Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim LAA Patch

A new patch is now automatically available on Steam for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, updating the RPG sequel to version 1.3.10.0. Word is this adds native support for Large Address Aware memory, and according to the Bethesda Blog it adds a bug-fix, as well:

• Support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware)
  • Fixed issue with accented characters not displaying properly at the end of a line

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 22, 2011, 23:09 Jerykk

In the unlikely event that anyone is still reading this thread, the guy behind SKSE has released a patch that improves performance by optimizing code, something which Bethesda clearly forgot to do:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1321575-rel-tesv-acceleration-layer/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 19:51 Jerykk

Since your CPU temperature seems fine, might be that something else is the culprit. But it cant hurt to check can it? I dont know how you overclock but it cant be more than two minutes work in BIOS and a reboot to try running the CPU at stock and see how the game performs.

Yeah, I tried running at stock speeds and my framerate still drops to 20 FPS in cities.

As Verno suggested, there's not much I can do except troubleshoot or upgrade. Since I highly doubt there's anything wrong with my system (I can run all other console ports at the same settings and rarely drop below 60 FPS), upgrading is the only thing at this point that could help and I'm not really going to upgrade because of one poorly-optimized game.

36. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 16:28 J

P.S. I have noticed that changing weapons/spells has been quickened now!  

35. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 16:10 J

It is entirely possible that I've goofed. I'm still on level 2 Unrelenting Force. Whilst I had done the quest I'd not yet been to Riverwood and returned to the Greybeards. I'm very much hoping that's what it is, as it was one of my fave parts!

If I have goofed then I hereby apologise for any double-takes, spit-takes, heart jumps, cardiac arrests, or any other reactions to my previous post.

34. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 15:47 Verno

J wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 15:31:
More disturbingly, it seems Unrelenting Force at max level no longer takes opponents off their feet! Blowing enemies off clifftops has become a little trickier now

First thing I am modding when I get home.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

33. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 15:31 J

More disturbingly, it seems Unrelenting Force at max level no longer takes opponents off their feet! Blowing enemies off clifftops has become a little trickier now :o

edit: Me being daft

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2011, 16:44.

32. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 14:47 avianflu

I took nvidia's suggestion on their tweak Skyrim page and turned off anisotropic in the game and turned it on in the driver settings and then enabled "high detail" also in the driver. Much nicer textures without using mods; though that damn crate texture that is used everywhere in the game is still blurry and crappy  

31. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 10:48 Silicon Avatar

Whiterun has a little building in it that must have geometry out the wazoo (or some other mistake) because when I remove the building I get an extra 10 fps in that area.

All the other areas in the game run smoothly.

I had to run the 4gig aware program for Fallout New Vegas to get rid of micro-stutter, but Skyrim doesn't have that problem for me which is a very welcome improvement.

30. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 10:22 Creston

Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 23:28:
Is there any reason why you haven't used one of the mods? Native support is very much preferable of course but I used a mod to get LAA support since about day 1.

I read a few scattered reports that LAA didn't work on the 1.3 patch, so I've held off on upgrading from 1.1. But mods that require Dragon Script or SKSE will only work on 1.3, because both script mods require 1.3

Creston

29. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 09:43 Verno

Troubleshooting overclocking issues isn't as simple as making sure your temperatures are ok but I'm not interested in sparking a hardware debate. Whether the game is well optimized or not, I doubt we'll see another performance patch specifically addressing a CPU architecture again. Your options are to troubleshoot or upgrade.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

28. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 09:25 InBlack

qsto wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 08:59:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 05:59:
Jerykk have you overclocked your CPU? Also Check your CPU temperature. If the answer to the first question is yes, try to run the game at stock CPU speeds and report your results. Hope this helps.

My CPU isn't overheating. It's just that Skyrim is poorly optimized and has wildly different performance across similar systems. Actually, that's not entirely true. From what I've read, nobody with a C2Q has gotten good performance, so it may just be that certain CPUs don't run the game well for no apparent reason. It's strange because Skyrim is still using Gamebryo and Bethesda's previous Gamebyro-based RPGs run about a million times better.
Always makes me cringe when the first thing some people ask when a game performance is at question, is whether or not your CPU overheats. Seriously, games don't even stress CPU anywhere near to the max, and a game like Skyrim doesn't max four native threads so it's completely moot. Certain areas like Solitude or Ragged Flagon are just poorly optimized. Shadows and multiple light sources in close quarters are the biggest strain on CPU.

And as far as CPU temps go, any CPU out there, whether OC'd or not, should be able to handle 12h of IntelBurnTest, or it's really no good for nothing. Simple as that.

Well Mr. knowitall, Im speaking from first-hand experience. My CPU was overheating due to a bad heatsink and it was affecting my performance. Drastically.

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 09:15 Shineyguy

Jerykk wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 06:31:
I have a C2Q and have had no issues once I managed to get my CPU temperature down.

What's your CPU clocked at? What do you consider an acceptable framerate and what settings are you running at?

As to your question, yes, I'm overclocked. However, my core temps stay in the low-to-mid 50's while running Skyrim, well within safe operating temperature for Core 2 Quads.

When I had my C2Q Q9550 (which was clocked at 4.0GHz) I didn't notice any slow downs on my system. Had an LAA patch, and kept my game at the same patch level after the first released patch.

Though I generally don't run AA in my games, if much at all, maybe 2xAA. At 1920x1200 I don't see a large need for it.

26. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 08:59 qsto

Jerykk wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 05:59:
Jerykk have you overclocked your CPU? Also Check your CPU temperature. If the answer to the first question is yes, try to run the game at stock CPU speeds and report your results. Hope this helps.

My CPU isn't overheating. It's just that Skyrim is poorly optimized and has wildly different performance across similar systems. Actually, that's not entirely true. From what I've read, nobody with a C2Q has gotten good performance, so it may just be that certain CPUs don't run the game well for no apparent reason. It's strange because Skyrim is still using Gamebryo and Bethesda's previous Gamebyro-based RPGs run about a million times better.
Always makes me cringe when the first thing some people ask when a game performance is at question, is whether or not your CPU overheats. Seriously, games don't even stress CPU anywhere near to the max, and a game like Skyrim doesn't max four native threads so it's completely moot. Certain areas like Solitude or Ragged Flagon are just poorly optimized. Shadows and multiple light sources in close quarters are the biggest strain on CPU.

And as far as CPU temps go, any CPU out there, whether OC'd or not, should be able to handle 12h of IntelBurnTest, or it's really no good for nothing. Simple as that.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2011, 09:10.

25. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 08:21 Kevin Lowe

Overon wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 00:36:
Large Address Aware, is that necessary for a 64 bit Windows system? I mean do you need to have that on even on a 64 bit Windows system?
The LAA flag basically tells 64-bit Windows (or certain 32-bit configurations) that the developers say it's okay for this program to go over 2GB without address bugs. Otherwise it stays inside of 2GB, even when the system has more addressable memory available.

A 64-bit program wouldn't need the flag, but a 32-bit one still does.

24. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 07:07 InBlack

CPU is at stock speed. Im running at ULTRA settings, except shadows which are on HIGH.

Graphics card is a Radeon HD 6870.

Hmmmm, im not really sure about CPU temp atm. I would have to check that though since Im at work right now.

An acceptable frame rate for me is one where the game runs smooth and I cant "feel" any drop in performance while gaming.

Since your CPU temperature seems fine, might be that something else is the culprit. But it cant hurt to check can it? I dont know how you overclock but it cant be more than two minutes work in BIOS and a reboot to try running the CPU at stock and see how the game performs.

23. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 06:31 Jerykk

I have a C2Q and have had no issues once I managed to get my CPU temperature down.

What's your CPU clocked at? What do you consider an acceptable framerate and what settings are you running at?

As to your question, yes, I'm overclocked. However, my core temps stay in the low-to-mid 50's while running Skyrim, well within safe operating temperature for Core 2 Quads.

22. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 06:20 InBlack

I asked about the overclock, because obviously the CPU would run much hotter when overclocked.

21. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 05:59 Jerykk

20. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 04:38 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 00:00:
It's good to see Bethesda releasing PC patches separately from the console ones. If I recall correctly, FO3 and Oblivion PC only got patches at the same time the console versions did (which was usually when new DLC was about to be released). I hope they release some more optimization patches, though, because current performance is pretty lackluster. There's no reason why a console port should take a 50% FPS hit whenever you go into town and even less reason why a console port should ever drop below 30 FPS on a system that runs every other console port at twice that.

19. Re: Skyrim LLA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 03:16 J

Kastagir wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 23:41:
The relative silence on the PC support forum shows that this was a successful update.

It's funny because it's true

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo