Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained

GamePron follows up on reports that the upcoming Syndicate shooter is Refused Classification for sale in Australia, offering the classification board's reason for not allowing the game's sale:

In order to complete the missions, a player has to engage in intense combat with swarms of enemy combatants who are clad in light armour. A variety of weapons is available and these often cause decapitation, dismemberment and gibbing during frenetic gunfights. For example, an intense sequence of violence commences when a player collects a “G290 minigun”, which operates much like a Gatling gun. A player moves through a building rapidly firing at enemy combatants. Combatants take locational damage and can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated or bisected by the force of the gunfire. The depictions are accompanied by copious bloodspray and injuries are shown realistically and with detail. Flesh and bone are often exposed while arterial sprays of blood continue to spurt from wounds at regular intervals.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 23:33 jdreyer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 00:42:
This all sounds like *really good* advertizement for Syndicate.

And besides, players in Australia will just order it overseas online or pirate it if they want to play. It's their economy that will take a loss for this ban, nothing more. Heads have been ripped off since Mortal Kombat and before.. it's not shocking in the eyes of most of today's mainstream gamers. Is TF2 illegal in Australia also? lol

Well, Mortal Combat is banned in Australia.

As for being a good advert, I agree. I was totally uninterested until this story got me to watch the trailers on youtube. I think the weaps and the gameplay look pretty cool actually, and now I am somewhat interested.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 14:16 Talisorn

Sleeeeepy wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 07:50:
Now if they'd just written "They took an IP with a fine history behind it and shoved it into an overused format with little need for the IP at all" as the reason for refusing classification they'd have probably gotten a lot more head nodding.

I won't be picking it up for that reason alone ... and not because it's RC over here.

That said, it shouldn't be ling before we get our R18+ rating.

10. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 10:32 Lobster

space captain wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 01:13:
Combatants take locational damage and can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated or bisected by the force of the gunfire. The depictions are accompanied by copious bloodspray and injuries are shown realistically and with detail. Flesh and bone are often exposed while arterial sprays of blood continue to spurt from wounds at regular intervals.

dude that sounds awesome

I was actually really skeptical about this game until I read that.

9. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 07:50 Sleeeeepy

Now if they'd just written "They took an IP with a fine history behind it and shoved it into an overused format with little need for the IP at all" as the reason for refusing classification they'd have probably gotten a lot more head nodding.  

8. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 05:14 Ventura

Definitely got my attention now too, and I live in Australia.

As I've said before though, nothing stopping me from picking it up from an overseas seller, and on the bright side it saves us from getting raped at retail like usual.

7. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 04:41 InBlack

Wow that little blurb from the Aussie censorship board is some of the best marketing Ive yet seen for this game.

Its telling me that this game might not end up sucking at all...will definitely be taking a look at this come release time...

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 01:20 Cutter

Well those sorts of things tend to happen when people get in the way of miniguns. That, however, doesn't prevent wars or reality from happening.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 01:13 space captain

Combatants take locational damage and can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated or bisected by the force of the gunfire. The depictions are accompanied by copious bloodspray and injuries are shown realistically and with detail. Flesh and bone are often exposed while arterial sprays of blood continue to spurt from wounds at regular intervals.

dude that sounds awesome

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 21, 2011, 00:42 Mordecai Walfish

This all sounds like *really good* advertizement for Syndicate.

And besides, players in Australia will just order it overseas online or pirate it if they want to play. It's their economy that will take a loss for this ban, nothing more. Heads have been ripped off since Mortal Kombat and before.. it's not shocking in the eyes of most of today's mainstream gamers. Is TF2 illegal in Australia also? lol

3. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 20, 2011, 23:22 Faceman

Sounds like Soldier of Fortune 2  

2. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 20, 2011, 22:50 Grokk

Yep, and won't become law for a few more months it seems.

The explanation was the same reason a previous game was banned *(refused classification). I can't remember the name of it, but it was the second in the series, and the game itself was crap, but the dismemberment/blood squirts etc.. made it mostly playable.

1. Re: Australia Syndicate Classification Refusal Explained Dec 20, 2011, 22:35 jdreyer

Hmm... I thought the new R18+ rating was made explicitly for games like this? What's the deal here? Why didn't this get the R18+ rating?

EDIT: Oh, I see what the problem is. R18+ has yet to become law.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2011, 22:44.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo