Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches

The official website for Star Wars: The Old Republic announces the launch of BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG is underway as planned. The site also offers a launch documentary called Your Saga Begins to mark the occasion. Here's word from the announcement:

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a story-driven, massively multiplayer online (MMO) game from BioWare and LucasArts, breaking new ground in online gaming by delivering high quality, fully voiced storylines with personal choice and consequences. Set thousands of years before the classic Star Wars movies, players will be immersed as they team up with friends online to fight in heroic battles reminiscent of the films, exploring a galaxy of vibrant planets and experiencing visceral Star Wars combat. Players will be asked to join forces with either the Galactic Republic or Sith Empire and choose one of eight iconic Star Wars characters, including the Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent. Set against a sweeping musical score, Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the most emotionally engaging online gaming experience ever.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 21:26 Leper

I think it was at least a couple of years before UO allowed warring player groups to fight each other in town without the guards intervening. That game changed massively in just the few years that I played it and I imagine it would be unrecognizable to me now.

These games evolve as long as they keep running, so I guess we'll see where this goes. It sounds like they have a good base to build upon and are listening to player feedback.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 10:19 Verno

No prob bud, I was just hijacking to reminisce a bit

Anyway I think EA will make their money back on this but where it will go from there is anyone's guess.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

84. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 10:13 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 08:59:
It would be great to see another UO type MMO. I've played many MMO's and my best memories come from UO with EQ (1st FPS MMO) a close second. Since then these "MMO's" have become very sliced up and less and less massive. In UO the cities were alive, seamless, and 100's of people around fighting, crafting, stealing, just seemed more like a "virtual" real world.

Yeah the faction battles and stuff in UO were fantastic. I really loved the big town invasions that would morph into brawls between various player groups. UO had no real storyline to speak of, the players drove the story themselves and it was a very engaging experience.

But even those took quite awhile to take off. It's not like these brawls were there in the first few weeks of the game launching. Heck, the only time anyone ever massively brawled in the beta was just before they were about to do a server wipe.

There will always be people that rush through all content in an MMO and then complain there's nothing to do, ignoring the fact they've devoured a hundred hours worth of content in the space of four days...

I agree that if there is nothing to do in the end game, the game wouldn't warrant a subscription, but I do have enough faith in Bioware that they're not that dumb, and that they're actively working on creating more content.

As someone said below, WoW had less end content when it launched.

Edit : Sorry, Verno. Kinda took your comment and sidetracked it a bit there.

Creston

83. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 09:47 InBlack

Verno wrote on Dec 21, 2011, 08:59:
It would be great to see another UO type MMO. I've played many MMO's and my best memories come from UO with EQ (1st FPS MMO) a close second. Since then these "MMO's" have become very sliced up and less and less massive. In UO the cities were alive, seamless, and 100's of people around fighting, crafting, stealing, just seemed more like a "virtual" real world.

Yeah the faction battles and stuff in UO were fantastic. I really loved the big town invasions that would morph into brawls between various player groups. UO had no real storyline to speak of, the players drove the story themselves and it was a very engaging experience.

Exactly! This is the only type of MMO I would currently consider playing. Ive tried EvE and although it is of a similar type, its simply too much of a timesink and feels like a big moneygrab because so much of the content seems inaccessible unless you are part of a huge corporation.

Unfortunately everyone is trying to dethrone WoW by pumping money into production values and 'superficially' copying it. This will only lead to fail, and as a result Blizzard has zero real competition. Not a single suit at EA and dare I say it BioWare has actually a clue about what is the essence of an MMO.

Im saddened by this as this will spell the end of big budget subscription based MMO's. At least those not produced by Blizzard.

I really believe that these games can be done well, if only the suits stopped worrying about dumbing down and gave some competent devs the chance to (re)make a modern Ultima Online (or something along those lines)

I have a nifty blue line!

82. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 08:59 Verno

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

81. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 08:57 Undocumented Alien

Massively Multiplayer: where are the huge Massive Battles, the large Raids, the Griefing, Guild Warfare, Raiding???

I very much like SW:TOR, but feel as though it is a borderline SP game. Seeing 20 other people in an instance certainly does not feel very massive.

80. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 07:09 Dades

So why do I stay? I've been told to get out a few times. I stay because I enjoy the stories, I enjoy the quips that Blue writes, and sometimes there are good discussions to be had. I stay because bullies need people to point out their crap pretty much everywhere.

I could be wrong. This is my opinion, and I don't (as someone here suggested) think myself better than anyone. I do think I'm right here, and I think that the negativity isn't good for this site, good for gaming, or good for the people who are spreading it. It's absolutely their right to say what they say. It's my right, in turn, to respond to it.

Most of the feedback for this game is positive and this forum mirrors many others in terms of that feedback. You sound like you're trying to bully people into having opinions that are closer to your own. Also you're on the internet, negativity is everywhere and it's just something you're going to have to deal with.

Massively Multiplayer: where are the huge Massive Battles, the large Raids, the Griefing, Guild Warfare, Raiding???

It has raiding if nothing else.

79. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 06:52 InBlack

Remember Age of Conan anyone?

Now that MMO had HUGE potential. Some of the best combat (if not the best) in any MMO, huge open areas, hardcore PvP both faction and non-faction based, great graphics.

And yet it failed, horribly.

One part where it was severly lacking was the endgame. This "smells" very similar to me.

I would even go so far as to say that as far as leveling content is concerned TOR is miles better than AoC was at the start, but that the endgame is even more lacking and that its missing its true component. Proper Multiplayer.

Its like a huge number of people have forgotten (or dont know) that the first two M's in MMORPG are the crux of any proper subscription based game.

Does TOR have any of these things? If it doesnt it doesnt warrant a subscription.

I have a nifty blue line!

78. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 06:11 Steele Johnson

Hudson wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 17:47:
InBlack wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 10:54:
I would have prefered a KOTOR 3.

This game IS KOTOR 3, only other people are running around in it. This game is basically 8 single player games (4 classes each side) with people running around in it that you can or cannot decide to group with

That's what it seems like to me.

77. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 06:02 Steele Johnson

This is your standard mmo that everyone is sick of. Same formula, different skin. People will be tired of it in a few months. And when games like Planetside 2, Firefall, and Guild Wars come out (not too long from now), you can say goodbye to this game.  

76. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 05:56 Graham

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 21:19:
PropheT wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 21:00:
Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 19:23:
Seriously. It's like being anti-gun but going to NRA meetings and then bitching about them. If you don't like the company, leave.

Really it's more like loving guns and going to an NRA rally only to find anti-gun people there... who all own guns. You have to admit that every single story is pretty much predictable for both the number of comments it gets and what kind of comments it will get, not to mention who's doing the commenting.

You're analogy is somewhat more applicable at times admittedly, but very few games have an all-out hate fest going on in Blues threads. Generally there's a mix of those who like the game, those who don't, those that love the game and want to have its children, and haters who so loathe the game in question that you can actually see the froth around their mouths from their rage.

Ironically, this thread had fewer all-out haters than many others on the subject of "The Old Republic", but he chose this one to lambast us all as haters.

No, I didn't chose to lambaste us all as haters... I say us because I've been reading Blues News since the days of Quake. I downloaded Q-test on a 28.8 modem from a link from this site.

What I did respond with was a mirror of a comment levelled at me calling me a typical "apologist". I snarked back calling Jeryk a typical commenter. My apologies to you if you feel I've lumped you in there. What I meant was what has been written above; that you can read the comments on almost any Blues story and find the usual suspects who will shit on almost everything, condemning the better portion of content in a hobby that we purport to love.

It irks me. Negativity is incredibly easy; doing something constructive is hard. These men (I presume we're mostly male here) chose to take the easy route. It's not analysis, and it's not constructive, it's the lowest common denominator for discussion.

Someone earlier in this thread chose to post some personal information about me in a vindictive way; that's the level of the sentiment from some people here - cruel and mean, always on the attack.

So why do I stay? I've been told to get out a few times. I stay because I enjoy the stories, I enjoy the quips that Blue writes, and sometimes there are good discussions to be had. I stay because bullies need people to point out their crap pretty much everywhere.

I could be wrong. This is my opinion, and I don't (as someone here suggested) think myself better than anyone. I do think I'm right here, and I think that the negativity isn't good for this site, good for gaming, or good for the people who are spreading it. It's absolutely their right to say what they say. It's my right, in turn, to respond to it.

75. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 21, 2011, 05:39 Graham

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 18:50:
Graham wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 18:11:
Your hypocrisy knows no bounds and your analytical skills are lacking. There's a definite back and forth here, and if you're attempting to argue that the comments on this site are generally positive then I think we can all acknowledge that you're trolling.

In a thousand years the comment logs of this site will be held as a sterling example of dour, crusty gamers who don't like things. Anyone who DOES end up liking something is branded an apologist. What nonsense.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MOMMY! I NEED BLANKY! Christ almighty, you just never, ever stop fucking whining from top of that ivory little towers of yours, don't you? Doesn't your over the top douchebag attitude crawl up on your own ass? People around you must fucking grind their teeth down to nubs over your superiority complex.

Anyway, if I counter your horseshit arguments you'll just quickly disappear again, like the last time I engaged your straw men bullshit, so on the dipshit list you go. Bye!

Creston

That's about as mature a response as we can expect from you. I don't disappear, it's just tiring calling you out on your nonsense daily.

Really, Cresty, what have you contributed to the common good of late? Not much. Not much at all.

74. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 23:48 raVen

I really want to check this out. I've been watching 2 guys play it at work. (We have some down time right now)
That being said: classes start Jan 9th, I really don't think I should pick this up for a while.

It looks like a lot of fun and the companions look really interesting with the ability to send them out to do objectives for you.
Having been a longtime wow player I'm really interested since Cataclysm was annoying. The holochrons in the worlds are interesting and I guess help people to explore more.
They've definitely done stuff that wow hasn't. (And other older MMOs too, but I haven't played some of the more recent ones like Rift)

73. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 21:37 Rusby

I'm having a great time in game. The more I play the more I am enjoying it. bioware has a hit on their hands!  

72. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 21:19 Prez

PropheT wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 21:00:
Seriously. It's like being anti-gun but going to NRA meetings and then bitching about them. If you don't like the company, leave.

Really it's more like loving guns and going to an NRA rally only to find anti-gun people there... who all own guns. You have to admit that every single story is pretty much predictable for both the number of comments it gets and what kind of comments it will get, not to mention who's doing the commenting.

You're analogy is somewhat more applicable at times admittedly, but very few games have an all-out hate fest going on in Blues threads. Generally there's a mix of those who like the game, those who don't, those that love the game and want to have its children, and haters who so loathe the game in question that you can actually see the froth around their mouths from their rage.

Ironically, this thread had fewer all-out haters than many others on the subject of "The Old Republic", but he chose this one to lambast us all as haters.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 21:17 eunichron

Dades wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 20:24:
The real question, that no one has an answer for, is how the endgame content's going to play out. Let's be honest - the leveling experience has been great thusfar, and I'm enjoying it, but the endgame content is where MMO players spend the majority of their time. And no one will really know what any of that's like for at least 3-6 months

Did you mean 3-6 days or weeks? People will hit cap long before 3 months rolls around and the end game content will be revealed to the casuals who are still midway through.

There are already at least 10 level 50s on my server (Anchorhead), and most of the people in my guild are late-20s to mid-30s. From the looks of it it seems as though they're following a model similar to Rift and WoW with multiple difficulties of PvE. Two raids at launch with 6 or 7 bosses total, which is more than what WoW had at launch. I think there is plenty there to hold people over until the first content patch... but it does remain to be seen what the content is as far as difficulty and ease of entrance into the endgame.

70. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 21:00 PropheT

69. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 20:24 Dades

The real question, that no one has an answer for, is how the endgame content's going to play out. Let's be honest - the leveling experience has been great thusfar, and I'm enjoying it, but the endgame content is where MMO players spend the majority of their time. And no one will really know what any of that's like for at least 3-6 months

Did you mean 3-6 days or weeks? People will hit cap long before 3 months rolls around and the end game content will be revealed to the casuals who are still midway through.

68. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 19:48 Devinoch

The real question, that no one has an answer for, is how the endgame content's going to play out. Let's be honest - the leveling experience has been great thusfar, and I'm enjoying it, but the endgame content is where MMO players spend the majority of their time. And no one will really know what any of that's like for at least 3-6 months. Hitting level cap isn't the end of the game. And I don't think anyone's really capable of judging how an MMO's going to do at launch. That's the biggest problem with working on them - you have no idea where you'll actually be in a year's time.

Me, I've enjoyed what I've played so far, I will continue to play more, I'm subscribed for 3 months past my initial month that comes with the game, and at that point, I'll reevaluate, but so far, I'm pretty dang impressed. It also doesn't hurt TOR any that Cataclysm's been pretty damn bad, with one of the worst storylines they've done as of yet. (Thrall as Jesus, Thrall does all the heavy lifting and the players are, mostly, tiny cogs in a big machine - what happened to making the players all epic, Blizzard? Alas.)

So, carry on, say it'll live forever or it'll die in six months. Neither is true; everything is expected.

~c.

67. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 19:40 space captain

Hallo! Iím Graham, co-author of More Massively Multiplayer Gems 2 (my mother is so proud of that). I like to think of myself as one of Canadaís emerging tech writers.

Currently I write for Future Shopís Tech Blog, and I write and curate both 360 Arcadians and PS3 Arcadians. I am a firm believer in the creative commons for content and rights protection; everything on this site is CC non-commercial, attribution, share-alike licensed. That means you can use it if youíre not earning money for it and as long as you credit me (thatís fair, right?)

You can Follow me on twitter, or subscribe to my RSS feed to stay up to date on what Iím up to.

Shouldnt you be a firm believer in free speech as well?

Hey, if you want to whine about the whining, go right ahead - but dont act like you are some kind of MLK/Ghandi hero because of it... in fact, you are AT THE SAME FUCKING LEVEL AS EVERYONE ELSE

Go forth, and kill!

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo