Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia

Though it seems Australia will soon be getting their long-awaited R18+ rating for adult games, this apparently will not arrive in time for Syndicate, as GamePron has word that the upcoming first-person shooter reboot has been refused classification for sale down under. In effect, this means the game will not be legal to sell, distribute, or display in the region. It is not clear at this time what game content caused this decision.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 21, 2011, 03:46 Jackplug

Who would want to live somewhere that when even an adult your not classed as one. Just reminds me of North Korea, being told what you can do, watch, use and so on. Ok its not NK, but to be told when your 18/25 that you must be protected by the goverment to know what you can watch/play is pretty scarey shit!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 22:32 rickoles

Maybe it's got something to do with the overthrown government and the world being run by corporations?

With the recent '99%' protests they might be afraid of content like this sparking ideas of a revolution? Probably far fetched but it does seem like the world is getting to that stage of media control.

12. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 22:17 Fletch

Maybe they all played the original game and think this version is an abomination.

11. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 22:04 Steroid

Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 13:59:
For instance, my understanding is that the L4D series of games in regions like that its censored so there's no blood and bodies disappear the instant they touch the ground. I've seen games before that change blood to green or whatever.

Actually it's worse than that, if you use explosive ammo, the enemies simply disappear when hit, no animation what so ever!

10. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 19:41 Prez

Wow, the Aussie government really has its collective head up its collective ass when it comes to that whole "freedom" thing.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

9. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 18:47 CommunistHamster

It's usually drug references that kill ratings in Oz.  

8. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 15:01 Dmitri_M

They're hoping to avoid a new generation of convicts but having been there I can say they've already lost that battle. Mate.  

7. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 14:58 Halo

Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 13:59:
Sacrifex wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 12:42:
If games got censored just to sell down under, you'd be playing My Little Pony 142 instead of real games. Banning games is their bread and butter - it's nothing new.

No developer has taken them seriously as a market - for good reason, given the conditions - and by association, if a mangled, unworkable censored version gets released, it's only for a quick cash grab on the overcharged Aussies.
I don't know if thats the case. Many devs will release a version to comply with german stuff that also complies with austrailian stuff at the same time.

"Syndicate will not launch in Australia next year and EA will not alter the original game or seek an appeal. The publisher informed Joystiq this afternoon that it finds the Australian government's policy to deny adults the right to play Syndicate "regrettable."

"The game will not be available in Australia despite its enthusiastic response from fans. We were encouraged by the government's recent agreement to adopt an 18+ age rating for games. However, delays continue to force an arcane censorship on games cuts that would never be imposed on books or movies," EA Corporate Communications' Tiffany Steckler wrote Joystiq in a statement. "We urge policy makers to take swift action to implement an updated policy that reflects today's market and gives its millions of adult consumers the right to make their own content choices."

Syndicate was recently refused classification in Australia, due to it being "unsuitable for a minor to see or play." Australian classification standards reject classification for video games only deemed suitable for citizens over the age of 15."

Joystiq

6. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 13:59 Dev

Sacrifex wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 12:42:
If games got censored just to sell down under, you'd be playing My Little Pony 142 instead of real games. Banning games is their bread and butter - it's nothing new.

No developer has taken them seriously as a market - for good reason, given the conditions - and by association, if a mangled, unworkable censored version gets released, it's only for a quick cash grab on the overcharged Aussies.
I don't know if thats the case. Many devs will release a version to comply with german stuff that also complies with austrailian stuff at the same time.

For instance, my understanding is that the L4D series of games in regions like that its censored so there's no blood and bodies disappear the instant they touch the ground. I've seen games before that change blood to green or whatever.

5. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 12:42 Sacrifex

It's got to be pretty crappy to be a gamer there - besides being charged double what some areas are, getting to be the running gag for the rest of the world's gamers has to suck.

4. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 12:31 Overon

Wow so that may mean Syndicate get censored in Australia and by extension everywhere else. I hope not.  

3. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 12:00 Slashman

What? There's no 'Generic Corridor Shooter' rating down under?  

2. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 11:45 Cutter

Up yer bum, Aus!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

1. Re: Syndicate Refused Classification in Australia Dec 20, 2011, 11:23 Creston

I'm gonna guess the part where you slide tentacles in a guy's head and rip his chip out through his skull.

Creston

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo