Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Holiday Sale

The Steam Holiday Sale is now underway. In addition to savings, this incorporates two promotions, as outlined in these Holiday Sale Instructions. There are new deals each day, listed on the Steam Store Front Page along with a list of mega deals that offer the entire catalogues from several publishers for between 77% and 86% off. Here's word:

The Steam Holiday Sale is on now through Sunday, January 1, 2012. In addition to huge savings throughout the store, the 2011 sale features two special promotions that allow you to win like never before.

The Great Gift Pile challenges gamers to complete up to six objectives each day. Completion of each objective grants the chance to win a free game or discount coupons for select games available on Steam. If you don’t win, no worries, you’ll be given a piece of coal. But hold onto that coal!

Why?

Coal is the ticket to enter the Epic Holiday Giveaway. It’s called Epic because the top prize is every game on Steam. The more coal you have, the better your chance of winning. Players may alternatively choose to magically mix their coal into something shiny and new by “crafting” seven pieces into a gift from the Great Gift Pile. So this year receiving coal is a good thing.

Didn’t get what you want? Of course Steam allows you to trade coal and prizes with your friends.

Further details on these events and information on how it’s progressing may be found here.

Complete information on all the savings, daily deals, featured publisher game packs, compilations and more may be found on www.steampowered.com.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

62. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:41 nin

Whoo - 25% off any valve game. Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:20 theyarecomingforyou

Halo wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 17:13:
Try adding 100 percentage points.
Wrong. Adding 100% points would increase it by 100% points. Adding 100% would increase it by nothing. Take a calculator, type in 0 and add 100% - you get 0. If you had no chance of winning without entering then there is no percentage that you can add that will increase it - you either have a chance of winning or you don't. You certainly don't increase your odds by 100%. That's nonsense.

Anyway, the Steam servers seem to be back to normal though I still seem to be missing a gift. You're supposed to get a gift simply by checking your inventory and then receive another gift for doing so... I didn't receive the second gift.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

60. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:15 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 19:03:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 18:40:
I have had nothing, but problems with Steam. I shudder every time I have to buy a game through them, their customer support is beyond horrendous.

I can't think that Origin can do any worse.

If you only buy from Steam during their year-end sales, it probably would make you pretty angsty where Steam is concerned. The rest of the year, however, the buying process is smooth as silk and as easy as can be. If my ever-growing, massive Steam library is any indication, it is probably TOO easy.

I'm with you on the customer service thing, though. The only way it could be worse is if they had a local rep come to your house and kick you in the balls after you submit a support ticket. Luckily I hardly ever need support.

I wonder why there are problems. The tater ARG for Portal 2 was hugely successful. I also didn't have any problems (or hear of any) during the previous sale on Turkey day. I also don't recall any problems as bad as this during the last year's sale.

Now. What is causing this? Did they back off the hardware even more? Did something break? Did they not anticipate the huge load of users for their storefront this time around? Did games like Skyrim and other new Steamworks games bring in THAT many new users that are now taxing the system?

I dunno. Be interesting if they shared info with us.

/and I am sure they have no problems with marketing to clients, etc. But this wouldn't look good to me if I was a new client thinking about getting my product in there. Yea, I get it - they are huge and successful, and my product would reach millions more than I could, but this is kinda crappy...

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2011, 19:23.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

59. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:14 Dev

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 13:47:
Their servers must be getting pounded. I'm getting errors and blank screens in the Steam app. Refreshing will sometimes fix it. Sometimes I just get another mostly blank screen.
That happens with EVERY big steam sale. It also happens with big game releases. Its happened frequently enough that valve has all sorts of data on the servers they need to handle the load and the rate of increase every year... but don't bother to buy. You'd think if they did nothing else with servers, they'd get servers enough to handle people wanting to give them money.

In fact, if you look at the steam stats on their content servers they are almost never at 100% which means its in the load balancing system somewhere (if the load balancing servers can't properly handle and distribute the load to fill the content to 100%, then they are wasting money on the content server capacity); and/or perhaps the store system servers which is what they need to get the money, which should be the top priority. Valve has oodles of money, there's really no excuse they haven't fixed this yet.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2011, 19:26.

58. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:03 Prez

I have had nothing, but problems with Steam. I shudder every time I have to buy a game through them, their customer support is beyond horrendous.

If you only buy from Steam during their year-end sales, it probably would make you pretty angsty where Steam is concerned. The rest of the year, however, the buying process is smooth as silk and as easy as can be. If my ever-growing, massive Steam library is any indication, it is probably TOO easy.

I'm with you on the customer service thing, though. The only way it could be worse is if they had a local rep come to your house and kick you in the balls after you submit a support ticket. Luckily I hardly ever need support.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:02 Elricsi

I understand that the odds are low with millions of steam members. But has anyone ever known of someone that won a prize package? By know, I mean a steam friend, friend of a friend or Blues News poster.  

56. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:01 jimnms

I got a 50% off any Valve published game. I already own all the eligible game though.  

Steam Profile

55. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 18:58 Ventura

To be honest, my experiences paint a very different picture. Granted, peak time usage can be a little problematic, especially when it's for a round of specials that's only just started, but for the most part it's been smooth sailing.

I still had one or two problems this morning, but once I've decided on a purchase, it's pretty much smooth sailing the rest of the way.

54. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 18:40 Ozmodan

53. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 17:38 Creston

Viper114 wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:15:
Yeah, the servers are getting pounded. Lots of errors and refusals to load. Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

I love how Valve said six months ago that they were taking these problems "very seriously" and were going to "fix them as soon as possible."

Six months later, and the system still grinds to a halt. I guess nobody at Valve thinks that fixing Steam's woeful server capacity is "interesting." :\

Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2011, 17:45.

52. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 17:21 panbient

Either their servers are getting bombed or their page is broken but today's Holiday action isn't loading. I wouldn't mind trying some of those achievements if I could get the list to load.

Are they also done with the Wishlist giveaways?

51. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 17:13 Halo

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 16:21:
Halo wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:31:
Your chances at winning are 100% percent greater by entering though.
That's not how percentages work. If you have 0% of chance of winning and you add 100% you end up with... 0%.

Try adding 100 percentage points.

50. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 17:10 Ventura

Took me 15 minutes of refreshing the main store page before it showed up, but it's working now. Mostly.

Just spent $5.34 on Orcs Must Die (game + all DLC). Just yesterday a mate highly recommended that one, so pretty good timing all in all.

I love their sales, seriously. When local stores have a 'sale' you're lucky if something's 25% off, but here it's like 75%. Too good to resist.

49. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:52 Acleacius

Steam, crashed.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

48. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:50 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 16:29:
Bhruic wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 16:26:
Wow, Dead Island at 50% off was a good bargin, but 83% off? No excuse not to get it at that price.
It's 33% off... so, more expensive than yesterday. The earlier price was a mistake.
Never been so happy to find out something is more expensive than I'd thought.

(bought it on the 50% sale)

47. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:47 CeeJay

I also noticed Just Cause 2 at 75% off .. I didn't get to see what price that was before I got a 503.

Just Cause 2 is one of my favourite games .. at good deal at any price.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

46. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:46 Krovven

Overon wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 15:45:
Actually it is a lottery. And I don't know what the law is regarding having to be provided with odds and since they don't I'm going to assume that they don't have to. And it does matter to most rationale people when they play a game of chance what their odds are of winning. And being rationale, I want to know what the odds are.

This isnt some large state or corporate lottery worth millions of dollars, which we both know is what your first comparison was referring to. Rational people don't worry about odds of winning when you don't have to put money out for your chance to win video games.

45. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:39 Overon

I got portal 2 and I already bought orcs must die for 5 bucks when they had that day sale with all of it's dlc for 5 bucks.

44. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:33 Bhruic

It's 33% off... so, more expensive than yesterday. The earlier price was a mistake.

Ah, I thought it was too good to be true. Wonder if they honoured orders at the lower price?

43. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 16:30 Prez

For anyone interested but unable to get onto Steam's store page:

In the time I was able to get online I noticed:

"Fable 3" for 12.50 with its DLC on sale
The "Runaway" adventure series on sale for 75% off.
"Orcs Must Die" for 3.75 (Gamers must buy!)
The Max Payne games for 75% off.
"Rift" was on sale but "not in my region" so it said.
"Portal" for 2.50 and "Portal 2" for 7.50.
"Singularity" for 7.50.
"Metro 2033" for 5 bucks.
The "Sam and Max" complete series for - I can't remember.
"Bunch of Heroes" for 2.50

EDIT: Oh yeah - Forgot "Amnesia" for 5 bucks. I tried to buy 2 copies so 'Santa Prez' could give them away as gifts, but maybe later.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2011, 17:03.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo