Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Holiday Sale

The Steam Holiday Sale is now underway. In addition to savings, this incorporates two promotions, as outlined in these Holiday Sale Instructions. There are new deals each day, listed on the Steam Store Front Page along with a list of mega deals that offer the entire catalogues from several publishers for between 77% and 86% off. Here's word:

The Steam Holiday Sale is on now through Sunday, January 1, 2012. In addition to huge savings throughout the store, the 2011 sale features two special promotions that allow you to win like never before.

The Great Gift Pile challenges gamers to complete up to six objectives each day. Completion of each objective grants the chance to win a free game or discount coupons for select games available on Steam. If you don’t win, no worries, you’ll be given a piece of coal. But hold onto that coal!

Why?

Coal is the ticket to enter the Epic Holiday Giveaway. It’s called Epic because the top prize is every game on Steam. The more coal you have, the better your chance of winning. Players may alternatively choose to magically mix their coal into something shiny and new by “crafting” seven pieces into a gift from the Great Gift Pile. So this year receiving coal is a good thing.

Didn’t get what you want? Of course Steam allows you to trade coal and prizes with your friends.

Further details on these events and information on how it’s progressing may be found here.

Complete information on all the savings, daily deals, featured publisher game packs, compilations and more may be found on www.steampowered.com.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 21, 2011, 06:45 Ant

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 21:42:
wallace321 wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 21:29:
Is everybody getting games they already have to encourage gifting/trading?
That's what I am thinking too, I got HF2 Ep1 which I already have, a couple of friends also got games they already own.
I think I still have HL2 (HF2???) ep. 1 from Orange Box that I haven't given away.

What games do you and others have? Maybe I will take those games?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2011, 09:31 rkone

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 19:20:
Halo wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 17:13:
Try adding 100 percentage points.
Wrong. Adding 100% points would increase it by 100% points. Adding 100% would increase it by nothing. Take a calculator, type in 0 and add 100% - you get 0. If you had no chance of winning without entering then there is no percentage that you can add that will increase it - you either have a chance of winning or you don't. You certainly don't increase your odds by 100%. That's nonsense.
Actually to calculate your increase % you'd take your new odds, subtract the old odds to find the change and then divide that by your old odds. So if you have a 75% chance of winning and before you had a 25% chance of winning, you have increased your odds by (75-25)/25 x 100% = 200%!
So if your old chances of winning are 0 (which is common if you don't enter), then gaining even the smallest chance of winning by entering means you have inceased your odds infinitely simply by entering (since dividing by 0 = infinity). Of course if your odds are winning are 0 even after entering, then your "increase" is 0/0 which is simply undefined.

Sorry. Math major.

80. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2011, 07:18 Signatus

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 07:13:
Do we get all the days to play the games from all the days to get the stuff? I just dont have the time and some of the things were bugged last night not working.....

That used to be the case in previous similar "contests". The timer is only related to the actual discount on the games, but the objectives are valid during the whole Holiday Season.

79. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2011, 07:16 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 07:13:
Do we get all the days to play the games from all the days to get the stuff? I just dont have the time and some of the things were bugged last night not working.....
We'll see tomorrow

From the last sale event thing, I think they let you earn the tickets from past days, but something else they didn't let you do from past days. I don't remember exactly.

78. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2011, 07:13 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

77. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2011, 03:18 Dev

Someone found a fix for inventory on the steam forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27090667&postcount=16
Basically, run TF2, move something in inventory backpack, exit.

All my coal showed up when I did that. So now I properly have the valve coupon and 3 pieces of coal.

76. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 23:08 Silicon Avatar

I noticed Geneforge saga was $10.

If anyone else is into those I've heard they are pretty good.

They're really old school style RPGs so check screen shots before you buy. A lot of people will probably be put off by the graphics.

Avadon is on sale. Same publisher. Similar style.

75. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 22:56 xXBatmanXx

I got the 50% coupon free. (not gold - to be used jan 2 or after)
Then I did the cheevo for Orcs Must Die and got: Holiday Sale 2011 Gift: Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition

It was in my wishlist. Score!!!!

Coupon says:
50% off any one title on Steam listed with Valve as the publisher.
Excludes titles released after January 2nd, 2012.

(Valid January 2nd, 2012 through March 1st, 2012)

I will trade it or if someone needs any Valve games....I have had all of them since the start....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

74. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 22:39 Dev

BTW, I just noticed the contest page says Gold Coupons CAN be used during the sale. Most other coupons are only valid after the sale.

I'm curious if the 25% coupons ppl have are gold or not. My 50% valve one is NOT gold.

73. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 21:48 Umbragen

I haven't started half the games I bought during the Summer Sale.

And FWIW, the Great Gift Pile Contest sucks balls.

72. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 21:42 SpectralMeat

wallace321 wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 21:29:
Is everybody getting games they already have to encourage gifting/trading?
That's what I am thinking too, I got HF2 Ep1 which I already have, a couple of friends also got games they already own.

Steam: SpectralMeat

71. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 21:31 Dev

Ventura wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 21:16:
Considering that, at any given moment, there's 2-4 million people signed in to Steam... yeah.
Today, its more like 3 to 5

I'm thinking the contest entries are closer to a small lottery in terms of chances of winning, so I guess its better to convert the lumps of coal.

70. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 21:29 wallace321

The gift I got was Hoard - of course I already have it so I'd be happy to trade it if anybody is interested.

Someone got Quake 4? Seriously? I bought the id complete pack at one point and I don't even have that. Is everybody getting games they already have to encourage gifting/trading?

69. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 21:24 killer_roach

Ventura wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 21:16:
Elricsi wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 19:02:
I understand that the odds are low with millions of steam members. But has anyone ever known of someone that won a prize package? By know, I mean a steam friend, friend of a friend or Blues News poster.

Not me, and I was entering that wishlist competition every day.

I happened on a thread somewhere in the Steam forums with a huge list of all the games that had been given out, and there were one or two posters writing in to say that friends had won.

It gives you some idea of how many people are using the service.

Considering that, at any given moment, there's 2-4 million people signed in to Steam... yeah.

68. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 21:16 Ventura

Elricsi wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 19:02:
I understand that the odds are low with millions of steam members. But has anyone ever known of someone that won a prize package? By know, I mean a steam friend, friend of a friend or Blues News poster.

Not me, and I was entering that wishlist competition every day.

I happened on a thread somewhere in the Steam forums with a huge list of all the games that had been given out, and there were one or two posters writing in to say that friends had won.

It gives you some idea of how many people are using the service.

67. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 21:05 Prez

Rhialto wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 19:54:
I've been given Quake 4 and 50% on any Valve game. I don't think I have the time to play Quake 4 with childrens and work... Since they are born, I always need to carefully select the games I really want to play.

I guess I will have to gift someone... but my friends list is empty, because I'm not involved in online gaming that much. I play L4D2 sometimes and rarely TF2. I was playing Diablo II again a lot in the last few weeks but it's fading now. Damn, if only I would have had access to the beta instead!

When I will have completed my hardware upgrade in a few months, my plans are to play both Metro 2033, Diablo III and the just recently discovered Trine 2 (so *** gorgous in 3D!) and I want to revisit all S.T.A.L.K.E.R. once.

Oh well!

I'm not whoring myself for Quake 4 or anything (okay, maybe I am...), but if you need a friend to take it off your hands friend "Prez" (same avatar as up there in the top right corner).

EDIT; Damn, Killer Roach got dibs.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

66. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 20:42 Dev

I should have 4 things, but my inventory only shows a 50% off valve coupon (I'm pretty sure I recognize the rest of my gifts as something I've gotten from packs before). I have 0 lumps of coal so thats not it either. Go steam!

Anyone need a 50% off valve coupon? I own all valve games. I'd like to give it to someone who is going to use it.

Also in my trade inventory is HL2 ep1, orange box, TF2 (ahahahha yeah thats worthless now), portal 1, Serious Sam 1&2 classic versions. If anyone has a decent offer I wouldn't mind trading some away.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2011, 21:32.

65. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 20:31 killer_roach

Rhialto wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 19:54:
I've been given Quake 4 and 50% on any Valve game. I don't think I have the time to play Quake 4 with childrens and work... Since they are born, I always need to carefully select the games I really want to play.

I guess I will have to gift someone... but my friends list is empty, because I'm not involved in online gaming that much. I play L4D2 sometimes and rarely TF2. I was playing Diablo II again a lot in the last few weeks but it's fading now. Damn, if only I would have had access to the beta instead!

When I will have completed my hardware upgrade in a few months, my plans are to play both Metro 2033, Diablo III and the just recently discovered Trine 2 (so *** gorgous in 3D!) and I want to revisit all S.T.A.L.K.E.R. once.

Oh well!

I have a gift for the Jamestown complete pack - I'll trade you for it. My Steam name is the same as my name here.

64. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 20:05 Krovven

Now that I'm home I took a closer look at the info for the Valve coupons. "Valid Jan 2nd, 2012 to March 1, 2012". Makes the coupons really kinda useless. May as well get what you want from the Holiday Sale, which will be cheaper than using the coupon after Jan 2.

63. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 19:54 Rhialto

Oh well!

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo