Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Holiday Sale

The Steam Holiday Sale is now underway. In addition to savings, this incorporates two promotions, as outlined in these Holiday Sale Instructions. There are new deals each day, listed on the Steam Store Front Page along with a list of mega deals that offer the entire catalogues from several publishers for between 77% and 86% off. Here's word:

The Steam Holiday Sale is on now through Sunday, January 1, 2012. In addition to huge savings throughout the store, the 2011 sale features two special promotions that allow you to win like never before.

The Great Gift Pile challenges gamers to complete up to six objectives each day. Completion of each objective grants the chance to win a free game or discount coupons for select games available on Steam. If you don’t win, no worries, you’ll be given a piece of coal. But hold onto that coal!

Why?

Coal is the ticket to enter the Epic Holiday Giveaway. It’s called Epic because the top prize is every game on Steam. The more coal you have, the better your chance of winning. Players may alternatively choose to magically mix their coal into something shiny and new by “crafting” seven pieces into a gift from the Great Gift Pile. So this year receiving coal is a good thing.

Didn’t get what you want? Of course Steam allows you to trade coal and prizes with your friends.

Further details on these events and information on how it’s progressing may be found here.

Complete information on all the savings, daily deals, featured publisher game packs, compilations and more may be found on www.steampowered.com.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

22. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:53 Jerykk

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:50:
Verno wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:35:
What kind of games do you normally enjoy?
No real genre preference, but I do prefer games with strong single player campaigns/play. HL2 was the last FPS I played to completion. In the past year spent quite a bit of time with Minecraft and Terraria. Tried the latest Deus Ex, but didn't get far. Wasted some time on Orcs Must Die, did about a dozen levels before getting bored with it. Spent some time with Plants vs. Zombies and a couple of other PopCap games.

In the past I played a ton of Starcraft, Warcraft 2 & 3, the first two CoDs, and six years of WoW. Oddly I didn't get far in SC2, I should probably try that again.

Tried the latest Deus Ex, but didn't get far.

What didn't you like about DX:HR? If you enjoy strong single-player campaigns, DX:HR seems like an ideal candidate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:50 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:35:
No real genre preference, but I do prefer games with strong single player campaigns/play. HL2 was the last FPS I played to completion. In the past year spent quite a bit of time with Minecraft and Terraria. Tried the latest Deus Ex, but didn't get far. Wasted some time on Orcs Must Die, did about a dozen levels before getting bored with it. Spent some time with Plants vs. Zombies and a couple of other PopCap games.

In the past I played a ton of Starcraft, Warcraft 2 & 3, the first two CoDs, and six years of WoW. Oddly I didn't get far in SC2, I should probably try that again.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:38 Aero

Might have to get Amnesia. But seriously, I don't know if I have the balls to play it. For $5, I'll take the chance though.  

19. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:35 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:34:
You know, after more than three decades of being a gamer, I think I might have flamed out. At the very least, I apparently need a break from gaming because I'm sure there must be a game being sold here which would be well worth my time especially at these prices. But after looking around for an hour or so -- I don't feel like buying any of them. Makes me a bit sad actually...

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

18. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:35 Viper114

I didn't even get a coupon, the system is so buggy right now it says I have a gift in my inventory, but my inventory says there is no gift. Lame...  

17. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:34 Mr. Tact

You know, after more than three decades of being a gamer, I think I might have flamed out. At the very least, I apparently need a break from gaming because I'm sure there must be a game being sold here which would be well worth my time especially at these prices. But after looking around for an hour or so -- I don't feel like buying any of them. Makes me a bit sad actually...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:31 Halo

Krovven wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:26:
Overon wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:21:
This contest is so convoluted and it just hides the fact that your odds of winning are so low.

Uhh it's the same format as the Summer Sale. BooHoo you have a limited chance to win, nevermind that you get free stuff just for participating. Don't like it, don't participate, nobody is forcing you. Some whiners will never be happy even if handed free stuff on a silver platter.

Your chances at winning are 100% percent greater by entering though.

15. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:30 xXBatmanXx

Krovven wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:26:
This contest is so convoluted and it just hides the fact that your odds of winning are so low.

Uhh it's the same format as the Summer Sale. BooHoo you have a limited chance to win, nevermind that you get free stuff just for participating. Don't like it, don't participate, nobody is forcing you. Some whiners will never be happy even if handed free stuff on a silver platter.

Exactly. I will be spending the evening playing the games i the list (I own all except 3) and trying for more free games and coupons. My free gift just for clicking was a 50% off any Valve title. Boy that sucks! hhahahehehehehe

Feel free to send me your coupons if you don't want to play!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:27 Verno

Ooook..someone's in the Christmas spirit.  

13. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:26 Krovven

12. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:25 Viper114

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:23:
Yeah, the Store page keeps timing out for me. It's getting nailed harder than a board at a carpentry contest. PLEASE get HOMM VI on sale asap and at a good price, PLEASE! That's all I effing want! anything else is gravy.

I think HOMM VI is exempt, as when you check the Ubisoft Developer Deal they have, they explicitly say it, ANNO 2070 and AC Revelations are excluded from the deal.

11. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:23 Cutter

Yeah, the Store page keeps timing out for me. It's getting nailed harder than a board at a carpentry contest. PLEASE get HOMM VI on sale asap and at a good price, PLEASE! That's all I effing want! anything else is gravy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:21 Overon

9. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:20 Kythlyn

I look forward to this every year. Thanks, Steam!!  

8. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:15 Viper114

Yeah, the servers are getting pounded. Lots of errors and refusals to load. Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

I'm definitely getting Fable 3 for that price. $50 was a bit much, but $17.50 for it and ALL DLC it too good to pass up. And if it weren't for the fact that I already own them, I'd get things like Metro 2033, Singularity and Max Payne.

Now let's hope there's even better deals in the future!

7. a Dec 19, 2011, 13:59 Blackhawk

<fear>

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2012, 09:03.

6. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 13:57 necrosis

Verno wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 13:45:
It has begun, my credit card is crying already.
Seriously. I spend more money on Steam games at Christmas then any other time.

Buying a lot of titles 'just to have' as well.

5. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 13:57 Krovven

System is overloaded atm. My 25% off a Valve product was in my inventory and now it's not, but the tab still shows there being 2 items (only displaying 1). I tried to buy someone the Valve Complete Pack and it didnt give me an option to apply the 25% discount. So I went back to Inventory and it was gone...

I also noticed they have a crap ton of display errors, prices missing, cant get rid of the Daily Deal overlay, etc.

4. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 13:52 DG

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 13:47:
Their servers must be getting pounded. I'm getting errors and blank screens in the Steam app. Refreshing will sometimes fix it. Sometimes I just get another mostly blank screen.
yeah it's fallen over and it's what, lunchtime in the US?

3. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 13:50 Verno

Orcs Must Die for $4, Just Cause 2 for $5, Max Payne for a few bucks, etc. Singularity for $7.50 isn't bad, likewise Rift is $7.50 worth of fun if you play the free 30 days and never sub. Fable III is $20 but that's still a rip IMO. Portal 2 for $7.50 is a steal.  

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo