Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'd be happier if one of them didn't victimize the Giants, but all the upsets in the NFL yesterday were an awesome example of why I enjoy tackle football so much. The undefeated Packers getting their first loss on the same day the winless Colts tallied their first victory? The only thing that could have been cooler than that is if that happened because the two were playing each other.

Upset Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Greens Survive Only When Reds Die.
Santa Rockstar 4.
Links: 8-bit boy & super 16-bit keychain.
I am Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Stories: North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies 'of heart attack'. Thanks Digg.
South Carolina has first human rabies case in 50 years.
Science: Self-cleaning cotton nanoparticle coating invented.
LEDs offer a brighter future, says report.
Secrets of pop success revealed, scientists claim.
Media: Google Maps is Watching You. Thanks Google Maps Mania.
All the very best fails of 2011.
Giant Pinball Game.
Follow-up: Ohm My Word.
OverAnalyzers Episode #9- Bond Part 1 and Part 2. NSFW.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 20, 2011, 09:07 Verno

Enahs wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 22:03:
So, I got Rage over the Steam Thanksgiving sales. Steam says I put it 13 hours for it. It did seem like longer then that, I will be honest. But in a good way. I enjoyed it, it was nothing great, but it was good fun. The texture popping issue for me was not that major. If you judge it by the very start of the game and when you first start playing, you will have it wrong. It seems after the games has loaded up and ran for a little, it must cache more in memory or something, because it became a much less of an issue to me; though sometimes still apparent. The low res textures for lots of things were annoying, but not to bad over all.

It was a simple fun game, I enjoyed it. But damn, did it end quick and easy like everybody said. Before the final mission you get a bad ass weapon, and there is tons of ammo around for it on that mission, plus I had 100 advanced wing sticks. Between the two, when it come to fighting the "hoard" *cough* of baddies at the end, I was able to just essentially take them all out by just pointing my mouse at them and hitting one button. That was rather disappointing. There was only really "one" boss in the game. I applaud them for trying something different and not having a big boss battle at the end, but it was a major let down.

I paid $20 for it, and I will not complain. If money is not tight for you, that is well worth the price.

I guess I was really let down by the game. It felt like a mishmash of other games, as if id was just cribbing elements from other popular franchises but never really exploring them fully. I could have liked it more if they had gone whole hog with some of those things, a fully fleshed out explorable world for example. That at least would have justified the racing a bit more. Conversations and questing with NPCs were so rudimentary that it felt shoehorned, they could have gone a lot further with that as well. Everything just felt half assed in implementation but oddly polished on the surface, like a spit shined turd.

I liked that the AI was decent, it's rare to see these days. Graphically the game was impressive, animations in particular were excellent. The sound and music weren't bad but they were just kind of there, I never really got into it. The value proposition for me at launch was terrible, the game barely functioned for the first week and the multiplayer was a non-starter.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 22:06 Enahs

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 13:15:
Open thy wallets......Steam Sale starts NOW~! wooohoooo!!!!!
http://store.steampowered.com/holidaysale/

Not much left for me to buy, but maybe some things on my list will go cheap or Skyrim will go on sale.

!!!!!!!BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! Good start!
50% off any 1 title.

Goign to need some help in Bunch of Heroes (Prez/Krovven) there is a survival cheevo.

It is only 50% of any 1 Valve published title, and you have a 3 month grace period to use it and it has to be titles from this year. But it is still useful for some; thought I suspect a lot of people here, not so much as we already have those games!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

14. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 22:03 Enahs

So, I got Rage over the Steam Thanksgiving sales. Steam says I put it 13 hours for it. It did seem like longer then that, I will be honest. But in a good way. I enjoyed it, it was nothing great, but it was good fun. The texture popping issue for me was not that major. If you judge it by the very start of the game and when you first start playing, you will have it wrong. It seems after the games has loaded up and ran for a little, it must cache more in memory or something, because it became a much less of an issue to me; though sometimes still apparent. The low res textures for lots of things were annoying, but not to bad over all.

It was a simple fun game, I enjoyed it. But damn, did it end quick and easy like everybody said. Before the final mission you get a bad ass weapon, and there is tons of ammo around for it on that mission, plus I had 100 advanced wing sticks. Between the two, when it come to fighting the "hoard" *cough* of baddies at the end, I was able to just essentially take them all out by just pointing my mouse at them and hitting one button. That was rather disappointing. There was only really "one" boss in the game. I applaud them for trying something different and not having a big boss battle at the end, but it was a major let down.

I paid $20 for it, and I will not complain. If money is not tight for you, that is well worth the price.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 21:32 Jim

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:18:
Jim wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 12:34:
This is not necessarily a good thing. There has been much discussion of this article in the dark sky preservation community over the past few days.

It is amazing how much detailed thought and planning goes into building just about anything these days, but yet when it comes to lighting, the naive and simplistic "more is better" attitude still reigns supreme. This can be very bad. We lose much more than just our night skies. For an enlightening view of just what happens when we destroy our night, see http://www.thecitydark.com/

So go live in the country then. I never understand people that live in cities who bitch about living in cities, noise, pollution, lighting, etc. No one is forcing you to live in them. You do have choices.

I'm working on that, but the problem is even the country is getting light polluted these days. The small town I grew up in is becoming almost as brightly lit as near the city where I live now. People moved out there from the city and put up dusk to dawn floodlights in their yards that make them look like prison yards or big city parking lots. Completely unnecessary. My argument is similar to yours, if people are afraid of the dark, don't move out of the damn city.

Jim

12. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 18:48 space captain

This can be very bad. We lose much more than just our night skies. For an enlightening view of just what happens when we destroy our night, see http://www.thecitydark.com/

im taking you so seriously right now

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 16:45 Creston

meezookeewee wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 11:11:
Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 11:09:
Hey, evil fucking Korean dipshit finally kicked the bucket. Long overdue.

Creston

He's not ronery anymore.

Thass Laycess!

Creston

10. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 16:17 Fang

This is not necessarily a good thing. There has been much discussion of this article in the dark sky preservation community over the past few days.

It is amazing how much detailed thought and planning goes into building just about anything these days, but yet when it comes to lighting, the naive and simplistic "more is better" attitude still reigns supreme. This can be very bad. We lose much more than just our night skies. For an enlightening view of just what happens when we destroy our night, see http://www.thecitydark.com/

The point of LEDs isn't to increase the lumens (ie make it brighter), but to reduce the wattage and thus greenhouse gas creation.

Plus, the increased directional capability of LEDs should reduce the amount of light loss into the sky.

9. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 14:18 Cutter

So go live in the country then. I never understand people that live in cities who bitch about living in cities, noise, pollution, lighting, etc. No one is forcing you to live in them. You do have choices.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 13:15 xXBatmanXx

Open thy wallets......Steam Sale starts NOW~! wooohoooo!!!!!
http://store.steampowered.com/holidaysale/

Not much left for me to buy, but maybe some things on my list will go cheap or Skyrim will go on sale.

!!!!!!!BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! Good start!
50% off any 1 title.

Goign to need some help in Bunch of Heroes (Prez/Krovven) there is a survival cheevo.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2011, 13:21.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

7. LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 12:34 Jim

Jim

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 11:16 nin

Creston

In other news:
http://tinyurl.com/2atoupd

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 11:15 xXBatmanXx

Creston

I agree - but what will his son do?

(puts on tinfoil hat and goes home to play Homefront again)

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 11:11 meezookeewee

Creston

He's not ronery anymore.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 11:09 Creston

Creston

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 10:34 Mr. Tact

Great examples of "Any given Sunday..."  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2011, 10:20 Atomic

Blue, as a Cowboys fan rooting for a "hit-or-miss" team this year, I sure appreciate when the Giants help us out.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo