Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Trailer

Torchlight II Facebook Page now offers a new trailer discussing play testing of Torchlight II, Runic's upcoming action/RPG sequel. Word is: "Meet Justin Miller, our Network Engineer. He gives you a little rundown of how the company play test went, and how much work he has ahead of him!" Thanks The RPG Reporter.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 19, 2011, 03:28 Theo

its worth noting that no-where on the facebook page do they call this a trailer. that seems to be limited to a "reporting error".

at least as far as i can see.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 16:16 deqer

Okay, so you recorded one of your programmers telling us the obvious stuff about testing a game, then whining about network programming, etc. ? Where's the trailer?  

18. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 15:39 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 18, 2011, 10:52:
That's considered a trailer?

I was a little disappointed also, since I'm dying to play it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 12:00 eRe4s3r

In fact this isn't even a Torchlight II Trailer

This is just some dude talking to a camera. He isn't even actually talking about Torchlight II in any direct way. What nonsense indeed.

Doesn't make me care for casual WOW Rip-off D3 but doesn't make me care for Torchlight II either

16. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 10:54 Warrax

Krovven wrote on Dec 18, 2011, 01:44:
You confuse difficulty with bugs.

No you confuse bugs with intended design. Why would low aggro radius, small amount of monsters and monsters running from you after X yards would be bugs? Even monsters spawning slowly looks intended. I'm not saying those are good design decisions but they sure aren't bugs. Blizzard said many time that even the whole normal difficulty is casual and noob friendly and they said many time that Inferno difficulty will have increased density, velocity and difficulty across the board. So I would wait for the full game (or even Inferno difficulty) before judging pretty much anything.

15. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 10:52 HorrorScope

That's considered a trailer?  

14. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 07:43 Acleacius

Might consider giving your point man a microphone next time, Runic. Or you could just get someone who knows about SOUND to run your interviews.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 07:17 Fibrocyte

This was the most lackluster video ever. Why even post it?

Now my interest tilts further towards D3 because of this non-sense...

12. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 01:44 Krovven

You confuse difficulty with bugs.

11. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 18, 2011, 01:16 Warrax

Krovven wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 20:29:

So you didn't bother to quote the part where I said...

To repeat...I expect things to change in the D3 beta. BUT AS IT IS NOW, I am more looking forward to Torchlight 2.

Thing is, the game won't change as you would expect. Normal difficulty + Act 1 is intended to be easy, you cannot judge the difficulty from that part of the game.

10. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 21:55 Krovven

Bucky wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 21:07:
this section of the game will likely remain as it is now in terms of enemy quantity and interactions.

I disagree. The things I mentioned are largely due to the tuning of the random area creation. Having a 1/4 of a dungeon loaded with environment clickables and zero monsters is not intended. Tuning of this, monster and player combat dmg/skills is going to be constant up until release. And knowing Blizzard will continue long after release.

So no. The problems I mentioned have nothing to do with it being the first few hours of the game.

9. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 21:53 Dades

The Diablo team was more than two people and I'm sure they will both be great games. That was a really stupid video though, the volume was very low and it was about a minute long with nothing very interesting to people who don't work on games. I understand they aren't the big budget guys but they need to do better pre-release marketing than that to build excitement.  

8. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 21:07 Bucky

Krovven wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 20:29:
Bucky wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 20:13:
Judging D3 based on the limited area that we have is a mistake.

Granted I expect D3 to change a lot before it goes live, but as it is, I'm more looking forward to Torchlight 2 and it's going to be a 3rd of the price of D3.

To repeat...I expect things to change in the D3 beta. BUT AS IT IS NOW, I am more looking forward to Torchlight 2.

I didn't quote it because, gameplay wise, this section of the game will likely remain as it is now in terms of enemy quantity and interactions. The game will certainly open up after the skeleton king, but all we have is the newbie training area. I think you're referring to the game as a whole, while I was focused on the beta itself. It's my fault for focusing so strictly on that part of your comment, I've just seen a lot of comments in the D3 forums where people don't realize the beta content is the section of the game with training wheels.

7. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 20:29 Krovven

Bucky wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 20:13:
Judging D3 based on the limited area that we have is a mistake.

Granted I expect D3 to change a lot before it goes live, but as it is, I'm more looking forward to Torchlight 2 and it's going to be a 3rd of the price of D3.

Honestly, I have more faith in the original Diablo creators with Torchlight 2 than I do with this new team on D3.

6. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 20:13 Bucky

Krovven wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 19:27:
I recently played through the D3 beta, the Skeleton King dungeon was pretty good, everything up to that point was fairly boring. There just arent enough monsters, the ones that spawn out of the walls, statues, etc, the animations take so long for them to become active they pose no threat whatsoever, and when 75% of the monsters are like this, makes combat very boring.

The monsters also seem to have a very short aggro radius, and often they wouldnt attack me at all. If they did aggro and I ran away for 20ft they would stop chasing. So rounding up a big stack of monsters to fight was impossible. Yawn. Back on the lack of monsters, there were often times that I'd be walking through room after room and it was just destructible environment stuff and never a monster. Felt like I was playing one of those hidden objects games.

D3 looks great and sounds great, but the (lack of) skill/stat progression and combat are simply boring.

The beta content is the starting area only, it's intended to be easy while players get a handle on the game. As such, monsters are sparse, aggro range is limited, and monster skills are limited. There are numerous threads on that very point. Judging D3 based on the limited area that we have is a mistake.

Now, judging it based on other qualities is another story. The amount of server interaction that's required by the game is quickly making D3 drop on my list. If you have 200+ms lag it's visible in almost every interaction you have on the screen (combat, looting, storage, etc). It completely ruins the game feel, in my opinion.

I'm also rather underwhelmed by the art direction. Torchlight 2 just looks better, to me. As it stands, Torchlight 2 is a Day 1 purchase and D3 will wait for a sale.

5. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 20:08 Prez

Torchlight 2 will hopefully make me forget that they turned Diablo into an MMO abomination. Hell - at least Bioware had the decency to not call their Star Wars MMO "Knights of the Old Republic 3",though they have stupidly said it is akin to KotoR 3,4, and 5. Um, no.

About the video - I never understand why we need to watch some boring guy talk about his game. Just write an interview - I watch videos to see the game in action.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 19:27 Krovven

I recently played through the D3 beta, the Skeleton King dungeon was pretty good, everything up to that point was fairly boring. There just arent enough monsters, the ones that spawn out of the walls, statues, etc, the animations take so long for them to become active they pose no threat whatsoever, and when 75% of the monsters are like this, makes combat very boring.

The monsters also seem to have a very short aggro radius, and often they wouldnt attack me at all. If they did aggro and I ran away for 20ft they would stop chasing. So rounding up a big stack of monsters to fight was impossible. Yawn. Back on the lack of monsters, there were often times that I'd be walking through room after room and it was just destructible environment stuff and never a monster. Felt like I was playing one of those hidden objects games.

D3 looks great and sounds great, but the (lack of) skill/stat progression and combat are simply boring.

Getting to the point...I loaded up Torchlight this morning and it's 10x better than D3 beta in its current state. Granted I expect D3 to change a lot before it goes live, but as it is, I'm more looking forward to Torchlight 2 and it's going to be a 3rd of the price of D3.

3. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 19:00 Dagnamit

Sounds like we have a six month wait for this one. Thank god. I have to play through deus ex, skyrim, and diablo 3 all while studying for the bar exam.  

2. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 18:45 Cutter

I hope it's signifigantly better than the first game because I just could not get into at all.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

1. Re: Torchlight II Trailer Dec 17, 2011, 18:02 RaZ0r!

I'm more excited about this game then I am Diablo III, and I generally don't like cartoon style graphics.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo