Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2011, 10:42 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 18:47:
HD manufacturers are in collusion again, eh?

Not necessarily. When one cuts their warranty then the other enviably either cut theirs, or start marketing their warranty as a selling point. There does seem to be a general lack of competition in the HDD market these days.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2011, 08:04 Nacelle

Are there any other manufacturers left? It seems the rest have been bought out by Seagate and WD. Kind of convenient that the competition is gone and now they both suddenly lower warranties at the same time. Maybe we'll now have good reason to actually get one of those rip-off extended warranties that the local "Blue" store is pushing on everyone.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2011, 08:12.

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2011, 00:40 zirik

i always took advantage of seagate and western digital 5 year warranties. its a shame if they want consumers to lower their expectancy for hard drives especially since capacity increasing. it be interesting to see their new MTBF for consumer drives. are they cutting that in half too?  

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2011, 00:12 eRe4s3r

I haven't had a drive fail in the entirety of the last 10 years. In fact i still have a seagate drive (40gb) from that long ago, and its still working fine.

I think reason externals fail so much is because of the power cycles. My external drives always shuts down after 30 seconds of nothingness a totally stupid and retarded mechanism. Every powercycle of a drive is less lifetime expectancy.

For best operation, 1 day = 1 power cycle, but external drives have like 600 cycles a day (and thats taking it low)

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 17, 2011, 21:08 killer_roach

Halo wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 20:29:
My WD drives usually lasted about 3 years... great.

So long as Seagate's warranties remain longer than 3-4 months, they'll be long enough for how long their drives have typically lasted for me... so much so that, when I bought my last external drive I kept the box and receipt (as it turned out the local hypermarket had a 2TB external drive about $75 cheaper than they were going for off Amazon or Newegg in the wake of the Thailand flooding).

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 17, 2011, 20:29 Halo

My WD drives usually lasted about 3 years... great.  

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 17, 2011, 19:02 Fletch

I was gonna make almost the same exact comment.

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 17, 2011, 18:53 Mashiki Amiketo

Yeah that was my though. I seem to remember we went through this about 10-11 years ago too. Last time it happened Fujitsu left the market because of it and I got an $1100 check from them because of it under the class action terms.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 17, 2011, 18:47 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo