Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released

Steam's Trine 2 Page now offers a playable demo for Trine 2, Frozenbyte's side-scrolling sequel. This is a SteamPlay demo, playable under both Windows PC and Mac OS X, celebrating the release of the OS X edition of the game, which is available through Steam or the Mac App Store. There is also a standalone version of the OS X demo on the Trine 2 Website , and Frozenbyte says we can expect a standalone Windows demo accompanying the release of a DRM-free Windows version of the game next year.

View
9. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 18, 2011, 05:50 Jerykk

We had that before Steam. It was called a start menu.

We also had lots of discs. The more games you had, the longer it took to find the one you wanted to install. I have several albums full of discs and I can tell you right now, finding a game in my Steam collection is a lot faster. With discs, first I have to dig through my collection to find and install it (very tedious process when multiple discs are involved), then I have to find, download and install the patches (often multiple patches when the latest one isn't cumulative), then I have to find and download a working crack so I can play the game without needing to keep the disc in the drive. Conversely, with Steam I just click "Install" and then "Play." Oh yeah, I don't have to manually type in serial numbers either. Steam lets me just copy and paste.

And we did that without the need to downloading anything.

Instead, we needed to slowly transfer data from physical discs, often several, with variable read speeds based on the disc's condition and manufacturing quality; the years before DVDs became mainstream were painful indeed. I think Psychonauts came on 4-5 discs. I still have those discs, along with a downloadable version. Guess which one is easier to install?

You say that as if it's a good thing...

In general, it is. Most patches are beneficial and improve games. Only occasionally do patches actually break stuff. Also, you can always turn off Steam's auto-update if you don't want to update.

I don't. I'm sure most don't. So... yeah.

I do. So... yeah.

It always amazes me how Steam fans can't imagine the possiblity that these perceived "benefits", don't necessarily apply to the entire population of the earth. For me it's nothing but inconvenience.

You do realize the irony of what you just said, right? The growing popularity of Steam suggests that the benefits do indeed apply to majority of the population. You're in the minority here. There are benefits and downsides to Steam and digital distribution in general. For most people, the benefits outweigh the downsides. That's obviously not the case for you but if you honestly can't comprehend why so many people like Steam, you're thinking a bit too narrowly.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2011, 05:56.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 17, 00:09 Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Shadowcat
  2. Dec 17, 07:57  Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released coldcut
  3. Dec 17, 08:20   Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Shadowcat
  6. Dec 17, 13:35    Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Jerykk
  8. Dec 17, 18:03     Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released everyone
>> 9. Dec 18, 05:50      Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Jerykk
  4. Dec 17, 08:32 3D fans MUST HAVE! Rhialto
  5. Dec 17, 13:25  Re: 3D fans MUST HAVE! Elf Shot The Food
  7. Dec 17, 14:01 Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released siapnar

footer