Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released

Steam's Trine 2 Page now offers a playable demo for Trine 2, Frozenbyte's side-scrolling sequel. This is a SteamPlay demo, playable under both Windows PC and Mac OS X, celebrating the release of the OS X edition of the game, which is available through Steam or the Mac App Store. There is also a standalone version of the OS X demo on the Trine 2 Website , and Frozenbyte says we can expect a standalone Windows demo accompanying the release of a DRM-free Windows version of the game next year.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 18, 2011, 05:50 Jerykk

We had that before Steam. It was called a start menu.

We also had lots of discs. The more games you had, the longer it took to find the one you wanted to install. I have several albums full of discs and I can tell you right now, finding a game in my Steam collection is a lot faster. With discs, first I have to dig through my collection to find and install it (very tedious process when multiple discs are involved), then I have to find, download and install the patches (often multiple patches when the latest one isn't cumulative), then I have to find and download a working crack so I can play the game without needing to keep the disc in the drive. Conversely, with Steam I just click "Install" and then "Play." Oh yeah, I don't have to manually type in serial numbers either. Steam lets me just copy and paste.

And we did that without the need to downloading anything.

Instead, we needed to slowly transfer data from physical discs, often several, with variable read speeds based on the disc's condition and manufacturing quality; the years before DVDs became mainstream were painful indeed. I think Psychonauts came on 4-5 discs. I still have those discs, along with a downloadable version. Guess which one is easier to install?

You say that as if it's a good thing...

In general, it is. Most patches are beneficial and improve games. Only occasionally do patches actually break stuff. Also, you can always turn off Steam's auto-update if you don't want to update.

I don't. I'm sure most don't. So... yeah.

I do. So... yeah.

It always amazes me how Steam fans can't imagine the possiblity that these perceived "benefits", don't necessarily apply to the entire population of the earth. For me it's nothing but inconvenience.

You do realize the irony of what you just said, right? The growing popularity of Steam suggests that the benefits do indeed apply to majority of the population. You're in the minority here. There are benefits and downsides to Steam and digital distribution in general. For most people, the benefits outweigh the downsides. That's obviously not the case for you but if you honestly can't comprehend why so many people like Steam, you're thinking a bit too narrowly.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2011, 05:56.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 17, 2011, 18:03 everyone

Jerykk wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 13:35:
Intrusive? Possibly. Inconvenient? How so? You get all your games in one place
We had that before Steam. It was called a start menu.
downloading and installing can be completed with a couple of clicks
And we did that without the need to downloading anything.
your installed games are automatically updated.
You say that as if it's a good thing...
You can also play your games in offline mode.
When it chooses to work, and the game allows it.
In addition, if you use multiple OSes, you don't have to reinstall your games as long as you use the same Steam installation directory.
I don't. I'm sure most don't. So... yeah.
For me, the only inconvenient part of Steam is the inability to choose where I install my games and the one-time online activations.
For me it's that I have to use it at all.

It always amazes me how Steam fans can't imagine the possiblity that these perceived "benefits", don't necessarily apply to the entire population of the earth. For me it's nothing but inconvenience.

7. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 17, 2011, 14:01 siapnar

Played the demo.

This is an absolute GEM of a game. Fantastic sequel to the great first game. They've improved and expanded upon everything, from gameplay mechanics to visuals to physics puzzles.

Instant buy.

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

6. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 17, 2011, 13:35 Jerykk

And Steam is both inconvenient and intrusive (subjective, clearly, but that's how I feel about it).

Intrusive? Possibly. Inconvenient? How so? You get all your games in one place, downloading and installing can be completed with a couple of clicks and your installed games are automatically updated. You can also play your games in offline mode. In addition, if you use multiple OSes, you don't have to reinstall your games as long as you use the same Steam installation directory.

For me, the only inconvenient part of Steam is the inability to choose where I install my games and the one-time online activations.

5. Re: 3D fans MUST HAVE! Dec 17, 2011, 13:25 Elf Shot The Food

People who have problems with Steam don't know how to drive their computer machines.  

4. 3D fans MUST HAVE! Dec 17, 2011, 08:32 Rhialto

WOW! Stunning! If you love 3D, this is a demo you should really take a look at! It is simply amazing and looks gorgeous! Do yourself a favor and take a look!

Still owning a CRT, I like the fact I was able to choose 120Hz from the game settings. Also, all the 3D control are build right into the game so available on the settings screen.

3. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 17, 2011, 08:20 Shadowcat

There's no point in using quotation marks: Steam is DRM, plain and simple. And Steam is both inconvenient and intrusive (subjective, clearly, but that's how I feel about it). I'm not saying it's the worst out there (it's definitely not), but it's not something I enjoy having games dependent on, either. I buy the occasional Steam game if it's heavily discounted, but even the sales are struggling to capture my interest these days. (In comparison, I've purchased eleven games in GOG's current sale.)  

2. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 17, 2011, 07:57 coldcut

Shadowcat wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 00:09:
If only everyone who released Steam-only games would follow through like this, I wouldn't have any issues with the platform at all.
What's the problem with the Steam default "DRM"? It's convenient and non-intrusive, and you can access your games all the time in your account.
I am having problems, however, when 3rd party DRM is added to Steam games, which is an instant no-buy. Some time ago, the Riddick series was on sale on Steam, I was so tempted to buy it, but the 3rd party TAGES protection prevented me from doing so.

1. Re: Trine 2 Demos & OS X Version Released Dec 17, 2011, 00:09 Shadowcat

Oh hell yes. Thank you Frozenbyte! I absolutely loved Trine, but I ignored Trine 2 because of Steam. I very much look forward to buying it from you in DRM-free form.

If only everyone who released Steam-only games would follow through like this, I wouldn't have any issues with the platform at all.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo