Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Introduces BattleTags

Battle.net outlines a new BattleTags system they are implementing, offering a new way for players to identify themselves and communicate on Battle.net. They say this is "similar to the Real ID system," though they also note that they are not unique, so multiple players can all use the same BattleTag. They offer the ability to create a tag right now, a FAQ on how this all works, and this overview:

A BattleTag is a unified, player-chosen nickname that will identify you across all of Battle.net -- in Blizzard Entertainment games, on our official websites, and in our community forums. Similar to the Real ID system, BattleTags will ultimately give players on Battle.net a new way to manage public profiles, find and chat with friends they've met while playing, form groups, and stay connected across multiple Blizzard games.

While most of these features are coming soon, players who wish to pick a BattleTag now can do so via Battle.net Account Management. Note that BattleTags are not unique, meaning multiple players can choose the same BattleTag. For now, we’ll be testing some basic in-game functionality (including in-game chat and friends list support) in the next patch for the Diablo III beta test. Players are also now able to use a BattleTag when posting on the Diablo III community websites.

In the future, BattleTags will be integrated into other Blizzard games and services such as World of Warcraft® and StarCraft® II (and their related forums and websites), and we look forward to sharing more about all of the ways they’ll help you connect and play in the months ahead. Stay tuned to Blizzard's official community sites for further details.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 19:25 Muscular Beaver

*Double post*  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 19:17 Muscular Beaver

Frijoles wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 15:27:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 11:03:
It has not moved back to WotLK. Its easier than ever before. You get high level equipment even if you fart and most bugs and balance issues from 4.0 still exist, while new ones have been added again.

I'm confused. Are you saying Wrath was hard and high level equipment didn't come from farts? Perhaps we were playing different games.

Exactly thats what I am saying (minus that it was ever really that hard, unless youre talking about getting people to work together properly). Instances in WotLK were not that easy. Maybe when you played it, but not for a long time after release. Also you should remember how hard the new 5-mans were at the end. Especially the last one with those waves of ghosts.
Equipment wasnt that easy to get without raiding.

The instances in Cata were only hard at the start because especially tanks and healers had to adapt to a whole new playing style and of course because equipment sucked.

Now look at what happened with 4.3. Equipment is extremely easy to get, hell you even get conquest points for random BGs and lots of valor points, even if you dont raid. And when you raid, youre fucked because of the cap. Getting good PvE equipment doesnt even make sense anymore because youre done with content in a few weeks anyway. And those new instances they added are a joke. They are so easy, that on day one I ran them all about 20 times and only VERY few were total fails (like some people running them with level 308 gear and stuff). In my very first 3 instances I didnt wipe ONE SINGLE TIME. Not to mention all those buffs you get in instances now to make them even more easy. I dont even know anymore how my damage and healing is without all of those.
Oh yeah, and people run PvE with PvP equipment again - and pull very respectable DPS/HPS......
You call that similar to WotLK???
Its a fucking facebook game now....

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2011, 19:26.

- Mojo Jojo

31. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 16:32 Ray Marden

Outside of blatant class or mechanic imbalances, the game has never been truly hard to play.

Now...getting 9 or 24 other people in a group to work cohesively, that is a daunting challenge.
Note that they gave up on 39 other people.
Not really caring about our respective e-peens,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 16:28 Ray Marden

This is typical for Blizzard. Rather than admitting fault with what it has done or giving players what has been requested, Blizzard goes off on a tangent and creates a whole new problem.

My only real issue with Real ID is that it uses my legal name. It is my legal name, I admit, but is not the name I go by day to day, note the name people know me as, not the name I play games under, etc. I just wanted a way to have a unique name that identified me across all my accounts which I could create, presuming it met any guidelines implemented by Blizzard. "Ray Marden" or my main character's name would have sufficed.

Now, Real ID still shows my legal name, you can use Real ID to reverse engineer the legal names of other Real ID friends' own separate Real ID friends, Blizzard is intentionally promoting the creation of numerous fake names, there will be two competing identification systems from the same company, and now even the single name I am forced into using on Real ID can nearly be spoofed by anybody else.

GENIUS!
Morons.
Off to play ToR,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

29. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 15:27 Frijoles

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 11:03:
It has not moved back to WotLK. Its easier than ever before. You get high level equipment even if you fart and most bugs and balance issues from 4.0 still exist, while new ones have been added again.

I'm confused. Are you saying Wrath was hard and high level equipment didn't come from farts? Perhaps we were playing different games.

28. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 11:03 Muscular Beaver

Frijoles wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 15:12:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 14:52:
If they start moving back to where they were at either TBC or Wrath, they'd draw them back.

4.3 has moved back towards Wrath. The 5-man instances remind me a lot of ICC. They're fun to run. They will, of course, fuck this all up with 5.0 and their talent changes.

Also, most of my guild uses RealID. I think it sucks, but meh. They message each other when they want to raid and everyone logs in. I guess that's the point.

Yeah, I resubbed for 4.3. And now I already cancelled again.

- Mojo Jojo

27. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 10:59 Muscular Beaver

bozu wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 19:42:
From the FAQ:
Each BattleTag is automatically assigned a 4-digit BattleTag code, which combines with your chosen name to create a unique identifier (e.g. AwesomeGnome#3592).
The "10,000 Illidans" campaign begins NOW. BattleTags are not prepared.

OVER NINETHOUSAND??? (hint to which ones will also be used as many times)

- Mojo Jojo

26. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 17, 2011, 00:03 Prez

Well, a quick search on Steam shows I'm far from the only "Prez" in their community, so I guess Blizzard is just taking a page out of Valve's book.

Next up for Blizzard: AssTags, where a full color photo of your ass is used to identify who's who. Mine will be the hairy, pasty-white, pock-marked one.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2011, 03:04.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 20:16 RaZ0r!

Are BattleTags the little loop on the back of some mens dress shirts?  

24. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 19:42 bozu

From the FAQ:
Each BattleTag is automatically assigned a 4-digit BattleTag code, which combines with your chosen name to create a unique identifier (e.g. AwesomeGnome#3592).
The "10,000 Illidans" campaign begins NOW. BattleTags are not prepared.

23. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 19:39 D_K_night

This is a compromise between RealID and in-game tag. I don't see a problem with it. Many times your online buddies are not the same as your real life friends, and you want to keep that separation. We're not being snobbish. We're uh...segmenting our friends(maybe not the right term). Sometimes you aren't comfortable with online ppl calling you by your real name.

The true problem is when the consumer is faced with too many choices, then they can't tell what's what, and become confused.

I know it sounds absurd, but think about Joe Gamer and not one of us 1337 kings of gaming.

Blizzard will clear up the confusion with an FAQ.

22. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 17:23 MattyC

deqer wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 13:59:
nin wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 11:09:
Sounds like that whole realID thing was a flop.

It was a pure flop. Who the hell has RL friends that play this shit, and even if they played it, who the hell would want their friends to know about it because it's an addiction.

And the game is meant to be a pug game where you meet strangers and make new online friends, but that's a joke too.

A lot of jokes been coming from Blizzard, yet we still have millions of subscribers eating all that shit(that Blizzard shoves down their throats) without thinking twice about it because they're brainwashed fanbois.

It isn't some gaming revelation, but I use it and I like it just fine. I just don't add every random person I play online with to it. It is for *gasp* real life friends who I play SC2 and (previously) WoW with.

I guess if you some oddity that has 0 real life friends you play games with then it serves no purpose, but for everyone else it has a niche use.

21. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 16:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Frijoles wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 15:12:
4.3 has moved back towards Wrath. The 5-man instances remind me a lot of ICC. They're fun to run. They will, of course, fuck this all up with 5.0 and their talent changes.
Hrm. Well they sent me a 7 day "omg come back" trial, I might give it a go back when I'm on my christmas break.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 15:19 rist3903

http://xkcd.com/927/

19. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 15:12 Frijoles

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 14:52:
If they start moving back to where they were at either TBC or Wrath, they'd draw them back.

Also, most of my guild uses RealID. I think it sucks, but meh. They message each other when they want to raid and everyone logs in. I guess that's the point.

18. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 14:52 Mashiki Amiketo

deqer wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 13:59:
It was a pure flop. Who the hell has RL friends that play this shit, and even if they played it, who the hell would want their friends to know about it because it's an addiction.
Meh, everything is an addiction if you put it that way, including life. Having played it for 6 or 7 years, I played for the enjoyment to to escape the world so I could relax and that was that. Until that enjoyment went away, the same reason why people watch movies and turn into couch potato's, or go to the gym, or melt things in their garage and tinker.

Oddly though, back before they tried forcing their version of "community" on the community it wasn't bad, not bad at all. I'd actually met most of the people in all of the guilds I'd belonged to. So a few hundred different people across north america, I used to and still do travel extensively. Those people were as random and varied as the people I worked with.

As for jokes? Yeah well, that's pretty much true, ignoring your customers and giving them "your vision" of shit, is pretty much that. Which is probably why they're starting to hemorrhage subs. If they start moving back to where they were at either TBC or Wrath, they'd draw them back.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 14:41 Keilun

Verno wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 12:04:
Ok I just played with it and it generates a 4 digit code to differentiate you from other players. Just what the doctor ordered, another dumb PIN number to remember. This is the company that does usability so well?

"This seems really stupid" posted Verno #9917

I think the idea is that in game the 4-digit pin would be masked. You would just right click on the name in chat and it would already have all the info. So not completely unusable in game, but outside of the game, definitely a pain.

Still, it's a really weird way of going about things... and feels like a rather pointless feature.

16. Re: FFUUUUU BLIZ Dec 16, 2011, 14:15 Shok

I have 1 RealID friend from when I played WoW. Some kid named Charlie. RealID was new and he wanted me to add him as a friend. So we both enabled RealID and I have been annoyed ever since that some guy I barely know in WoW knows my full name. Luckily, he is a decent dude and we still talk when I decide to play WoW every 3-4 months or so. It's no wonder that no one uses RealID to me. Yeah there are some RL friends who may use it but other than that I prefer online anonymity over RealID.  

15. Re: FFUUUUU BLIZ Dec 16, 2011, 14:06 Paranoid Jack

Lokust wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 11:25:
So my handle which I've used for like 20 years now is a violation of their battletag naming policy?

Too funny mine too! I'm thinking they put the cart before the horse and the damn thing just ain't ready for prime time.

14. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 13:59 deqer

nin wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 11:09:
Sounds like that whole realID thing was a flop.

And the game is meant to be a pug game where you meet strangers and make new online friends, but that's a joke too.

A lot of jokes been coming from Blizzard, yet we still have millions of subscribers eating all that shit(that Blizzard shoves down their throats) without thinking twice about it because they're brainwashed fanbois.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo