Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2011, 02:21 TurdFergasun

i was just imagining you saying that  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 22:35 space captain

i think people are figments of my imagination  
Go forth, and kill!

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 22:19 Mr. Tact

I'll agree with you on that nin. Considered just ignoring it, but was in a mood to comment.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 21:34 TurdFergasun

i think alot of people have trouble discussing the situation rationally at all, because of their hard-coded mental circuits learned from early childhood. whether the questions spill out into a forum or otherwise, to some people the questions themselves are an assault on who they perceive they are.  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 21:04 nin

I have no issue with anyone who chooses to believe in a supreme being. I do have issues with organized religions which have caused, and continue to cause problems throughout the world.

I have an issue with it spilling onto a board, and someone using it as an excuse to tout their own perceived self importance in life.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 20:38 TurdFergasun

[url=]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious[/url]  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 20:14 space captain

wrong - it means your entire life results in nothing but worm food  
Go forth, and kill!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 18:47 TurdFergasun

moral of the story: crutches are only good when you're leg's injured, if you use them too long your armpits will get sore.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 18:22 space captain

60. Yeshua saw a Samaritan carrying a lamb and going to Judea.
He said to his disciples, "That man is round about the lamb."
They said to him, "So that he may kill it and eat it."
He said to them, "He will not eat it while it is alive, but only after he has killed it and it has become a carcass."
They said, "He cannot do otherwise."
He said to them, "So also with you, seek for yourselves a place for rest, lest you become a carcass and be eaten."

113. His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come to pass?"
Yeshua replied "It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be a matter of saying, 'It is here!' or 'It is there!' Rather, the Father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."

- gospel of thomas, 340 AD

Go forth, and kill!

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 17:57 TurdFergasun

rist3903 wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 06:45:
I have been somewhat interested in trying out religious LARPing

pretty much most ppl are religious LARPing, thats why they're over sensitive about questions that make them think. YOU'RE RUINING THE PLAY!

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 17:40 space captain

the average persons understanding of the knowledge behind religion is akin to their understanding of subatomic physics.. they know a few buzzwords, and a handful of ideas that are beyond cliche  
Go forth, and kill!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 17:10 xXBatmanXx

dang....still have 63 games in my Steam wish list.......wishing I would win the top 10 on my wish list......  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 17:07 Ray Marden

I take the confused, lazy route of an agnostic.

But...most of the religious options seems really convoluted whereas the scientific process appears to be trying to postulate, test, and prove what any of this is about.

If the idea of a heaven/higher power disappears, people are on their own and need to make it work. Currently, they treat one another in fairly crappy ways and, I believe, really need to appreciate this time and world significantly more than they do. Without having religion as a personal crutch, I end up being accountable for my actions and this is cause for significant amount of introspection and/or personal awareness.

If there is a higher being, somethinig I can still admit is technically a possibility, which one is it? Either 99.9999% of the religions have it wrong, showing the insanity/naiveness of the followers, or these gods are fairly commong and do not really seem to do much. Is either groups willing to accept its stupidity or common status?

On a direct route, how does this god thing work out anyway? Why does it so oftenly have a penis? Why are the historical gods jokes, but the current era gods absolutely true? Why all the contradictions? The hatred? The common wish for a destruction of life as we know it (rapture?) Why doesn't it do more to help? If the fault is our own making, why is it not held accountable as the creater? What of all the painful, hurtful, sad, inconsistent things in a designed world? Why the lack of evidence and proof? Why the finite views centered around forced belief rather than study and gained knowledge? Why the frequent hypocrisy of the presented beliefs? Why is such a good thing the cause of so many deaths?

Too frequently, I see one just claiming it "knows" something just because and seems to completely disregard facts and proof to the contrary of any aspect. In contrast, the other side says "F*ck if I know, but we ran some tess and this is what happened - there appears to be law that says XYZ will happen, but we'll test this further if this is proven incorrect or somebody has a further expaned idea that we can prove."

I do think life is really special and I want all of it that I can have. Should it end, I do hope that there is this fantastical place I can go to where my past loved ones are, but I have absolutely no proof of this and there appears to be more evidence to the contrary. But at the end of the day, I really do not know much about anything - nor does anybody else for that matter - and I would like to look into all these things and determine the facts in place of blindly believing things, even more so in the face of contradictory evidence.
This is not far removed from the "Are we the only life in space?" question.
Typically saying I am agnostic in general, but aethiestic towards Earth religions,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 15:51 Mr. Tact

I have no issue with anyone who chooses to believe in a supreme being. I do have issues with organized religions which have caused, and continue to cause problems throughout the world.

Personally, if there an afterlife and I am brought before "God", I hope I have the strength to ask, "What the fuck?"

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 12:07 nin

AnointedSword wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 00:24:
Blah blah blah

Pretty much, exactly. Another known troll who's all about getting attention for himself.

The filter is your friend!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 11:59 Dmitri_M

People can believe whatever they want I could careless hell I think they're better off for it. They're no better than the non-believers who worship at the temple of snark and arrogance.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 06:45 rist3903

Blah blah blah
Piffle.

I have been somewhat interested in trying out religious LARPing, but I would have to go with the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

They are fond of beer
Every Friday is a Religious Holiday
They do not take themselves too seriously
They embrace contradictions (though in that they are hardly unique)

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 04:57 jdreyer

Wow, where to start with this...
It is sad really, so many believe that they know, yet know so little. They have a reason for everything seen. They act like they know what they are talking about, but when pressed for specifics they are just as clueless as the next believer in nothingness.
Hmm, such condescension. Because I suppose Jesus was all about condescension. In science, "I don't know" is the starting point for all research and observation. It is the question that drives scientists to learn more. And when a scientist DOES learn something, it is only true until some one disproves it. This constant reassessment allows us to refine and expand the knowledge of the world around us.

I say, where did the information come from? One cell or not, where did it come from? I also ask this, if everything has a reasonable explanation please explain to me the unexplainable?!
There is no need to rely on invented stories to explain stuff. "Why is there life? Where did it come from?" We can use the answer of "I don't know" until we figure it out. It might take 10,000 years, but there's no point in making up something in the meantime.

No one believed in cells until man made a machine that was able to see them. Why is it so hard to believe in the unseen?
Um, there wasn't a 5000 year old cult claiming that cells existed, and all we needed to do was believe in them until they were proven so. People believed all sorts of crap about what people consisted of and how the body worked, many of which led to terrible "treatments" for disease that did more harm than good. You are confusing religion and science here. There was no concept of cells until Robert Hooke observed them under a microscope. Contrast that with religion, which claims to "know" the origin of life came from God, be it Yahweh, Vishnu, Odin, or Zeus, without any documented observation or proof of said claim.

Well anyways, He loves all of you and I hope some day you will realize that before it is too late.
This is a logical fallacy. If He (sexist much?) loves us all already, then it will never be too late. If "too late" is a possibility, then He doesn't love us all already.

Because in the end, everyone will believe. Good and evil is real, so is heaven and hell. Mock me if you will, but I care enough for you to tell you the truth. Research and look for truth, you will not find it in any text book.
You really aren't making any sense here. If belief is required, how can it be the truth? The truth requires evidence, but all you are offering is faith. How can we research if belief is the prerequisite? If it is TRUE, just provide us the link to the proof. Then you don't have to jump through these rhetorical hoops.

There's a Christian bookstore in my town called "The Truth". As soon as I read the name I thought, "Wow, these people are really insecure about their beliefs, or they wouldn't feel the need to name the bookstore that." Notice that no scientific journals are named "The Truth about Biology" or "Physics Truth" because they accept that any theory that they come up with might be overturned by a new study down the road. It's just accepted as part of the scientific process of expanding the knowledge of our universe, no matter the discipline.

To bring it back to Hitchens: I am not a militant Atheist. But so far, there is no proof that an omnipotent being is running the show. Is there a lot of shit that we don't know? ABSOLUTELY. But I don't feel any need to have an explanation for these mysteries. They are just mysteries until someone figures them out. And that's just the way things are.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 03:31 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 17:12:
Let's face it, everyone said the man was incredible asshole, but they always said it with awe, 'What an asshole!' He was interesting to be sure.

He was also blindingly intelligent, even when I vehemently disagreed with his positions. While the word unique has been somewhat diluted these days by the adverb "very", Hitch was truly a unique person. There will never be another.

Also, in addition to cigs and whiskey, Hitch also worshiped caffeine. Here he is, at his temple.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2011, 01:42 space captain

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing".

"But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.

Go forth, and kill!

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo