Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched

Hi-Rez Studios outlines the changes in a new version 0.1.619.0 that's now live in the closed beta test for Tribes: Ascend, their upcoming multiplayer shooter reboot. Word is: "Version 0.1.619.0 converts all fully automatic hitscan weapons to use projectiles, significantly improves projectile inheritance, enhances spectator mode, and introduces a bunch of other new features and fixes."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 17, 2011, 08:05 Snabel

I've always known about the Tribes games but I never really got to try one.

I got into this beta though and I must say I'm enjoying my time quite a lot. There have been minor issues, but this is early on in a beta that's supposed to last for quite a while. Hi-Rez seems to listen to feedback and aren't afraid to change things up.

At first I was a bit frustrated about the hit scan weapons being changed into projectiles. Having playing more quake-based games where trace your opponent while keeping your aim steadily on them at all times I had pretty decent success using the hit scan weapons wheras I was fairly terrible with the traditional Tribes-weapons such as the spin fusor.

However, after having played it for a while, I of course realize that this means I get more time to actually practise the damn leading and determining of peoples positions in three dimensions when I'm not being targeted down with hit scan weapons from half way across the map. So I now suck slightly more, but I'm still having quite a lot of fun.

Now if they could only remove that damn sniper and I'd have a pretty perfect game

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 17, 2011, 02:15 Overon

Everyone should be free to criticize whatever they like. But nobody is entitled to their own facts.  

14. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 23:10 space captain

id rather bitch about what i please and tell all the assholes who have a problem with it to go fuck themselves

id tell em to come on over and try to stop me - because it would be fun as shit to grind their fucking bones into dust

doesnt everyone feel that way?

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 23:03 Crustacean Soup

Hump wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 20:47:
gtrogers wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 14:29:
I am currently in the beta and really, really enjoying the game. Spinfusor feels great and yes there are issues, but HiRez is really listening to the community and taking feedback seriously.

While others will debate about classes/loadouts and the microtransactions, I'll just state that this game FEELS like Tribes and looks and plays great. It's still in beta, so sign up, be patient, and enjoy. It's free and most importantly, fun.

This x10.

I get a kick out of the so called "Vets" who are simply parroting the jerk-offs at TribalWar.com forums. Surprisingly THAT cauldron of fail has quite a few old timers who are enjoying it as well.

It feels like Tribes. As for the other things that are decidedly NON-Tribes...well.....half a loaf is better than none. Get over it

The dissatisfied are always the most vocal. Pretty obvious from any gaming site, including this one

Even ignoring the jerk-offs, criticism will happen. People criticize not only for the sake of being obnoxious, but because they want things to improve. And criticism generates better discussion than a bunch of people just fawning over a game anyways. Get over it

On the topic of the game: yes. It does feel like a Tribes game. It's got something that T:V didn't get. I think it's mostly down to the skiing (much better than T:V's try at smooth skiing), and the scale. Bases are friggin big, terrain is suitably hilly, just the distance between bases may be too short on the current maps. The weapons also work pretty well, though I still think there's too many bullet guns, particle-based or not.

12. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 20:47 Hump

gtrogers wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 14:29:
I am currently in the beta and really, really enjoying the game. Spinfusor feels great and yes there are issues, but HiRez is really listening to the community and taking feedback seriously.

While others will debate about classes/loadouts and the microtransactions, I'll just state that this game FEELS like Tribes and looks and plays great. It's still in beta, so sign up, be patient, and enjoy. It's free and most importantly, fun.

This x10.

I get a kick out of the so called "Vets" who are simply parroting the jerk-offs at TribalWar.com forums. Surprisingly THAT cauldron of fail has quite a few old timers who are enjoying it as well.

It feels like Tribes. As for the other things that are decidedly NON-Tribes...well.....half a loaf is better than none. Get over it

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

11. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 18:21 space captain

Surf wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 10:22:
Mark my words.

why?

nobody gives a shit about your predictions

go tell it to pachter

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 14:29 gtrogers

9. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 10:22 Surf

Game sounds cool, F2P will kill it.

Mark my words.

8. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 10:11 space captain

Kobalt wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 06:16:
And turrets in this are rape. Don't be surprised to be flying around near the enemey base and get oneshotted from a turret nowhere near you. Reminds me of all those crazy tribes 1 mods.

the base turrets are supposed to be massive, they are huge and stationary and you can take em out with about 4 discs if they arent upgraded, or 1 tactical strike... you can zoom in a shoot them from like a mile away, i recommend it... the deployable turrets are another story

Kobalt wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 06:16:
Another annoying thing, You can't just spawn vehicles for free, or even wait for them to auto spawn. Rather the points you get from things from kills and getting the flag back is used to purchase vehicles. Feels kind of dumb that vehicles feel more like a mw killstreak rather then a tactical part of the game.

thats not exactly true, you can get points from all kinds of shit.. repairs, flag grabs/returns, assists, destroying base assets, etc.

but yeh the maps are kinda meh.. and it sucks there wont be any community made ones.. thats actually really shitty

also the tactical strikes and orbital strikes.. people are now using them on moving targets, or to one-shot kill a capper going 200+ and half a mile away ... which im still undecided on whether its cool idea or cheap as fuck

the fact they are getting rid of hitscan is actually surprising, makes me think they might give on some other shit, like loadouts or health regen, etc because the health thing still seems way too exploitable

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 09:41 Phaint

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 09:34:
Meh, shoulda just made this a regulr PC game. The F@P side of this sounds too frustrating to play for long if your options are massive grind or pay.

Then just shell out the money to unlock everything and boom. The game isn't like one of these cheapy f2p games, its pretty polished and it's still in beta. I too was playing BF3 everyday til I got in the Tribes beta and now I don't have the urge to play BF3 at all really.

/sigh servers just went down for another patch so i'm bored as all hell...

6. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 09:34 Cutter

Meh, shoulda just made this a regulr PC game. The F@P side of this sounds too frustrating to play for long if your options are massive grind or pay.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 07:54 InBlack

Thanks Kobalt.  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 06:16 Kobalt

Feels very tribes, much more so then vengeance. First time I saw shazbot spam and got some disc kills the nostalgia trip was overwhelming.

There's some problems though, mostly due to it's f2p mico transaction nature. At the start it's basically the choice between medium armor with a rifle, or spinfusor. This means early on it doesn't feel like a class based game at all. Like vengeance inventory stations only serve to let you quick change between classes, cant even customize weapons in this one. Destroying the generator does have a impact though because it disables turret. And turrets in this are rape. Don't be surprised to be flying around near the enemey base and get oneshotted from a turret nowhere near you. Reminds me of all those crazy tribes 1 mods.

Maybe when you get high lvl and only play with people that paid for the massively overpriced classes(took me about 30ish games to unlock the cheapest class..next class costs twice as much) it will feel like a good balance of weapons and armor.

Another annoying thing, You can't just spawn vehicles for free, or even wait for them to auto spawn. Rather the points you get from things from kills and getting the flag back is used to purchase vehicles. Feels kind of dumb that vehicles feel more like a mw killstreak rather then a tactical part of the game.

Also not liking the maps too much. They are a pretty small compared to tribes 1 and 2. Once you get decent with skiing you can go from your base to their flag(which is always out in the open, another nitpick) and back in about a minute and a half.

All these complaints aside I am having a lot of fun. I bought bf3 not long before I got in the beta, and I kept finding myself wanting to play tribes when I was playing bf with friends. It's still early in beta I think and they keep making good changes so I have a lot of hope for the game.

3. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 04:05 InBlack

AnointedSword wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 03:38:
I am sorry, but this game is dead before it begins. I tested it for about one minute. I had to log back into SWTOR.

Nice try churchtroll, but still FAIL. Anyone actually in this beta here on Blues that can share some impressions?

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 03:38 AnointedSword

I am sorry, but this game is dead before it begins. I tested it for about one minute. I had to log back into SWTOR.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

1. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 01:17 Jerykk

Nice to see they're getting rid of hitscan in favor of actual projectiles. That should help reduce the effectiveness of the rapid-fire weapons and place greater importance on leading your aim and predicting your target's next location.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo