Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up

IndustryGamers has quotes from Electronic Arts casting doubt on recent comments from Richard 'Lord British' Garriott about his discussions with EA over regaining access to the Ultima property, and the possibility his next game could ultimately become Ultima Online 2. Perhaps this just falls under the heading of the "resistance" some EA execs have to working with him: "I'm not sure what Richard Garriott is referring to. But no one at EA is discussing partnership or licensing opportunities related to the Ultima Online franchise," Jeff Brown, EA's head of corporate communications, told them.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 18, 2011, 11:34 Ant

Bodolza wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 14:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 13:14:
Man, I didn't know we had senior citizens on this site. Cool!

Average age of a gamer is 37. I think the Blue's community actually skews a bit older. Plus some of us have been playing video games since we were 5 years old.

A few more years and the comment section topics are going to start including colostomy bags and liver spots.
Ha, I am not even 37 yet and I don't game much like I used to! I noticed a lot of my friends don't game much either like they used to.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 16, 2011, 10:18 Surf

"but Oubliette was one of, if not the first. 1977"
YES that was it! Never played it but read about it.

Garriot was Origin systems and brought in many other creators for other games such as Moebius, Autoduel and 2400AD. He should have kept UO out of the Origin deal, but all EA wanted was Ultima, hence they never continued with the older games at all.

Lets not forget, after all the Wizardry, Oblietter, DM comments, Ultima Underworld brought in 3D/2D!

20. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 16, 2011, 08:49 RollinThundr

Surf wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 12:32:
"its 100% remake of Dungeon Master if you ask me"

Uhh, Wizardry was made in 1980! DM was made in the mid 80's. There is only one other game that was before Wizardry that started this view perspective, but I forgot the name (Had a small blue castle with a light gray background, Apple ][) Even Alternate Reality was before Dungeon Master, and AR is far ahead of both games in terms of content.

Lord British BLEW IT giving the rights away to Ultima, what a friggin tool. When will people learn to never give the rights away to the very thing they created? Most of us never make anything that goes commercial, and those that do squander it a few years later. So short sighted.

He didn't "give" away anything. Origin was a whole owned subsiderary of EA. They owned the IP. Really aside from Ultima and Wingcommander which I doubt he had much direct work on to being with, what has Garriot done that worth the legend moniker?

19. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 22:06 Silicon Avatar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 21:14:
Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 19:16:
That seems to be the consensus from those in the know and history seems to bear it out. He's just another living of example of how it's better to tbe lucky than good.

What, 35 million dollars down the drain, three complete reboots and 6 years of development time with continual promises about how awesome Tabula Rasa would be wasn't a clear enough example on its own?

I think people were hoping he'd pull out of the spiral, plus (for a lot of old gamers) there's an intense nostalgia factor involved with his old successes.

18. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 21:14 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 19:16:
That seems to be the consensus from those in the know and history seems to bear it out. He's just another living of example of how it's better to tbe lucky than good.

What, 35 million dollars down the drain, three complete reboots and 6 years of development time with continual promises about how awesome Tabula Rasa would be wasn't a clear enough example on its own?

17. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 19:22 Halo

wtf_man wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 15:35:
Xil wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 11:45:
its 100% remake of Dungeon Master if you ask me, even the spell system BUT I love it for just that and can't wait for it to be released

Wasn't Dungeon Master from the perspective of creating dungeons, then watching AI NPCs go through it, though?

Wizardry was taking a party of 6 through a dungeon... and in Grimlock, you are taking a party of 4 through.

EDIT: Nevermind... I just watched a YouTube video of Dungeon Master... I was confusing it with another game. I can't believe I never saw / heard of this... although not being an Atari guy back then sort of explains it.

Dungeon Keeper.

16. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 19:16 Cutter

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 16:12:
Garriot hasn't really had any hits since Ultima. One has to wonder if he was a great designer or if he just had the ability and charisma to surround himself with people who made him seem great.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 17:53 LanikTnt

Grimrock is awfully close to Grimlock.... Will your character talk like the leader of the dinobots?

ME LIKE DUNGEON!!! ME SMASH SKELETON!!! HA HA HA HA !!!

14. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 16:12 Silicon Avatar

Garriot hasn't really had any hits since Ultima. One has to wonder if he was a great designer or if he just had the ability and charisma to surround himself with people who made him seem great.

13. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 15:35 wtf_man

Xil wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 11:45:
its 100% remake of Dungeon Master if you ask me, even the spell system BUT I love it for just that and can't wait for it to be released

Wasn't Dungeon Master from the perspective of creating dungeons, then watching AI NPCs go through it, though?

Wizardry was taking a party of 6 through a dungeon... and in Grimlock, you are taking a party of 4 through.

EDIT: Nevermind... I just watched a YouTube video of Dungeon Master... I was confusing it with another game. I can't believe I never saw / heard of this... although not being an Atari guy back then sort of explains it.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2011, 15:44.

12. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 14:10 Bodolza

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 13:14:

Average age of a gamer is 37. I think the Blue's community actually skews a bit older. Plus some of us have been playing video games since we were 5 years old.

A few more years and the comment section topics are going to start including colostomy bags and liver spots.

11. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 13:33 Bhruic

Hey, I'm not that old! The c64 version (which is what I played) didn't come out until 1983. And I was still pretty young while I was playing it.

It's funny, talking about it made me look it up, and one of the guides talks about how rolling a single character (with good stats) can take well over an hour to do. Guess my memory of play time vs rolling time was pretty accurate!

10. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 13:14 Burrito of Peace

Bhruic wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 13:08:
I'm not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, but Oubliette was one of, if not the first. 1977, and Wizardry cited it as one of its inspirations. It was a fun game to play, if a bit frustrating, I think I spent more time rolling characters than I did actually playing.

LoG definitely also reminds me of DM, especially their most recent batch of screenshots which clearly shows an updated Screamer. I'll definitely buy it, if it is reasonably priced, to re-experience that magic again. I must have played DM for thousands upon thousands of hours when I was a kid.

"Thanks for the staff. Now you die."
End of game.

9. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 13:08 Bhruic

There is only one other game that was before Wizardry that started this view perspective, but I forgot the name (Had a small blue castle with a light gray background, Apple ][)

I'm not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, but Oubliette was one of, if not the first. 1977, and Wizardry cited it as one of its inspirations. It was a fun game to play, if a bit frustrating, I think I spent more time rolling characters than I did actually playing.

8. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 12:46 Xil

Surf wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 12:32:

Uhh, Wizardry was made in 1980! DM was made in the mid 80's.

I know but everything I seen so far in the previews... the layout, the puzzles, the monsters it just screams DM to me and not Wizardry..... but either way, its something to look forward too

7. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 12:32 Surf

Uhh, Wizardry was made in 1980! DM was made in the mid 80's. There is only one other game that was before Wizardry that started this view perspective, but I forgot the name (Had a small blue castle with a light gray background, Apple ][) Even Alternate Reality was before Dungeon Master, and AR is far ahead of both games in terms of content.

Lord British BLEW IT giving the rights away to Ultima, what a friggin tool. When will people learn to never give the rights away to the very thing they created? Most of us never make anything that goes commercial, and those that do squander it a few years later. So short sighted.

6. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 11:47 Silicon Avatar

LoG looks pretty cool.

5. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 11:45 Xil

Wolfen wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 11:08:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 10:35:
Actually redoing the series in 1st person, but keeping it turn-based wouldn't be a totally bad idea... if they could keep it like the upcoming Legend of Grimlock game, which is a modern Wizardry clone.

http://www.grimrock.net/2011/11/28/beta/

Reminds me more of Eye of The Beholder series heh. Either way LoG looks sweet.

4. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 11:41 Metasparks

OOhhh shit. Lord British just got BUTT-SLAMMED!  

3. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 11:08 Wolfen

wtf_man wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 10:35:
Actually redoing the series in 1st person, but keeping it turn-based wouldn't be a totally bad idea... if they could keep it like the upcoming Legend of Grimlock game, which is a modern Wizardry clone.

http://www.grimrock.net/2011/11/28/beta/

Reminds me more of Eye of The Beholder series heh. Either way LoG looks sweet.

If I recall... some folks at EA find UO2 to be destined to failure by "curse" lol.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo