Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday

A comment on reddit by ArenaNet in the I Am A chat mentioned earlier reveals plans to begin closed beta testing of Guild Wars 2 on Friday: "We will officially enter Closed Beta Testing this Friday. It will be marked with an increase in our pool of testers. To clarify, this phase of testing is still under NDA and is not open to the public. Based on the feedback we get from our current Closed Beta Testing, we will determine the next phases of our beta program in which we will open beta access to more people." Also, there's this follow up post indicating they are not offering any hints on the selection process for the beta for the MMORPG sequel. Thanks Guild Wars 2 Slovenija.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Jan 23, 2012, 16:27 nin

mootant wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 16:25:
Why doesn't bluesnews ever have beta invites to large games such as this?

I can't tell if you're kidding or serious.

If you are serious, let's just say we have a reputation for being a bit..."cranky".

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. No subject Jan 23, 2012, 16:25 lollollol

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 11:14.

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 15, 2011, 05:23 Cutter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 21:12:
nin wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 18:32:

Wonder how close they are to shipping?

From the looks of the alpha currently I wouldn't expect it until Summer or Fall, earliest. Possibly Winter 2012.

That's way too far out. I know they keep saying when it's ready but I seem to recall them mentioning (late) spring at some point?? And besides, beta means feature locked. So it could possibly go 6 months but I seriously doubt it. Once (closed) betas start - these days in particular you're looking at about a 3 month window max. Well, that's what I'm crossing my fingers for at any rate, lol.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 23:17 Fion

The first 'phase' of closed beta consists of hand picked testers. They've said if that goes well they'll open up the beta to testers and from there decide if they want to do a an open beta before release.  

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 22:01 Mordecai Walfish

No, not currently.  

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 21:49 Undocumented Alien

Is there anywhere to sign up for GW2 Testing?  

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 21:12 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 18:32:

From the looks of the alpha currently I wouldn't expect it until Summer or Fall, earliest. Possibly Winter 2012.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 20:28 Alamar

LgFriess wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 18:57:
Anybody know how open this world is? I was a little (lot) disappointed in some of the beginning areas of SWTOR. The space felt very confined. I understand they do this to properly push the story aspect but I'm just a fan of big, open worlds to explore (loving Skyrim). WoW initially gave me this "big world to explore" feeling.

And ya, I'm aware that SWTOR does get "bigger" as you level.

Well, with GW2, one of the goals, since it has no end game, is that you can go back to early content, and still be 'challenged'...

Like City of Heroes/Villains, they split your level into two; combat and 'other'... So while you may be level 80, if you go to a lvl 5 zone, you'll get knocked down to 'effective lvl 8' or so...

Due to that, and since there is no story pushing you forward (in the open world), the whole thing is one big blob of quests (dynamic events). So ya, it will feel more open than SWTOR in that regard.

We'll see how well the system works... I personally like being able to 'go back' and rip through the content; like running friends through dungeons/quests, etc...

-Alamar

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 19:27 Fion

Each zone is split into four large regions as well FYI. If you google 'tyria interactive maps' you can get a look at some of the maps we know about so far. They are good sized, some seem rather huge.

And this 'closed beta' will consist of hand picked people. As to a release date, I expect either around June, or in the fall. I doubt they'd release in the winter as they'd be competing with the WoW expansion, and as shit as it looks it'll still suck up all the game sales for all three months of the final quarter.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the new Mesmer. The use of clones and phantoms, the shattering mechanic, and the wide variety of weapons (typical of all the classes really) means it's gonna be really interesting in PvP.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2011, 19:35.

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 19:01 Mikus_Aurelius

The GW2 world is 25ish zones, with portals between them. Each zone is decently large though. I think I've read 15 minutes to run across.  

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 18:57 LgFriess

Anybody know how open this world is? I was a little (lot) disappointed in some of the beginning areas of SWTOR. The space felt very confined. I understand they do this to properly push the story aspect but I'm just a fan of big, open worlds to explore (loving Skyrim). WoW initially gave me this "big world to explore" feeling.

And ya, I'm aware that SWTOR does get "bigger" as you level.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 18:54 Cutter

March/April would be my guess. Sooner would be better.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 18:32 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Closed Beta Friday Dec 14, 2011, 16:51 Cutter

And what did I just say in the Mesmer thread earlier today? And boom goes the dynamite.

Ahh man this is going to be wicked good!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo