Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameFront - The Spike Video Game Awards Donít Need to Change, YOU Do!
The Spike VGAs arenít for you. They never have been, and they probably never will be, because what you want doesnít make for good television. You want to see a bunch of developers accepting their awards and giving big, insightful speeches that will stir your imagination and teach you a little something about how the best games of the year were made. Thatís not good TV. Half the developers have never been in front of a camera in their lives, and even less of them are actually good in front of one. Of the few acceptance speeches that were allowed to air, I donít think a single one failed to be waffling and awkward. People who are not you donít want to see that. People who are not you would like to see footballers revealing which footballer will be the footballer on the football game that theyíre looking forward to. Because thatís who the Spike VGAs are for ó people who watch Spike, drink beer, and watch the f*ck out of some football.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 20:22 Prez

Jerykk wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 18:57:
I'm not really sure who the target audience is. Hardcore gamers won't watch it because it's terrible but they're the only ones who would watch a video game awards show in the first place.

A lot of "non-gamers" have played CoD and Madden (or at the very least, have seen them played). My thirty-something soccer-mom housewife friend knows the name of the protagonist in MW3 and plays Madden with her boys (She always plays the Saints - her favorite team). I can actually see her watching the Spike TV awards if some Saints dude is on it.

As much as I hate the Spike TV awards, the article does make some sense.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 18:57 Jerykk

I'm not really sure who the target audience is. Hardcore gamers won't watch it because it's terrible but they're the only ones who would watch a video game awards show in the first place.  

10. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 18:27 TurdFergasun

it's funny that the people they're repeatedly creating this abortion in media for don't seem to give a shit about it either. sounds like spike likes abusive relationships. for a network thats supposedly for men they need to quit being such demographic humping pussies and man up.  

9. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 15:37 space captain

your hair looks like shit

you need to spend more time preening in front of the mirror

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 13:08 Creston

yonder wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 12:58:
Also, thanks for signing your post, I was unsure who wrote it.

Oh, hi Zeph. Thanks for identifying yourself again. I think this is the 100th iteration of your dumb ass I have on my ignore list.

Creston

7. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 12:58 yonder

Creston wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 11:01:
Exactly. And it isn't that hard to figure out.

So why some people still get all upset over how "lowest common denominator" the Spike VGAs are is beyond me.

Creston

It's not because it's so insulting and asstarded, it's because non-gamers see it and they think that's what gamers are. Also, thanks for signing your post, I was unsure who wrote it.

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 11:23 PHJF

I haven't watched Spike since it was TNN.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 11:01 Creston

Exactly. And it isn't that hard to figure out.

So why some people still get all upset over how "lowest common denominator" the Spike VGAs are is beyond me.

Creston

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 10:54 Frijoles

I'd watch if they changed the format to something like the Oscars. Roll out the red carpet for devs. Best engine. Best voice actors. Less hype and flashing lights.  

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 10:31 Cutter

The only bigger waste of time than watching Spike and/or their VGA show is writing OPeds about it. You can summarize that entire article to the following sentence..."Stop watching Spike and it will eventually go away."

'Nuff said.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 10:13 wtf_man

The only thing I watch (that also happens to be broadcasted on Spike) is Powerblock TV's Muscle Car and Horsepower shows.

Other than that, I really can't think of anything worth watching on that Channel.

1. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2011, 09:55 Beamer

But there aren't many of those people that would bother watching this.
The audience is really limited to teenage boys with nothing better to do so they think this is awesome and, well, adult males with the mentality of teenage males who don't feel like doing whatever they have that's better to do.

It's a small niche. Spike, though, gets awful ratings so they take what they can get.

That we shouldn't pay attention is a good point, though. It's on Spike, we should realize we shouldn't pay attention. And, in truth, most of us don't.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo