Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers

AMD now offers new version 11.12 AMD Catalyst reference drivers for AMD/ATI accelerators, as well as AMD Catalyst 12.1 preview drivers. Word is: "The AMD Catalyst™ 12.1 Preview includes all of the features found in AMD Catalyst™ 11.12 and also includes all of the latest optimizations found in the AMD Catalyst 11.11c performance drivers. It is highly recommended that all gamers use the AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 15, 2011, 13:19 Wowbagger_TIP

InBlack wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 10:06:
A lot of enthusiasts run their systems to the limit and if their system doesnt crash and runs stable they automatically assume that everything works fine & dandy without looking at the fine points like CPU temperature and the like.
I think those are crazy people rather than enthusiasts. I try not to kill my processor when I overclock. Running that far outside of the safe temp range is a REALLY bad idea. There's a reason you don't overclock to the point that your cooling solution can't keep up, which is the instability you're likely to encounter, as you obviously found out. It isn't always immediately apparent. I don't know of any enthusiasts that would do that. They either back off on the overclock, or buy a better cooler.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 15, 2011, 13:19 Wowbagger_TIP

InBlack wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 10:06:
A lot of enthusiasts run their systems to the limit and if their system doesnt crash and runs stable they automatically assume that everything works fine & dandy without looking at the fine points like CPU temperature and the like.
I think those are crazy people rather than enthusiasts. I try not to kill my processor when I overclock. Running that far outside of the safe temp range is a REALLY bad idea. There's a reason you don't overclock to the point that your cooling solution can't keep up, which is the instability you're likely to encounter, as you obviously found out. I don't know of any enthusiasts that would do that. They either back off on the overclock, or buy a better cooler.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

27. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 15, 2011, 10:06 InBlack

Creston wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 16:49:
InBlack wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 06:20:
funny story

Hehehe.
I do have to ask why you're overclocking without having a temp monitor app on your desktop, though?

Creston

I wasnt. Erm, I guess that wasnt really clear from my post sorry.
But the effect of a loose heatsink would be similar to a massive overclock at least in terms of thermal output.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 23:26 Jerykk

Years. So now will it be possible to run new games in crossfire before ati finishes sitting around for a week or more after release and releases profiles?

You could already do that with Radeon Pro. Unfortunately, even if you force CrossFire manually, that doesn't mean it will work properly. You could get negative scaling or stuttering or image quality issues.

25. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 19:35 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 22:59:
These drivers add some extra options, one of which is the ability to select Crossfire rendering type (something that's been a long time coming).
Years. So now will it be possible to run new games in crossfire before ati finishes sitting around for a week or more after release and releases profiles?

Yesterday I was digging around my PC and discovered my goddamn CPU heatsink was kinda loose on its mounts (WTF TROLOL??!!)
Who the fuck knows how long it was on like that, and who could have thought that my PC would work for months like that with no report of a problem.

I immediatly went into BIOS, checked the temperature and it was in the RED over 100 degrees celsius. Gotta hand it to Intel they sure make sturdy processors.... Blush

After pushing the heatsink back into place and rebooting I discovered to my amazement that Skyrim suddenly ran without a single hitch and with very very few slowdowns in any cities. Ditto for all the other games I tried.
Yeah, years back I remember videos of AMD processors going up in smoke from just a few seconds with heatsink removed. They did same to intel (it was a big thing back then to have integrated temp sensors and overheat shutoff) and it was fine, it slowed or froze, but it was fine.

Yeah it doesn't hurt to blow out the dust occasionally and gently feel the heatsink to make sure its secure

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2011, 19:58.

24. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 17:38 bhcompy

Hopefully the random BF3 crash/BSOD problems I've had since installing 11.11c go away with the new drivers  

23. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 17:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 16:55:
Anyone have any idea where I can get the Win7-64 versions of the 12.1? I only find links to what I assume are the 32 bit versions...

Creston
The download page lists both Win 7 x32 and x64 as supported Operating systems. Seems like it should work for either?

22. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 16:55 Creston

Anyone have any idea where I can get the Win7-64 versions of the 12.1? I only find links to what I assume are the 32 bit versions...

Creston

21. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 16:49 Creston

funny story

Hehehe.
I do have to ask why you're overclocking without having a temp monitor app on your desktop, though?

Creston

20. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 13:09 KilrathiAce

I have 6990 and I had no problems with 11.11 and cap3 of them however, I been looking forward to more control within ccc when it comes to how I want to use each chip on my card, and 11.12 and then 12.1 drivers will allow to do that better so I am quite happy.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

19. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 12:57 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 12:51:
While I've never done the dual-card thing, I've had no trouble with the last few cards I've had, which have all been ATI/AMD. I'm due for a new one now, but not sure if I should pull the trigger now or wait for the next batch of cards to come out and push prices down on the current ones. I'm still running a Radeon 4870 1GB right now. Still works fine though, and can run most things in high detail, with the exception of newer games like BF3. Skyrim runs well for me.

I'd wait, the next batch is due soon enough and even if the prices/performance ratios aren't great it will drive down prices on the 6950.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

18. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 12:51 Wowbagger_TIP

While I've never done the dual-card thing, I've had no trouble with the last few cards I've had, which have all been ATI/AMD. I'm due for a new one now, but not sure if I should pull the trigger now or wait for the next batch of cards to come out and push prices down on the current ones. I'm still running a Radeon 4870 1GB right now. Still works fine though, and can run most things in high detail, with the exception of newer games like BF3. Skyrim runs well for me.  

17. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 12:32 Jerykk

Tomas wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 03:24:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 01:12:
I really see no reason to buy another ATI card when I next upgrade.

The funny thing is that every time I buy AMD/ATi I think this same thing. The funnier thing is that every time I buy nVidia I think the same thing, but about nVidia, instead. In the end I've realized that it isn't one that is necessarily better than the other, but rather specific cards which are just more stable and "better" than others. It's like tossing out one set of problems only to inherit another, equally as frustrating set.

Except it's pretty much an established fact that Nvidia supports SLI better than ATI supports Crossfire. For example, Nvidia added SLI support to Skyrim on the game's launch day. It took at least a week for ATI to do the same. RAGE didn't have SLI or Crossfire support on launch, but those with Nvidia cards didn't suffer through the myriad of issues that ATI users did.

16. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 11:37 Overon

Ask yourself, why am I playing Rage? There are other games far better that are far more deserving of my time. Let Rage go.  

15. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 09:19 justice7

JayDeath wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 08:18:
I love my HD6970 and I look forward to installing the new drivers!
I have been using this same card for 6 months now, been very stable and runs everything I throw at it.

14. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 09:18 Verno

Videocard driver threads on here are truly interchangeable  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

13. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 08:18 JayDeath

I love my HD6970 and I look forward to installing the new drivers!  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

12. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 06:27 Bhruic

The funny thing is that every time I buy AMD/ATi I think this same thing. The funnier thing is that every time I buy nVidia I think the same thing, but about nVidia, instead. In the end I've realized that it isn't one that is necessarily better than the other, but rather specific cards which are just more stable and "better" than others.

Well, that, plus the fact that you really only tend to pay attention to (or perhaps pay more attention to) the problems that affect you. So it always "seems" like your card has more trouble than the other guy's, but that's because you gloss over the stories of trouble with the other cards because they don't apply to you.

11. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 06:20 InBlack

Tomas wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 03:24:
I really see no reason to buy another ATI card when I next upgrade.

The funny thing is that every time I buy AMD/ATi I think this same thing. The funnier thing is that every time I buy nVidia I think the same thing, but about nVidia, instead. In the end I've realized that it isn't one that is necessarily better than the other, but rather specific cards which are just more stable and "better" than others. It's like tossing out one set of problems only to inherit another, equally as frustrating set.

QFT. This, this exactly.

Personally I couldnt be happier with the HD 6870 I bought several months back. It was a steal compared to its Nvidia equivalent and so far Ive had "few" hiccups in all the games Ive played since. I do understand the rage (no pun intended) with the crossfire support for enthusiast users, it must be rather frustrating.

P.S. kind of offtopic:

I reported some problems with slowdowns in Skyrim a while ago and thought that its gfx driver related, but boy oh boy it was my own damn mistake.

Yesterday I was digging around my PC and discovered my goddamn CPU heatsink was kinda loose on its mounts (WTF TROLOL??!!)
Who the fuck knows how long it was on like that, and who could have thought that my PC would work for months like that with no report of a problem.

I immediatly went into BIOS, checked the temperature and it was in the RED over 100 degrees celsius. Gotta hand it to Intel they sure make sturdy processors.... Blush

After pushing the heatsink back into place and rebooting I discovered to my amazement that Skyrim suddenly ran without a single hitch and with very very few slowdowns in any cities. Ditto for all the other games I tried.

So my advice to guys with very beefy rigs who are having FPS problems with Skyrim and cant get to the bottom of it. If you are overclocking, try to run your CPU at stock speed and see what happens. Could be your CPU is overheating and instead of shutting down its lowering its clock speed to compensate.

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Drivers Dec 14, 2011, 04:51 theyarecomingforyou

Don't even get me started on RAGE, which required several driver updates just to work out all the issues and get functional Crossfire support.
RAGE doesn't even support SLI, so I don't think it's fair to criticise AMD for taking too long to support Crossfire.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo