Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Alan Wake Plans?

A post on the Alan Wake Community Forums has a screenshot showing a listing for Alan Wake in Steam's registry, re-sparking speculation that a Windows PC edition of Remedy's console game is planned. They bolster this with a reminder of Remedy's Aki Järvilehto's statement on the prospect: "We have received feedback from a lot of PC gamers, and I have to admit that yes, we somehow ignored that. Let’s see if in the near future we could have some positive news to tell you about dating!" Thanks Eurogamer.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 23:36 Prez

... PC gamers didn't create that situation, Remedy and Microsoft did. There are many amazing games to play on the PC that aren't published by two companies who decided to gamble for console money and failed...

This line nailed it for me. Alan Wake is a "wait-and-see" for me, but boy did they screw themselves with some stupid moves.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 22:12 Dades

selection7 wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 21:21:
It is not true that just because something about a game is upsetting, we should boycott...or anything close to that. Supporting the platform, however, will get their attention. It's not rocket science.

You're telling people not to make decisions based on emotions but doing the exact same thing. If you want to buy Alan Wake then do it, stop telling other people what they're supposed to think or do. People can do whatever they want with their money and they shouldn't buy a years late console port because the company doing it needs the money, that's not a good reason or really much of a reason at all. Microsoft has had many problems releasing pc titles of their little exclusives over the years or did you somehow fail to notice them shelling out hundreds of millions for exclusivity rights to various games.

It's really more about not giving a shit about a barely above average title being released years late just to recoup some dev costs after they abandoned their target platform. PC gamers didn't create that situation, Remedy and Microsoft did. There are many amazing games to play on the PC that aren't published by two companies who decided to gamble for console money and failed, I'll go play those while you sit around lecturing people about saving the industry by supporting companies who actively harm it on a regular basis.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2011, 22:18.

39. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 21:21 selection7

Dades wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 07:09:
Microsoft made it one of their little exclusives as they have done with many other games, it was completely unnecessary. Saying I didn't buy Alan Wake PC because his facial animations are dumb is no less emotional and arbitrary than not buying it because it was out on the consoles first. Of course people should threaten not to buy it if something upset them, that's a big part of how the consumer and corporation feedback process works. Were they supposed to fill out surveys and send flowers instead with a little card saying oh poor Remedy, you took a sack full of microsoft money to not release the game but we understand! Maybe in your world everyone is a robot who doesn't let anything affect their incredibly objective world view but the rest of us live somewhere else.

It is not true that just because something about a game is upsetting, we should boycott...or anything close to that. Maybe there are times when that is actually true, but to say that means it is always true (and is true in this case) is fallacy. And sending thank you notes or whatever you said has nothing to do with it. What I said originally is still true. Even if a boycott was done to hypothetically excercise consumer rights (ridiculously, as I pointed out before since that would only make execs say "see, I knew PC gamers would never buy it"), it would still be stupid to make such a decision based on emotions, which is my point...much more so than anything about excercising consumer rights. Also, don't get hung up on the excusivity thing. Microsoft has never had a problem with releasing games on Windows and 360. They aren't really competing, plus Microsoft makes money when fanboys upgrade their PCs to play new games.

What worries me is that babies like you will dig us all into a hole. You cannot intimidate companies who aren't sure they want your money anyway into always releasing on PC too. Supporting the platform, however, will get their attention. It's not rocket science.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2011, 21:34.

38. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 21:14 Dades

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 20:12:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 13:21:
Microsoft had no real reason to make this a console exclusive, unlike with Halo.

Uh, what? If MS had their way, every game in existence would be an X360 exclusive. Who paid $50 million for GTA4 DLC timed exclusivity? Oh, that's right, MS did. $50 million. For timed exclusivity. I can only imagine how much they've paid for CoD DLC timed exclusivity. MS made Alan Wake an X360 exclusive, not Remedy.

Seriously. Beamer may have some insider knowledge about Remedy and their finances, but it sounds like he doesn't have a clue about Microsoft's (plainly apparent) gaming strategy.

He has no insider knowledge so don't worry about it.

37. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 20:12 Prez

Jerykk wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 13:21:
Microsoft had no real reason to make this a console exclusive, unlike with Halo.

Uh, what? If MS had their way, every game in existence would be an X360 exclusive. Who paid $50 million for GTA4 DLC timed exclusivity? Oh, that's right, MS did. $50 million. For timed exclusivity. I can only imagine how much they've paid for CoD DLC timed exclusivity. MS made Alan Wake an X360 exclusive, not Remedy.

Seriously. Beamer may have some insider knowledge about Remedy and their finances, but it sounds like he doesn't have a clue about Microsoft's (plainly apparent) gaming strategy.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 13:21 Jerykk

35. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 09:05 Beamer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 15:49:
Beamer wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 13:47:
Verno, this wasn't an arbitrary decision. They ran out of time and money. Something had to give. The PC version was what gave.
No. They decided that rather than releasing it on PC, as they had previously asserted, that they'd whore themselves out to Microsoft to make it a X360 exclusive. And it's a pisstake to come back to PC gamers, after what is approaching two years later, and try to claim they still care.

If companies produce decent games then they can sell incredibly well. Afterall, the Civilization series is pretty niche and PC exclusive yet Civ4 sold well over 3 million copies. And Call Of Duty isn't released on PC because of the fans... it's because it sells bucketloads and more than pays for itself.

Remedy can go back to sucking off Microsoft. PC gamers will save their money for developers / publishers that actually give a shit... and COD, apparently.

They did NOT suck off Microsoft. They ran out of money. This isn't hard to understand. Microsoft had no real reason to make this a console exclusive, unlike with Halo.

It was simply a matter of dollars. Remedy had zero. Microsoft was unwilling to give them more after they'd already given them so much.

Stop pretending that companies have infinite money. Remedy had gone 7 years without a release, and much of the Max Payne money had actually gone to 3D Realms, who blew through it trying to make DNF. How much do you think Remedy had left?

Again, stop acting like this was done to piss you off. Remedy was very, very unhappy doing this, but they had no real choice. They had to pick platforms, and only an idiotic company would release their 3rd person horror game on PC over console.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 07:09 Dades

selection7 wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 03:45:
I can't believe the decision was arbitrary, and regardless of how it was marketed, when the PC title was pulled it wasn't done to piss you off. My point still stands to not take it personally. Of course, if you ran an AlanWake PC fansite, that's something else, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not the case here.

Microsoft made it one of their little exclusives as they have done with many other games, it was completely unnecessary. Saying I didn't buy Alan Wake PC because his facial animations are dumb is no less emotional and arbitrary than not buying it because it was out on the consoles first. Of course people should threaten not to buy it if something upset them, that's a big part of how the consumer and corporation feedback process works. Were they supposed to fill out surveys and send flowers instead with a little card saying oh poor Remedy, you took a sack full of microsoft money to not release the game but we understand! Maybe in your world everyone is a robot who doesn't let anything affect their incredibly objective world view but the rest of us live somewhere else.

33. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 14, 2011, 03:45 selection7

In response to my post #21, I got replies that the no PC decision was arbitrary and that by originally planning and marketing the game as PC, the company wronged PC gamers in a way that warrants threats of not buying the game out of spite.

I can't believe the decision was arbitrary, and regardless of how it was marketed, when the PC title was pulled it wasn't done to piss you off. My point still stands to not take it personally. Of course, if you ran an AlanWake PC fansite, that's something else, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not the case here.

32. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 19:48 Prez

What a sad saga the development history of Alan Wake makes. I remember seeing it for the first time (a LONG time ago) in a preview and thinking a survival horror game from the Max Payne guys would be awesome.

They decided that rather than releasing it on PC, as they had previously asserted, that they'd whore themselves out to Microsoft to make it a X360 exclusive. And it's a pisstake to come back to PC gamers, after what is approaching two years later, and try to claim they still care.

True. I'll still buy it if it looks to be worth it, but I'm thinking that the most memorable thing about the game will be probably be its sordid history.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2011, 20:03.

- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 15:49 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 13:47:
Verno, this wasn't an arbitrary decision. They ran out of time and money. Something had to give. The PC version was what gave.
No. They decided that rather than releasing it on PC, as they had previously asserted, that they'd whore themselves out to Microsoft to make it a X360 exclusive. And it's a pisstake to come back to PC gamers, after what is approaching two years later, and try to claim they still care.

If companies produce decent games then they can sell incredibly well. Afterall, the Civilization series is pretty niche and PC exclusive yet Civ4 sold well over 3 million copies. And Call Of Duty isn't released on PC because of the fans... it's because it sells bucketloads and more than pays for itself.

Remedy can go back to sucking off Microsoft. PC gamers will save their money for developers / publishers that actually give a shit... and COD, apparently.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 15:44 Joss

PHJF wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 14:16:
What I do have a problem with is announcing a promising new IP for the PC complete with fancy showings at E3 and then years into development saying, "oh wait, we're just going to make it a 360 exclusive instead." That's called a dick move.
Yeah, I remember them showing those fancy tornadoes on the PC build. I was really looking forward to this game. Son-of-a-bitch! Same shit happened with Halo 1. Microsoft 'dick move'(they finally delivered).

29. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 15:40 wtf_man

Well... since I don't own a console and never will... I'd probably buy it.

Depending on how buggy and consolized the PC version is, would determine whether I'd wait for the bargain bin, though. (As does with most titles that I buy)

28. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 15:23 Cutter

And when this crappy console game is crappily ported to the PC and it fails miserably they'll once again blame the PC gamers and pirates for its failure.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 14:59 Jerykk

What I do have a problem with is announcing a promising new IP for the PC complete with fancy showings at E3 and then years into development saying, "oh wait, we're just going to make it a 360 exclusive instead." That's called a dick move. Microsoft.

Fixed. Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised to see Alan Wake on PC. Like Fable 3, it failed to meet sales expectations on X360 so MS is hoping to recoup some of those losses with a cheap PC port.

26. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 14:32 AdamK47

D-Rock wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 10:50:
"...we somehow ignored that..."

What?!? Is he serious?!? 'Somehow'?

Oops! I slipped, fell, and suddenly found myself ignoring the entire PC platform! You know, the platform that put us on the map and made us a highly respected developer...for a little while.

Alan Wake took way too long to be released, and the teasing they did with the initially promised PC version was annoying. I'm done with these guys. Based on other responses in these comments, so is everyone else. Their self-fulfilling prophecy has come to fruition. You want console only releases because you feel it's not worth your time? You got it. Don't waste your time then.

What Blue quoted was a horrible Google translated version. The actual content of what was said is in post #14 of the linked forum thread...

"We have received a lot of feedback from PC gamers and we have to admit that we are tempted to take that into account. We'll see if, in the near future, we might have some positive news to say about this as well."

25. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 14:16 PHJF

What I'm trying to say is, don't be a baby. When a company doensn't release a game on PC, they're not making that decision just to piss you off. I was looking forward to the game and I still am...if it's good.

I don't have a problem with companies not releasing a game for PC (well obviously being a PC gamer I'd prefer they do, but I'm not outraged when they don't).

What I do have a problem with is announcing a promising new IP for the PC complete with fancy showings at E3 and then years into development saying, "oh wait, we're just going to make it a 360 exclusive instead." That's called a dick move.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 13:47 Beamer

I'd wager you'd make the same decision under the same circumstances. With no hope for more money they pretty much finish/polish one version or release two unfinished/unpolished version.

No one was happy with the decision made. No one was happy with the development process as a whole. Alan Wake completely disappeared because Remedy struggled so much to make it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 13:42 Creston

Joss wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 12:37:
Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 10:34:
Walking around dark areas with a flashlight. Sounds thrilling.
It is in Skyrim!

Skyrim isn't dark. And it has Dragons!

Creston

22. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 13:36 Verno

In fact, people not buying PC games in certain situations is what led them to make the decision in the first place

I disagree, Microsoft frequently makes arbitrary decisions related to exclusivity and this was one of those situations. The game was originally a PC exclusive title when you go back far enough even.

It's been over a year since it's release, the console version launched to mixed reviews and many of the gamers who had been waiting for Alan Wake simply moved on. It's not difficult to see why this will have trouble getting traction on any platform, they would experience the same issues if they decided to port to the PS3 for example.

As for being dramatic, when a game you were very excited for gets gutted and redressed as a console exclusive well... I won't say they're being mature about it but I think it's pretty easy to understand where the attitude comes from.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2011, 13:44.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo