Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Early Access Begins

EA announces the promised early access is now beginning for Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare's new Star Wars MMORPG. Here's word:

The globally acclaimed MMORPG goes live on December 20, 2011 in North America and Europe, but customers that pre-ordered the title will begin entering the game starting as soon as today, December 13, 2011 at 6:00 AM CST. Players will access the game in waves, creating a rolling thunder of fans pre-loading and playing the game. The Early Game Access program will help manage server volumes, helping to ensure a smooth day-one experience. To participate in the Early Game Access program, customers must pre-order Star Wars: The Old Republic and redeem their code** at http://www.swtor.com/preorder/code. Pre-orders are available in limited quantities at most participating retailers and digitally via Origin.com™.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 15, 2011, 02:05 Eldaron Imotholin

Got in yesterday together with my cousin. Played the evening together. Man is this game so much more awesome playing nonstop with a buddy! Can't wait to get this miserable workday over with and get back in the second I'm back home!  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 14, 2011, 13:06 Drayth

Played last night, saw lots of added content from the August build I last played.

Juke boxes in cantinas?? Awesome.

50. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 14, 2011, 10:48 Ant

nin wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 10:33:
Ant wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 09:23:
Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 17:17:
Is downloading 30 freaking gigs really the only way to get the client?? Or is the download not as bad when you get the retail version?

I kind of want to check this out, but there's no way in hell I'm downloading 30 gigs...

Creston
I thought the last few betas were 20 GB? What is in that extra 10 GB?

Doesn't matter Ant, you won't play it anyway.

True, but I still can rant. Can't I?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

49. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 14, 2011, 10:33 nin

Ant wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 09:23:
Is downloading 30 freaking gigs really the only way to get the client?? Or is the download not as bad when you get the retail version?

I kind of want to check this out, but there's no way in hell I'm downloading 30 gigs...

Creston

Doesn't matter Ant, you won't play it anyway.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

48. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 14, 2011, 09:23 Ant

Creston

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

47. removed Dec 14, 2011, 07:25 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 14, 2011, 13:37.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

46. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 21:31 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 12:46:
My review for this game is the same as Spinal Tap got for Shark Sandwich. See you all in 3 months when you've finished EVERYTHING there is to do in this game and you're begging to get into GW2. Fools and their money.

I may be done SWTOR in 3 months... But that's still 2 months more content than GW2 will have...

I realize idiocy isn't contagious, but it still scares me how close you live.

-Alamar

45. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 21:20 Tumbler

Has it gone free-to-play yet?

It basically is free to play right now... you can still cancel your pre order retaining your early access. Pre order / early access are the "free" trials.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

44. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 21:14 Prez

Has it gone free-to-play yet?

I'd actually try it were it not for the monthly fee. That is a deal breaker for me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 19:34 ColoradoHoudini

my own copy and paste from a very recent SWTOR thread here:

So I was like a lot of you guys around here.. I saw all the videos from the past.. and the game looked like absolute poop. The animations looked stiff, the fighting looked terrible, the game to me had ZERO appeal. None. I enjoyed bashing it along with you all, I admit it, I enjoyed bashing a game I hadn't played yet.

Then a few guildmates of mine (from my hardcore WoW days) started talking more about more about the game in our FB group. Their impressions about the closed beta (without breaking the NDA:) They kept telling me how the game was being improved, that it's a quality title, that they promised I'd like it.. so after a thorough peer pressuring, I bought the game and got in on the beta.
(keep in mind, I was still super skeptical at this point)

I jump in the game and wouldn't you freaking know it, the god damn storyline grabbed me right off the bat. Why is this important? Never once in any RPG or MMO have I cared one bit about the storyline of my character or the world. I've been gaming for ages on the PC.. in RPG's/MMO's I just wanted gear.. to see new places/mobs.. level up.. etc. Here I was in SW paying attention to the 3 storylines of the 3 different classes I got to level 11'ish in the beta. I actually enjoyed the storyline and I want to see it play out for the 3 classes I played in the beta.. and I assume I will try the other classes too..just for the story. My storyline felt like it fit in with the world I was interacting with, I felt like my choices had consequences, and I always felt like I wanted to pick up the side quests I ran across too.

I played a Bounty Hunter.. Sith Warrior.. and Imperial Agent.

Other things I really liked:
1. The companions are awesome.. flat out awesome. From material gathering for your professions, to helping in combat..I loved everything with them. Keeping them happy is key..lol!
2. The PvP I did.. I rather enjoyed. It wasn't sticky or clunky.. I didnt lose control of my character a lot.. I felt like I contributed..felt good.
3. I felt like I was in a HUGE world. Transferring from area to area, boarding the fleet starships, I felt like I was a tiny player in a big world. I guess not knowing how big the world is (unlike in Rift where I saw the whole game map prior to playing) does/did help me think the game was absolutely huge--so that's up for change later.
4. The game felt intuitive.. what I thought the controls/UI/gameplay would do.. it did
5. The skills worked very well for me.. I never felt like I was missing something, or needed a different skill at my level in order to tackle the content. I felt like my attacks were varied and fun.
6. The quests worked well with the groups.. and I REALLY liked how if you were in a group with someone, and they were turning in a quest.. you could Holocall? (some virtual call) with the NPC your grouped partner was talking to. I felt like I was in a thriving MMO environment.
7. They had some tougher low end quests (not related to your storyline) that you needed to group to do. Finding a group for it was simple too. The rewards seemed above par of my current gear by a good bit. A just reward imho.
8. The loot drops I got always seemed to be the right level gear drops.
9. Travel was fine and in no way did I feel like I was wasting time running around.

Okay.. well, I don't know if that helps anyone at all.. but yeah, I went in with disgust on my mind.. I was ready to bash the game, I fully admit that. I was thrown for a loop, and look forward to playing early and often.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2011, 19:41.

42. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 18:19 Teddy

Ray Marden wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 17:55:
  • They had a poor explanation of how the system would work - if you have already registered your product, you just need to wait until they "unlock" your client for the free play. However, the account page tells yhou that you need to enter a code and set up a subscription.

• This is the very first line on my account page:

If you are a pre-order customer, the following steps are NOT required for Early Game Access.

41. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 18:14 entr0py

So far, this is the smoothest large scale MMO launch I've ever seen. No lag, no queues, and it's performing very well on my mid-range system.

Of course the real test will be how it scales as they move in the masses. But this staggered loading of players to keep the lowbie areas from getting overwhelmed seems like a very good idea. So was assigning guilds to servers. For the first week in RIFT I had to deal with 6 hour queues, not because there weren't enough servers, but because my guild randomly choose a server that turned out to have an ultra high population.

40. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 17:59 Creston

PC Gamer is doing a livestream right now. To be honest, it looks pretty boring, though the guy playing just seems to be running around doing fetch and carry missions, rather than going somewhere and fighting something.

He did get into a scrape once, and it was one human standing still vs another human standing still, both swapping red numbers in damage. It looked anything but exciting.

Edit : Five seconds after I typed that, he was fighting something, and it was less static than that first fight. I question the "you must be in cover to use this skill" theory, though. He was fighting a melee monster, and when he ducked into cover, the thing was right on top of him. It just looked kinda... weird.

Creston

39. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 17:55 Ray Marden

I got in and am about to give it a whirl...

However, EA's early support has been a total joke to date:

• When the servers go down, it tells you that your password is incorrect instead of saying it is down or unable to connect.

• They had a poor explanation of how the system would work - if you have already registered your product, you just need to wait until they "unlock" your client for the free play. However, the account page tells yhou that you need to enter a code and set up a subscription.

• The e-mails went out before all the (selected) accounts had been swapped to early play. I got the e-mail and tried to play, but was told to get a subscription. I tried to subscribe, but it told me that I needed to enter my product code. I couldn't enter my product code because it had already been entered under my account...

• Customer service was MiA for the first few hours afer e-mails went out.

• Even with all this, I still need to come back on the 20th to activate my already registered account and to set up my subscription. Heaven forbid they let me do that now while they are rolling people out in waves. Note that the website is frequently down.

• On a side note, my wife only got her Origin The Sims 3 Black Friday deal some five days after ordering. She had to do two chats and one phone call to get it resolved. The first two told her to wait and even the third one questioned her about this, stating that the order had gone through. Sure enough, when he logged into her account, he could not account for why the games were not there and had to manually add them to her login.
    Morons.
    As for ToR, I am curious to see where it goes. It really is an online version of the single-player game, but that is also its weakness. If I had to make a random guess, I would think this is a game that any SW/BioWare fan buys, plays the story to the end/maximum level, and then quits when no endgame is found to exist. I will absolutely play this to maximum level, but the combat lacks the feedback of WoW and the professions and planet-specific grinding seems a bit peculiar. I didn't get far into the beta and I certainly never made it to space, but does the game ever open up into a massively mutiplayer setting?

Annoyed they show you various races and then tell you to make a colored human,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
    I love you, mom.

38. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 17:32 Wallshadows

It's more along the lines of 18GB or so. There is one giant 11GB chunk, followed by a 4GB chunk and smaller files here and there. Retail version is just a typical installation off the disc.

37. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 17:17 Creston

Creston

36. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 16:25 nin

PropheT wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 16:20:
    eunichron wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 15:52:
    Out of curiosity, those of you that did get in today, when did you redeem your pre-order code?

The first day they were available. My wife only preordered a few weeks ago and as far as I know hasn't gotten an email yet, though, and doesn't expect to for at least a few days yet.

Yeah, it went like at like 1-2AM? And I had my order in before I left for work at 7, that same day. So I was going to be a little surprised if I didn't get in today...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

35. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 16:20 PropheT

eunichron wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 15:52:
    Out of curiosity, those of you that did get in today, when did you redeem your pre-order code?

The first day they were available. My wife only preordered a few weeks ago and as far as I know hasn't gotten an email yet, though, and doesn't expect to for at least a few days yet.

34. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 16:17 saluk

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 12:46:
    My review for this game is the same as Spinal Tap got for Shark Sandwich. See you all in 3 months when you've finished EVERYTHING there is to do in this game and you're begging to get into GW2. Fools and their money.

If those 3 months are fun I am not complaining, and would give it a good review. I got no other mmos to play right now. There are mmos that I have played longer than 3 months, but the most fun I have usually comes in the short spurts whenever there is new content. This is no different.

33. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 16:17 Krakum

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 15:20:
    Krakum wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 13:31:
    If I can get 3 months of gameplay out of any game, then I would chalk that up as a success IMO...

BTW: Cutter, your posts are becoming boring and predictable... time to turn the page.

Really? I didn't realize I was here to provide you entertainment. DOn't like my posts, don't read them or put me on ignore, jackass. Lord knows I have enough fo your ilk on ignore and now you're going there too.

w00t! I made the asshat angry!

Now give in to your nerd rage and feel the power of the dark side!

Oh, and I registered on 21-JUL-2011 - not sure where that falls in the scope of getting in early. Like I said, I still didn't get my email stating I could play, but I'm playing nonetheless. /shrug

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo