Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Early Access Begins

EA announces the promised early access is now beginning for Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare's new Star Wars MMORPG. Here's word:

The globally acclaimed MMORPG goes live on December 20, 2011 in North America and Europe, but customers that pre-ordered the title will begin entering the game starting as soon as today, December 13, 2011 at 6:00 AM CST. Players will access the game in waves, creating a rolling thunder of fans pre-loading and playing the game. The Early Game Access program will help manage server volumes, helping to ensure a smooth day-one experience. To participate in the Early Game Access program, customers must pre-order Star Wars: The Old Republic and redeem their code** at http://www.swtor.com/preorder/code. Pre-orders are available in limited quantities at most participating retailers and digitally via Origin.comô.

View
43. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 19:34 ColoradoHoudini

my own copy and paste from a very recent SWTOR thread here:

So I was like a lot of you guys around here.. I saw all the videos from the past.. and the game looked like absolute poop. The animations looked stiff, the fighting looked terrible, the game to me had ZERO appeal. None. I enjoyed bashing it along with you all, I admit it, I enjoyed bashing a game I hadn't played yet.

Then a few guildmates of mine (from my hardcore WoW days) started talking more about more about the game in our FB group. Their impressions about the closed beta (without breaking the NDA:) They kept telling me how the game was being improved, that it's a quality title, that they promised I'd like it.. so after a thorough peer pressuring, I bought the game and got in on the beta.
(keep in mind, I was still super skeptical at this point)

I jump in the game and wouldn't you freaking know it, the god damn storyline grabbed me right off the bat. Why is this important? Never once in any RPG or MMO have I cared one bit about the storyline of my character or the world. I've been gaming for ages on the PC.. in RPG's/MMO's I just wanted gear.. to see new places/mobs.. level up.. etc. Here I was in SW paying attention to the 3 storylines of the 3 different classes I got to level 11'ish in the beta. I actually enjoyed the storyline and I want to see it play out for the 3 classes I played in the beta.. and I assume I will try the other classes too..just for the story. My storyline felt like it fit in with the world I was interacting with, I felt like my choices had consequences, and I always felt like I wanted to pick up the side quests I ran across too.

I played a Bounty Hunter.. Sith Warrior.. and Imperial Agent.

Other things I really liked:
1. The companions are awesome.. flat out awesome. From material gathering for your professions, to helping in combat..I loved everything with them. Keeping them happy is key..lol!
2. The PvP I did.. I rather enjoyed. It wasn't sticky or clunky.. I didnt lose control of my character a lot.. I felt like I contributed..felt good.
3. I felt like I was in a HUGE world. Transferring from area to area, boarding the fleet starships, I felt like I was a tiny player in a big world. I guess not knowing how big the world is (unlike in Rift where I saw the whole game map prior to playing) does/did help me think the game was absolutely huge--so that's up for change later.
4. The game felt intuitive.. what I thought the controls/UI/gameplay would do.. it did
5. The skills worked very well for me.. I never felt like I was missing something, or needed a different skill at my level in order to tackle the content. I felt like my attacks were varied and fun.
6. The quests worked well with the groups.. and I REALLY liked how if you were in a group with someone, and they were turning in a quest.. you could Holocall? (some virtual call) with the NPC your grouped partner was talking to. I felt like I was in a thriving MMO environment.
7. They had some tougher low end quests (not related to your storyline) that you needed to group to do. Finding a group for it was simple too. The rewards seemed above par of my current gear by a good bit. A just reward imho.
8. The loot drops I got always seemed to be the right level gear drops.
9. Travel was fine and in no way did I feel like I was wasting time running around.

Okay.. well, I don't know if that helps anyone at all.. but yeah, I went in with disgust on my mind.. I was ready to bash the game, I fully admit that. I was thrown for a loop, and look forward to playing early and often.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2011, 19:41.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 13, 10:40 Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Xoxotl
  2. Dec 13, 10:48  Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins InBlack
  5. Dec 13, 11:24   Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Verno
  7. Dec 13, 11:35   Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins fujiJuice
  8. Dec 13, 11:46    Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Bill Borre
  9. Dec 13, 11:58     Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Krakum
  17. Dec 13, 12:25     Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins GinRummy
  18. Dec 13, 12:39      Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Fion
  19. Dec 13, 12:41       Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Pete
  24. Dec 13, 13:18      Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins nin