Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013

The Command & Conquer Blog has the announcement of Command & Conquer Generals 2, a sequel to this spin-off of the C&C series of real-time strategy games. A website for the game is already online, indicating BioWare is developing the game, and offering a trailer and screenshots to show off the game's Frostbite 2 engine graphics while confirming this is the announcement teased a couple of weeks ago. The trailer concludes saying the game is due in 2013, and here's a bit on what to expect:

In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It’s up to you to assume their roles, command of their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.

• All-out War – Take control of three unique factions, competing for resources, building up your base of operation, and leading massive batteries of tanks, soldiers, and aircraft into battle.
  • Uncanny Sense of Realism – Frostbite 2 technology allows for visceral, visually stunning conflict at an epic scale. Incredibly detailed units and environments, dynamic physics, and exhilarating visual effects bring the battle to life in ways never before seen. This is the closest thing to real war without the consequences.
  • New Ways to Dominate or Ally with your Friends – Go beyond classic deathmatch with a selection of new multiplayer game modes, designed with both cooperative and competitive play in mind.
  • Thrilling Campaign – Command the war on terror in an electrifying single-player campaign. Experience the dramatic story from multiple perspectives—from heroic General to crazed terrorist—while engaging the enemy in pulse-pounding tactical combat.
  • Ever-evolving Experience – Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 13, 2011, 10:23 Muscular Beaver

Sepharo wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 20:29:
I have to admit that playing the terrorists in Generals was my favorite part of the game. It was definitely a different mindset and strategy than a usual RTS faction has and I really enjoyed that.

It was fun doing a "zerg rush" with expendable units/mobs with molotovs, also upgrading pick up trucks to be fast harassment units, etc.

Now, breathe in... thats it! And out! Ahhh! Again! Oh yes! Feel better?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 13, 2011, 07:23 Dev

Rossafur wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 16:47:
"Ever-evolving Experience – Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever."

Free DLC, I'm sure? Knowing EA? lol.
Knowing EA, if you buy the DLC subscription you will get them for "free". Also if you pay extra for the extreme whatever edition you will get first DLC free.

50. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 20:29 Sepharo

I have to admit that playing the terrorists in Generals was my favorite part of the game. It was definitely a different mindset and strategy than a usual RTS faction has and I really enjoyed that.

It was fun doing a "zerg rush" with expendable units/mobs with molotovs, also upgrading pick up trucks to be fast harassment units, etc.

49. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 12:31 Jerykk

All out War on Terror??? It simply doesnt seem like a lot of fun, not to mention its a little too close to some real-world scenarios. Dont get me wrong I would dig a realistic game that deals with these kinds of scenarios without all the politically correct bullshit, and without the politicking but Im afraid developing a game like that in the C&C universe which has always been more fantasy than reality is next to impossible...

I'm assuming you didn't play Generals? The setting works fine. Every side, including the U.S., was over-the-top. It wasn't supposed to be realistic so I wasn't offended at all. If you're offended by the fact that the GLA are portrayed as crazy terrorists, I'm not sure what to say. The fact that you actually get to play them is great, since practically every other game forces you to play as the U.S.

48. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 10:17 Verno

Hudson wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 08:57:
I couldnt be less excited about a game.

Also this genre is dead

I wouldn't say the genre is dead, Starcraft 2 is alive and well even if it isn't my cup of tea. It's definitely gone more niche though. There have been several disappointments over the years that haven't helped. DoW2 was a huge let down, controlling less than a handful of units and doing the same repetitive missions to grind XP and items isn't strategy. I didn't play the expansions/DLC because the base was such a huge step backward from the first game. The multiplayer side wasn't as bad but the unit caps seemed way too low. The last few C&C games weren't very good either. World in Conflict was good but not great.

Anyway I hope they'll do something decent with this because Generals was a nice in between for serious RTS and people who just want a more laid back experience.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

47. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 09:36 theyarecomingforyou

All out War on Terror??? It simply doesnt seem like a lot of fun, not to mention its a little too close to some real-world scenarios. Dont get me wrong I would dig a realistic game that deals with these kinds of scenarios without all the politically correct bullshit, and without the politicking but Im afraid developing a game like that in the C&C universe which has always been more fantasy than reality is next to impossible...
Yeah, that was one of the reasons I didn't like Generals as much, as it was very US centric and the other sides were complete parodies.

Victory Games Latest EA Studio To Be Renamed 'BioWare'

Shameful what they're doing with Bioware's good name.
I'm sorry but they've been doing it to themselves, what with Dragon Age II. And being tied to EA means we've already seen Origin being bolted onto existing games and more deeply integrated into newer games.

Dades wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 07:31:
Dawn of War 2 was a joke, it was not an RTS game.
That's your opinion, but as you can see from this thread many people appreciated the new take on the genre. And given how pathetic C&C4 was I'd rather see them take some risks that play it safe.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

46. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 09:05 Optional nickname

This is the only game I will buy from EA (still being published by) since ZeroHour. I am happy for this news, as it was the best CNC Game (competitive/co-op multiplayer) ever to dawn the genre. This was the GodFather of Rock-Paper-Scissor speed-battlechess. Good to know someone out there is listening to the fans, and bring the next best thing to the table. I welcome any changes, that teaser looked epic. Nothing could ever be worse than RA3 / CNC 3/4. I hope my RTS motor skills will still be up to par in 2013. FYI, I've played this since Dune2 on the 386. Well, at least we have Diablo3 to hold us over till then.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2011, 09:10.

45. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 08:57 Angrius Maximis

I couldnt be less excited about a game.

Also this genre is dead

44. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 07:51 Ant

http://www.commandandconquer.com/mediastore/CCGenerals2_Screen2.jpg for a screen shot. I hope they don't frak this up like C&C4, RA3, etc.!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

43. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 07:31 Dades

Dawn of War 2 was a joke, it was not an RTS game.  

42. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 06:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Forget the fact that some non-Bioware renamed studio is making a C&C Generals sequel for a second.

Surely it is a sign of the apocalypse that people are:

A) expressing favorable opinions of DoW 2,
B) Think DoW 2 is an RTS that should be emulated in any way in other games.

Woe unto humanity!

41. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 06:41 InBlack

Apart from the regular concerns voiced so far and nearly all C&C games since Generals sucking horribly, I would like to voice one more which people seemed to miss.

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 02:52 Ruffiana

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 16:43:
All studios are now Bioware!

To be perfectly honest, this could be good. It could be terrible. I seem to remember the last few C&C games to be so freaking bad I wish I could burn the memory from my brain.

Victory Games Latest EA Studio To Be Renamed 'BioWare'

Shameful what they're doing with Bioware's good name.

39. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 01:45 Jerykk

LittleMe wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 00:38:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 19:40:
Finally, I'm REALLY underwhelmed by the screenshots / video put out. Just take a look at this one - this is their first reveal to the world and they don't even bother with anti-aliasing?

That screenshot looks great to me. We all know the engine can do AA. I like the non-cartoon, semi-realistic look of that scene. The engine can do destruction, too. From what very little I know so far, it looks good.

I just hope the final game is more vibrant. The teaser trailer looked really washed out and Generals had fairly saturated colors. It's important to remember the game isn't coming out for over a year, so many things will likely change.

38. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 00:38 LittleMe

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 19:40:
Finally, I'm REALLY underwhelmed by the screenshots / video put out. Just take a look at this one - this is their first reveal to the world and they don't even bother with anti-aliasing?

That screenshot looks great to me. We all know the engine can do AA. I like the non-cartoon, semi-realistic look of that scene. The engine can do destruction, too. From what very little I know so far, it looks good.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

37. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 00:14 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:32:
Commandos wasn't really a strategy game. It was more of a squad-based stealth game. It was all about distracting enemies and taking them out by one. Not that that's a bad thing. I loved Commandos 2 and I even enjoyed the Desperados games. But I wouldn't put them in the same genre as C&C or DoW2.

Well DoW2 was kind of an in-between, which I liked. It was an RTS but it had elements of Commandos and even a Dragon Age style game. I liked that mix-up, and it got me to play an RTS which normally I would not do.

I did like C&C when I was younger though, and have a fondness for the series. So if they made it more like DoW2 that would be awesome for me personally.

36. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 00:03 Linksil

When I first read this I thought OMG FPS C&C done right... followup to renegade(did I get that right) would be on the top of my list. Then I remembered Generals was more RTS (I like the red alert world most out of the C&C's)  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

35. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 00:02 Jerykk

Bhruic wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:56:
Secondly, this is a PC-exclusive so consoles are not a factor.

I know a website or two have claimed this, but do you have an official link to that? Because none of the information I've read so far has actually stated (officially) that it's a PC-exclusive.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/bioware-story-invades-command-and-conquer-6347424

34. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 11, 2011, 23:46 Gas Bandit

I hope they do well by it. Generals: Zero Hour was one of my most favorite RTS games, until Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Supreme Commander came around. I loved the balanced flavor of the three factions, the multiple subgeneral styles, and of course the humorous touches on the voice acting for the units.  

33. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 11, 2011, 23:15 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:47:
C&C Tiberium Sun and Commandos had an art style that they just don't do anymore, they were great fun to play and looked great. Little tired of the 3D RTS games.
Yeah, I tend to find 3D RTS games feel graphically busy and just don't work as well. The only 3D strategy games that really work are those with fixed viewpoints that emulate 2D games and have really sharp graphics, like Anno 2070 and DOWII. I hated the style of Sim City 4, Age Of Empires 3 and C&C Generals, all of which I thought were inferior to the 2D versions that had come before them - part of it is because 3D games tend to be much closer to the action, mainly to show off their engine and party to mask performance issues.

I find that I much prefer the graphics of 2D games like Age Of Empires Online or Bastion (not RTS, just the style). And as I pointed out, the screenshot for G2 has no anti-aliasing and is very messy / busy graphically.

PS - For what it's worth, I never liked Warcraft III having played both Warcraft I and II to death (the original game is still my favourite in the series). WIII was much more zoomed in and the angle of the camera was irritating, as it was too shallow.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo