Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic's Fortnite Announced

Epic made their promised reveal of their new IP at the VGAs, taking the covers off Fortnite, a Minecraft-style building and survival game. "We’ve had amazing success with games like Gears of War and Infinity Blade this year, but we decided it was time to switch things up a little bit and do something different and fun," said Epic's Cliff Bleszinski. "Imagine a world where you explore, you scavenge, you build and ultimately you survive." There are early details and a trailer from the game on VG247. No publisher is yet attached to the project, and target platforms were not announced, and while Epic has been on a console bender for the past few years, they've made PC games in the past, so a Windows edition remains possible. Forbes has an article about the news that includes a video of CliffyB where he declares himself a peer to Ice-T and explains more about the project, of which he says: "I can tell you that traditionally we make shooters, and shooting is in there, but it's really not what the game's all about. It's really a game that's more about survival than anything else."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 15, 2011, 06:14 Fantaz

This game is so unoriginal it's sad...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 21:06 Sepharo

I got absolutely no idea as to the concept or the gameplay.

You gather scrap and build a fort to keep out baddies...
Seemed pretty clear to me.

28. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 11:06 theyarecomingforyou

Regardless of originality, I was very unimpressed by the trailer. I got absolutely no idea as to the concept (shopping trolleys, monsters, cartoony graphics?) or the gameplay. The art style looked alright but the way it was executed looked clumsy. As long as the gameplay is strong - and building games often achieve that - then it could be a lot of fun but nothing I've seen so far has me at all interested.

And Epic - while maybe not a one-trick pony - is far from a versatile studio. I mean, Unreal, Unreal: Return To Na Pali, Unreal Tournament, UT2k3, UT2k4, UT3, Unreal Championship, Unreal Championship 2... then Gear Of War 1 (terrible PC port, then console only), GoW2, GoW3. Come on, they really don't have ANY originality. They run every IP dry and only then look for something else. Each time the gameplay becomes more casual and each time they move further and further away from PC development, despite other studios expanding to PC.

So no, I really am not excited.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 07:48 CommunistHamster

Not seeing any minecraft comparisons. A zombie survival game with scavenging is one of the top 5 discussed notional games that hasn't been made yet, along with a new X wing and simialr titles.

Looking forward to this.

26. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 06:42 creatorswhim

Left 4 Minecraft  

25. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 05:33 arnold

hope they reboot QUAKE 1 AND UNREAL 1......  

24. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 03:17 Cutter

Tony!!! wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 19:19:
Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 18:20:
Indeed. Just pathetic. Shows what a one-trick pony they are.
The original Unreal was groundbreaking. And then came Unreal Tournament which many will say stole the Deathmatch crown from Quake. And then came Gears which defined the 3rd person shooter with cover system.

Yeah. Real one trick pony. Where have you been???

Ohh gee, sorry Cliff. Did I hurt your feelings? Shit man, truth hurts, huh?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 02:18 Razumen

This looks like it could actually be fun, it depends on how much Epic pulls back on the whole "Big, bad and beefy soldier" vibe they've been using for so very long. Not sure if they pulled it off after watching the trailer, but maybe.

As for whether it copies Minecraft? Who really care? Just fanboys and crusty people that like to complain. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say, and competition is ALWAYS good - I'm glad a big name developer finally saw the potential in MC's genre. Whether or not Epic is a decent candidate for the job we'll have to see.

And Yes, Minecraft is inspired by Infiniminer and Dungeon Keeper I believe. So technically this is a copy of a copy of a game. lol

22. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 12, 2011, 00:55 HorrorScope

Watched the trailer and yup the first thing that came to mind was Minecraft.

/Sarcasm

21. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 23:57 ASeven

Flatline wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:10:
ASeven wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 18:23:
Innovation in the mainstream gaming industry = copying concepts of other games and not get caught

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to invoke the Convention Rule.

Once your game has it's own convention (in Las Vegas no less), it's no longer an indie game.

Minecraft doesn't qualify as an indie game any more. It's moved beyond that.

Edit: Oops... I apologize to the quoted post. That wasn't the post I meant to quote. I meant to quote one referencing the ripping off of indie game ideas.

FYI, Minecraft still is an indie game. You should do well to read more about indie and what defines an indie game. Money does not come into account, being independent and not having a publisher does.

20. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 23:23 [VG]Reagle

Weird the trailer sucks but i like minecraft....  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

19. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 22:51 netnerd85

Lol... LOL! wow. Another one looses it's way.  

18. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 22:22 Sepharo

Am I the only one that thinks this looks and sounds great..?
Big fan of SourceForts here.

I don't mind the obvious influence from some of the biggest hits out there but I'm not getting the Minecraft vibe from it at all.

17. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 22:10 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 18:23:
Innovation in the mainstream gaming industry = copying concepts of other games and not get caught

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to invoke the Convention Rule.

Once your game has it's own convention (in Las Vegas no less), it's no longer an indie game.

Minecraft doesn't qualify as an indie game any more. It's moved beyond that.

Edit: Oops... I apologize to the quoted post. That wasn't the post I meant to quote. I meant to quote one referencing the ripping off of indie game ideas.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2011, 23:25.

16. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 20:17 Overon

I hope this new game isn't as juvenile as bulletstorm.  

15. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 20:05 Badboyquake

im a quaker but i must say UT is original, and very good also. so who cares, quake and UT are both good games.

no clue what epic is doing now. gears is console and i have non. in europe man have pc´s. and i dislike 3rd person. so gl and hf with this new game, epic. for sure its a risk.

i hope someday there is a place for a new quake and UT.

14. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 19:57 Jerykk

And then came Unreal Tournament which many will say stole the Deathmatch crown from Quake. And then came Gears which defined the 3rd person shooter with cover system.

I don't think anyone would say that UT stole the DM crown from Quake. UT has really always been about team and objective-based modes, like CTF or Onslaught. When it comes to pure deathmatch (dueling especially), Quake is unrivaled.

As for Gears, I don't think popularizing the cover system is something to be proud of. Third-person, cover-based shooters are among the most boring and formulaic shooters out there.

13. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 19:23 Wookiestick

Whether it's copied or not, if they can make it fun I am totally game.  

Love thy wookie.

12. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 19:19 Tony!!!

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 18:20:
Indeed. Just pathetic. Shows what a one-trick pony they are.
The original Unreal was groundbreaking. And then came Unreal Tournament which many will say stole the Deathmatch crown from Quake. And then came Gears which defined the 3rd person shooter with cover system.

Yeah. Real one trick pony. Where have you been???

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

11. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 19:13 Parallax Abstraction

No platforms announced either. $20 this launches on iOS and will only come to other platforms if it does well there first.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo