Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY

Spike TV outlines the winners of their Video Game Awards, which were handed out last night. Their Game of the Year winner is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which prevailed over a field that included Batman: Arkham City, The Legend of Zelda, Skyward Sword, Portal 2, and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 13, 2011, 23:11 CreamyBlood

crypto wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 09:56:
CreamyBlood wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 02:52:

This site has become a haven for console players gushing over mediocre games. I'll join the DX3 camp, if you play on Deus Ex mode, nerf the quest compass and ignore the radar it was okay.

You must be new here and didn't read the thread because this forum constantly reads loathing for console ports to PC. One person says ark city is the best and its followed up with 2 pages of defensive posts that go to the extent of calling ark city a "steaming pile of shit" which is absurd of course. why? because skyrim is a PC dev.

I'm not sure, but I *think* you might have just proved my point. Regardless, you did a good job of confusing me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 13, 2011, 09:56 crypto

CreamyBlood wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 02:52:

This site has become a haven for console players gushing over mediocre games. I'll join the DX3 camp, if you play on Deus Ex mode, nerf the quest compass and ignore the radar it was okay.

You must be new here and didn't read the thread because this forum constantly reads loathing for console ports to PC. One person says ark city is the best and its followed up with 2 pages of defensive posts that go to the extent of calling ark city a "steaming pile of shit" which is absurd of course. why? because skyrim is a PC dev.

42. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 13, 2011, 02:52 CreamyBlood

So this is what it has come to. The year 2011. One of the last bastions of quality PC gaming forums, Blues News, and all I hear about is Spike Awards and console games. RPG's? Amazing. What's the FPS this year? It's very depressing, really.

I just finished Risen, but that was 2009. Not sure what people consider RPG's on this site anymore. It's probably why I don't stop by here too much anymore, everyone has a controller or an xbox. It's a sad day indeed. 2011, my ass.

41. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 13, 2011, 01:29 Jerykk

It's PC features were more fleshed out and it eschewed typical console FPS designs. Skyrim may be game of the year overall but Deus Ex was the best PC title.

DX:HR actually had a completely redesigned UI for the PC version. And it had DX11 features. And it was well-optimized. Sadly, none of those things can be said for Skyrim.

I disagree about DX:HR - I don't feel it deserved any awards this year. They had a chance to make something amazing and fell short. Dev teams shouldn't get rewarded for mediocrity.

Calling DX:HR mediocre is a bit much. The game had more detail than any game I've played in years. From the PDAs to the e-mails to the news tickers to the newspapers, NPC ambient conversations, etc, there was clearly a ton of effort put into developing the backstory and characters. I also loved the choice and consequence in the game. And the fact that you could actually ghost your way through 99% of it.

If you rushed through DX and ignored all the details, I can see how you might consider it mediocre. But if you rush through your games and ignore such things, I don't think you're really qualified to pass judgment on them.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2011, 01:35.

40. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 22:34 Dades

avianflu wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 13:37:
Deus Ex was a 'B' game agreed, but mediocre? That's a bit harsh!

Calling it a 'B' game is too harsh even. Only the trolls are shitting on it which tells you something. Skyrim is a great game but Deus Ex was unquestionably a better PC game. It's PC features were more fleshed out and it eschewed typical console FPS designs. Skyrim may be game of the year overall but Deus Ex was the best PC title.

39. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 18:55 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 13:27:
Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 13:11:
Yes, I agree. DX:HR is incredibly short of amazing. Over-hyped and underwhelming.

I agree that you're short and underwhelming Sunny

Your rebuttal was almost as bad as DX:HR... almost. Angel

38. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 16:30 kanniballl

avianflu wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 13:37:

Compared to the rest of the FPS offerings in the past year, I'd give it an A-.

I enjoyed it, they put actual effort into it, the graphics and sounds were great, and it had some replayability.

Sure, the whole DLC thing was lame and they simplified a few things compared to the original semi-RPG. And yes, it was way over-hyped. And yes, they tried to "be cool" with a few things (Cybernetic RayBans for teh win!). But it was leaps and bounds above DX:2 and I enjoyed it more than any other FPS I played in 2011.

It wasn't perfect, but it was darn good.

In comparison, I'd give Crysis 2 and Section 8 a B- ... just OK

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

37. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 13:37 avianflu

36. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 13:27 Verno

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 13:11:
Yes, I agree. DX:HR is incredibly short of amazing. Over-hyped and underwhelming.

I agree that you're short and underwhelming Sunny

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

35. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 13:20 Ruffiana

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 17:59:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 17:53:
Dirwulf wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 17:46:
Arkham City is better. Skyrim may be huge, but its the same thing over and over and over and over.
Arkham city is a steaming pile of roasted shit next to Skyrim. Considering that it took me 10hrs to beat it, and it took me 137hrs to beat the main quest in skyrim, it's pretty easy which of the two was worth the money.

10 hours? LOL. You obviously did none of the side quests, none of the Riddler puzzles, none of the trophies, none of the challenges. You probably played it on easy as well. You didn't even play the game, you rushed through the quest line and then pronounced your incorrect, lame judgement.

I'm amused that you blasted Skyrim for being the same thing over and over and over, but then tout Arkham City's trophies and challenges as part of the real content.

34. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 13:13 Beamer

DX:HR is my favorite PC game this year, far and away. I haven't played Portal 2 or Skyrim yet, but the latter will be for the 360 for me.

It wasn't the best thing ever, but it was a thrilling action game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 13:11 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 08:51:
I disagree about DX:HR - I don't feel it deserved any awards this year. They had a chance to make something amazing and fell short. Dev teams shouldn't get rewarded for mediocrity.

Short of amazing isn't mediocre. The games sales and reception from both the press and users disagrees with your assessment.

32. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 08:51 Verno

Short of amazing isn't mediocre. The games sales and reception from both the press and users disagrees with your assessment.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

31. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 08:23 Luke

All pc games have been console port so no reward from here
skyrim a game you buy for pc and then have to make a pc game after buying it , no way that shit can make it imo

30. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 08:10 Fibrocyte

Jivaro wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 00:00:
MrBone wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 21:02:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 20:39:
It was the best game made this year.

That doesn't make award shows in general anymore legitimate though. Most of the time its all about the marketing, release dates, names involved, and the money....with every award show.

You mean they are trying to make money by entertaining you??!! Sickening insight dude. Skyrim was easily the best game.

Either you completely misread my post or you are really dense. Take your pick.

Ehhh... his two options sort of go hand-in-hand.

To your point about award shows: I agree.

29. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 08:07 Fibrocyte

Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:02:
Disappointed that DX:HR didn't win anything. It should have at least won PC game of the year. I would have given it Soundtrack of the Year as well. Then again, these awards are essentially a measure of hype and marketing, so it's not surprising that the games with the most hype and marketing won all the awards.

As for Arkham City being repetitious compared to Skyrim, I'm not really sure how you came to that conclusion. Most of the side quests in Skyrim consist of "go to random dungeon and kill random dude." Conversely, the side quests in AC were generally unique and had a lot more backstory. Even the Riddler collectables presented unique challenges in order to attain them. No two puzzles were the same. Both Skyrim and AC are good games but to claim that AC is repetitious while Skyrim isn't is pretty strange.

Neither trophies or challenges have any point to me beyond ego stroking. Riddler puzzles were boring, and the side quests got tedious.

The Riddler challenges weren't superficial rewards like Achievements or Trophies. Completing them unlocked concept art, character trophies, character profiles, backstories and interview recordings. Most of those things helped flesh out the story and characters. If you don't care about that stuff, that's fine, but to claim that they only served to stroke the player's ego is pretty dumb.

Also no RTS category? I know RTS has kind of been underrepresented lately, but there were some releases this year deserving of some recognition.

The VGA is a mainstream show. Strategy games are not mainstream enough to appear on it. I'm surprised Generals 2 was even revealed on it, as about 99% of the audience probably hadn't even heard of Generals 1 or played any of the C&C games. Hell, the game is PC-exclusive too. The only PC-exclusive nomination for any award was Minecraft. Witcher 2 should have at least been nominated for Best RPG, Best Graphics and Best PC Game. But again, it's all about hype and marketing.

Skyrim was really great for the first 30 hours or so. Now it feels a little sale and I haven't beat it yet. I *do* plan to jump on the main quest line and see it through. It is impressive how much content there actually it as well. As for GOTY - sure, why not?

28. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 07:36 Dades

peteham wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 03:30:
The only PC-exclusive nomination for any award was Minecraft. Witcher 2 should have at least been nominated for Best RPG, Best Graphics and Best PC Game. But again, it's all about hype and marketing.
And instead of Witcher 2 even getting nominated, they had Dragon Age 2 in the top5. Uh, yeah... Those two games weren't even in the same league.

It's a show for stupid people and Dragon Age 2 was a game for stupid people. Seems like a fitting pair to me.

27. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 07:24 Bhruic

That people are here taking the "Spike TV" VGAs seriously is pretty sad in its own right, regardless of who "won".  

26. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 03:30 peteham

The only PC-exclusive nomination for any award was Minecraft. Witcher 2 should have at least been nominated for Best RPG, Best Graphics and Best PC Game. But again, it's all about hype and marketing.
And instead of Witcher 2 even getting nominated, they had Dragon Age 2 in the top5. Uh, yeah... Those two games weren't even in the same league.

25. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 01:42 meezookeewee

Personally, I'd have to say that Skyrim's my personal Game of the Year. I haven't played a game that's pulled me into it's world like this since Mass Effect. I haven't had this much fun just exploring since....ever, actually.  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo