Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Doom The Way id Did

The ZDoom Forums offer the release of Doom The Way id Did, explained like so: "For those who haven't heard of it, Doom The Way id Did (or DTWiD for short) is a 3-episode tribute to our beloved DOOM.WAD, designed not as a homage-spree but as an answer to the question "What would it look like if id had decided to create a 10th map for each episode?" The end result is a full set of maps that's meant to look, feel, and play like they came from the hands of Romero, Petersen, and Hall, and we hope that they send a chill of nostalgia down your spine." Thanks Ant.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 15, 2011, 10:18 Shadowcat

What 10-20 year old game WASN'T linear?
Non-linearity was much more affordable when audio-visual budgets weren't running to the multiple-millions of dollars. I think you'll find that the list you asked for will be a large one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 12, 2011, 15:53 kanniballl

Ant wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 07:42:
Ditto. Old games are cooler for me. Frak these linear plays, DRM, paying for DLCs, too many bugs, etc. Now, get off my lawn!

Agree with most of that (including the lawn bit)...

But linear plays? What 10-20 year old game WASN'T linear? Other than the grand-theft autos, Diablos, and maybe the various RPGs?

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 12, 2011, 15:41 kanniballl

Badboyquake wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 20:09:
i know nobody cares about the old doom. but i tell you all, old games are much better than new ones.

thanks for this news!

In many ways, I have to agree... at least while I have my rose-colored glasses on.

15-20 years ago, it was all about the gameplay and fun. Certain concepts, and even entire genres, we relatively new. So things were both fun and innovative. There weren't photorealistic weapons / plasma bursts / 3D-rendered bossoms to grab our focus... the GAME had to grab our focus.

Today, too many (but not all) games are just eye-candy with a change here or there. Yet another Cod/ModernWarfare version, yet another WWII FPS, yet another "I wear hi-tech battle armor" FPS, etc.

There are still some great games, but with the sheer number out there it's like finding a clean needle in a stack of slightly dirty needles; good luck with that.

It's only of the reason why I've been trying to give platformers and such a try. FPS is just too generic or derivative now-a-days, but you can find truly interesting platformers out there if you look.

Portal was fun because it was a neat puzzle mechanic wrapped in a FPS. The Batman Arkham games were fun because of the fight mechanics and the time spent in design / implementation. But too many times a game is just a re-skin of triple-A title X. We're about 20 years later and we're still play FPS games relying on jump-scares or alternating between FPS games set in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan.

My top 5 games ever are:
- Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
- Super Mario World (SNES)
- Bump n' Jump (from Intellivision)
- Tie Fighter
- Doom

After that (in no particular order)
- Deus Ex
- Half Life
- Half Life 2
- Starcraft
- Quake 3 Arena (fun in college)
- Portal (the end-credits sealed the deal)
- XWing Alliance
etc

Not a whole lot here from the last decade.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2011, 15:51.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 12, 2011, 13:19 Badboyquake

nice, doom and quaker players here  

5. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 12, 2011, 07:42 Ant

i know nobody cares about the old doom. but i tell you all, old games are much better than new ones.

thanks for this news!

Ditto. Old games are cooler for me. Frak these linear plays, DRM, paying for DLCs, too many bugs, etc. Now, get off my lawn!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

4. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 12, 2011, 07:41 Ant

I prefer Doomsday (still being developed -- yay) for its graphics. I can't stand sprites, even with antialias/smoothings anymore!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

3. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 11, 2011, 22:26 Fletch

I still play Doom and Doom2 with either ZDoom or Vavoom. I still have a blast.  

2. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 11, 2011, 20:13 Shineyguy

thanks for this news!

I still play ZDaemon from time to time to this day.

Most fun to be had quickly IMO.

1. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 11, 2011, 20:09 Badboyquake

thanks for this news!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo