Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New STO Intro Trailer

The Star Trek Online Videos Section now offers a new cinematic opening for Star Trek Online, paving away for the upcoming free-to-play relaunch of the Trekkie MMORPG. Thanks The RPG Reporter.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 16:25 Ant

Did anyone like Enterprise's simple space combat parts in 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rights adventure games? I enjoyed it on my 286 as a teenager.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 16:19 theyarecomingforyou

I played the beta a while back and felt hugely disappointed, as the media and narratives they were putting out were very impressive and faithful to the franchise. I'll definitely give it a go when it goes F2P.

As for combat in Star Trek, in my mind some of the best episodes in the entire franchise were in DS9 when they were battling the dominion or in TNG First Contact when they battled the borg. I absolutely agree that diplomacy is absolutely critical as well, as TNG amply demonstrated. There no harm in leaning slightly more towards combat, though I can't say I was impressed with the overall direction.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 14:55 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 23:59:
Still too combat centric. This is what caused it to fail in the first place. I'll admit that whilst some of the newer episodic style quests were much better the overall design of the game is too limited. They should have made exploration, diplomacy, science, etc. the priority from the start. Combat is such a minor part of Star Trek.

True, however some of the best Star Trek episodes are combat centric. From the Original Series "Balance of Terror' (which was based on the movie "The Enemy Below" where the commanders of each side gain respect for their opponent's enginuity), and "Doomsday Machine", come to mind.

That said... what turned me off to STO was the 3rd Person Ship Combat... if "everyone is a Captain"... they should have made it more like Bridge Commander, and have the space combat more like a "Bridge Simulation", rather than an arcade shooter.

Oh well... a definite missed opportunity, IMO.

13. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 14:48 FloorPie

Hudson wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 13:34:
Yes. It certainly resulted in the demise of LotRO.

Oh, wait. No it didn't.

Yeah because soooo many people are playing that game right?

Oh wait...no they aren't...

I am! Oh wait, no I'm not. Sorry.

12. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 13:34 Angrius Maximis

Oh, wait. No it didn't.

Yeah because soooo many people are playing that game right?

Oh wait...no they aren't...

11. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 10:05 Silicon Avatar

I'll play STO again when it goes F2P.

It wasn't really the Star Trek game I wanted, but it was still pretty fun for what it was.

I mean, I liked it okay. I just didn't think it was worth a monthly fee.

10. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 09:28 Steelcamp

Looks like ill be trekking again soon... thanks to F2P!!  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

9. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 09:06 JAGUART

Doma wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 08:41:
Sigh..... Imagine what they could have done with the Trek license!

They could have created an EvE like singleshard megauniverse star-trek jizzfest. Imagine the awesomeness of a game like EVE with the trek universe.

That's usually true of a lot of really good games. They'd be even more spectacular if they were based on a popular licensed property.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

8. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 08:41 Doma

Sigh..... Imagine what they could have done with the Trek license!

They could have created an EvE like singleshard megauniverse star-trek jizzfest. Imagine the awesomeness of a game like EVE with the trek universe.

Instead... this.

7. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 06:30 Ant

Kedyn wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 05:49:
I've really been wanting to give STO another shot. Are there any missions in the game that are considered "can't miss" by those who have been playing since release?
Or since beta for me.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

6. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 05:49 Kedyn

I've really been wanting to give STO another shot. Are there any missions in the game that are considered "can't miss" by those who have been playing since release?  

5. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 10, 2011, 23:59 Zarkonis

Blackhawk wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 22:52:
Overon wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 21:36:
When MMO's go from pay play to free to play aka pay to win, it's a bad sign. It's the slide to eventual oblivion.

Oh, wait. No it didn't.
Or Anarchy Online, for that matter.

Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

4. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 10, 2011, 23:59 Cutter

Still too combat centric. This is what caused it to fail in the first place. I'll admit that whilst some of the newer episodic style quests were much better the overall design of the game is too limited. They should have made exploration, diplomacy, science, etc. the priority from the start. Combat is such a minor part of Star Trek.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 10, 2011, 22:52 Blackhawk

Overon wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 21:36:
When MMO's go from pay play to free to play aka pay to win, it's a bad sign. It's the slide to eventual oblivion.

Oh, wait. No it didn't.

2. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 10, 2011, 21:36 Overon

1. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 10, 2011, 20:11 Ant

What was the original like? I forgot or never saw it. Nice voice in this one.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo