Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unused System Shock Items Detailed

System Shock - The Cutting Room Floor offers a look at the items that never quite made it into the original System Shock, noting Origin's action/RPG "has a wide variety of unused, unfinished, or dummied-out items, textures, and enemies, as well as text, audio logs, and other miscellaneous graphics." Thanks Ant via the ttlg forums, where the site's creator explains that this is not 100% complete yet, but: "Seeing some of the unused object names in the string resources piqued my interest, so I started playing with various editing tools to see what I could find within the resource files."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Another World/Out of This World Postmortem Dec 11, 2011, 13:40 Ant

beigemore wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 13:33:
The original creator of Another World ("Out of This World" in the US) remade it a few years ago for PC with high def background art. You can buy it on eBay for pretty cheap. It looks great.
Also, check out GDC 2011's postmortem video: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014630/Classic-Game-Postmortem-OUT-OF ...

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 11, 2011, 13:33 beigemore

The original creator of Another World ("Out of This World" in the US) remade it a few years ago for PC with high def background art. You can buy it on eBay for pretty cheap. It looks great.  

10. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 11, 2011, 01:12 Silicon Avatar

Ratty wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 14:26:
The original System Shock, Fallout, Ultima - those were games I really regret not ever having played in their time.

Fallout and Ultima were good stuff. I missed System Shock though.

I might try a play-through of Wasteland someday.

Planet's Edge was pretty good for what it attempted. The Might and Magic games (the RPGs that are no longer made) were good too. I still sort of miss New World Computing and Looking Glass.

Ultima Underworld was way, way ahead of its time.

9. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 23:00 Acleacius

El Pit wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 14:05:
Ultimate Mod: System Shock with all the additional stuff remade in the Doom-3-Engine. Just do it!
Makes me cringe at the idea they would use doom3 engine but I guess it's better than nothing. Uneasy

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 21:08 Ant

Alamar wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 14:58:
The original System Shock, Fallout, Ultima - those were games I really regret not ever having played in their time.

Populous, Magic Carpet, Day of the Tentacle, Kyrandia series, Syndicate... I could go on, if my memory was better heh...

I didn't care much for Fallout or Ultima back then (or now), but I was around : ) X-Com should be on that list too... (both lists for me, around, but uninterested).

Ahhh nastalgia... Good times... I can't even imagine not being a gamer; I started with an Odyssey 2, around age 4-5, and an Atari 2600 not long after... Pitfall, etc... Good times ; )

-Alamar

-Alamar
Good games. I miss those old games. I started out on an Atari 2600. I don't know. The newer ones aren't that great to me. Maybe I am just old (over 35), but then I have no free time (just play simple short creative/interesting free Flash games once in a while these days).

I couldn't get into SS1, but loved SS2! Put SS2 on a good game engine with co-op. again. Wait, let's have SS3 (a good sequel).

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2011, 21:15.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 17:49 Bumpy

With the new mouse look feature, SS1 plays and controls awesome. I've attempted to finish SS1 several times now but appears I'm dumbed down. There are no obvious objectives and I have no clue what I'm suppose to do next. The Logs and recordings are very vague.

I keep wandering around hoping I come across what I'm to do next. Plus the Cyberspace I'm currently at I can't figure out, I see where I need to get to but there is no possible path to get there. Arg.

The level complexity and different areas are incredible. I feel all the Call of Duty levels combined could fit into 1 SS1 level.

6. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 16:44 Alamar

Hudson wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 16:17:
Ahh yes, good times indeed. Use to rocked the Atari 800XL with a tape deck (which later was customized for turbo loading, lol I know) than had a brief moment with Commodore Amiga and moved onto x286 with a Hercules gfx card which later became Pentium 1

Also worth mentioning:

Another World, Moonstone, Police Quest, Space Quest, Future Wars, Dragon Lair, Duck Tales, X-Com Series (def were ahead of their time) and the list could go on and on =)

Another World was neat... And I forgot about the quests... Started with King's Quest I, and loved Sierra at the time, even sending them fan snail mail... Had a few KQ's, Space Quest III, Manhunter I/II, and the entire Quest for Glory series (when it started as Hero's Quest). Really liked that they added RPG to the adventure games formula they used...

Lots of fond memories, and lots of games to look forward to... A good time to be alive : )

-Alamar

5. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 16:17 Wash Washburne

Ahh yes, good times indeed. Use to rocked the Atari 800XL with a tape deck (which later was customized for turbo loading, lol I know) than had a brief moment with Commodore Amiga and moved onto x286 with a Hercules gfx card which later became Pentium 1

Also worth mentioning:

Another World, Moonstone, Police Quest, Space Quest, Future Wars, Dragon Lair, Duck Tales, X-Com Series (def were ahead of their time) and the list could go on and on =)

4. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 14:58 Alamar

Populous, Magic Carpet, Day of the Tentacle, Kyrandia series, Syndicate... I could go on, if my memory was better heh...

I didn't care much for Fallout or Ultima back then (or now), but I was around : ) X-Com should be on that list too... (both lists for me, around, but uninterested).

Ahhh nastalgia... Good times... I can't even imagine not being a gamer; I started with an Odyssey 2, around age 4-5, and an Atari 2600 not long after... Pitfall, etc... Good times ; )

-Alamar

-Alamar

3. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 14:26 Ratty

2. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 14:21 Alamar

El Pit wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 14:05:
Ultimate Mod: System Shock with all the additional stuff remade in the Doom-3-Engine. Just do it!

I would like to see that, but I recently played back through both SS's...

And they're dated (expectedly)... It's not nearly as scary/spooky when the enemies are more comical than scary because of how much graphics have improved...

However, I'm sure the many will agree that the audio is a big part of what made the second so freaky, and that doesn't really get old : )

-Alamar

1. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 14:05 El Pit

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo