Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GSC Game World Closing?

Ukranews has a story (in Russian) reporting GSC Game World is closing down, saying founder and CEO Sergei Grigorovich attributed this to personal reasons, which are not disclosed. Word is employees will be paid through February. NeoGAF has a story on this that seems to handle the article better than our machine translation, saying it mentions unconfirmed speculation that Grigorovich was not happy with progress on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, and that there was danger that Ukrainian law enforcement would seize the company and its assets. There's also a post on The Ascian Gaming Blog with some leaked screenshots and concept art from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, the planned first-person shooter sequel with a now-cloudy future. They also have a link to a tweet they say confirms GDC's closure (it translates to "GSC Closed"), though Dmitri Bourkovski, who tweeted that, subsequently clarifies: "To everyone reading this because of #GSC & #stalker2 news - I have no connection to GSC and I'm not Sergei Grigorovich (CEO of GSC). Cheers!" Thanks Joao.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 10, 2011, 04:33 bfg9000

I am absolutely disappoint.
Screw it I am still enjoying replaying the original. Doing a AMK + Arsenal run through, and then the expected supermod Misery should be released. So much to do.
One of my fave games in the last decade, deal with it or get out of here...
hilarious community too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQY130ATxMA

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 10, 2011, 02:18 qsto

EricFate wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 00:36:
Gaming company in unstable country releases broken niche product which fanbase eventualy fixes for free, closes after promising the moon yet only releasing rubber stamped versions of said same product until programmers quit and form different company. Film at 11!
For a second there I thought you were talking about Bethesda...

34. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 10, 2011, 00:36 EricFate

Gaming company in unstable country releases broken niche product which fanbase eventualy fixes for free, closes after promising the moon yet only releasing rubber stamped versions of said same product until programmers quit and form different company. Film at 11!  

33. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 21:31 Razumen

Halo wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 14:18:
Okay is anybody else wondering why they were in danger of law enforcement seizing the company and assets?

Corruption, it's a big problem in Ukraine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Ukraine

32. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 20:11 Acleacius

It took them about 7 years to get the first game out. THQ the publisher had to come in and takeover the development because GSC couldn't complete the game.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

31. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 20:06 KilgoreTrout

Parts of SoC were the best moments I've experienced in gaming. Delving into sealed-off bunkers or suddenly encountering snorks in the middle of the night with only a few bullets left was... An experience.

At the same time I feel that the series could have been so much more after two sequels. In CoP it felt a bit like they were going on rails, and the voice acting was getting on my nerves. "Spill the beans", anyone? It was good, but not great, and the game engine peculiarities started to seep through the cracks and kill the atmosphere somewhat.

I sure hope someone carries on this tradition of intelligent fps gaming, which is a rarity.

30. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 19:34 Bumpy

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 12:15:
At least they died before ruining the franchise with simplified console games.

QFT. As much as I REALLY wanted another STALKER, my gut told me the next one would of been a complete console abortion mess.

Bought and LOVED all the STALKERS.

RIP, the extremely unique atmosphere and raw design will truly be missed.

29. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 18:54 Prez

For all of its faults and quirks, the STALKER series had some of the best atmosphere of any game out there. They are absolutely wonderfully immersive open-world games. I sincerely hope we haven't seen the end of STALKER.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 18:44 ochentay4

dumpy wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 18:01:
The rights to the Stalker series may be sold, so the series may yet be saved. I'd imagine the franchise is something that Ukrainian studios are quite proud of, so they'd like to keep it local. Pray it's not EA or Activision that claim it.
As I see, the "rights" of a franchise means squat if the developer is the "gem" of the franchise. No GSC, no STALKER game.

27. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 18:27 Dmitri_M

dumpy wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 18:01:
Pray it's not EA or Activision that claim it.

Don't worry it'll be some random euro publisher who will pay a couple of modders to hack something up as a cheap cash in

26. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 18:14 Rattlehead

I hope they sell the technology behind the gun physics and AI. STALKER had some of the best open world AI I've ever seen.  

25. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 18:01 dumpy

The rights to the Stalker series may be sold, so the series may yet be saved. I'd imagine the franchise is something that Ukrainian studios are quite proud of, so they'd like to keep it local. Pray it's not EA or Activision that claim it.  

24. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 16:23 jacobvandy

There's a guy from 1C Company (the publisher) in Ukraine saying that it's confirmed, but Rock, Paper, Shotgun asked GSC for confirmation and received a "no comment."  

23. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 15:50 pagb

My reaction...
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpN3_cEL2W8[/url]

22. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 15:35 SXO

A sad day for PC gaming indeed, and there will never be any substitutes to this franchise.  

21. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 15:26 Cutter

MajorD wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 13:28:
Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 12:15:
Yeah I hope not. Love the STALKER games!

I love the STALKER games AND English Muffin Pizzas while I am playing the STALKER games. Grin

Haha!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 14:37 theyarecomingforyou

Dmitri_M wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 13:17:
This is worse for PC gaming than if ID closed.
After the abortion of a game that was RAGE I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would miss them, despite their contribution to the industry.

Halo wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 14:18:
Okay is anybody else wondering why they were in danger of law enforcement seizing the company and assets?
Not really. You don't shut down a studio that is doing well, not with all the business obligations that go with funding new titles. If STALKER 2 was progressing badly then it's likely the investor(s) pulled out, putting them out of business.

Don't forget, the original STALKER was years behind schedule and under delivered for the mainstream (though it successfully carved a niche in the hardcore crowd and I highly rate it), as well as being tied to another publisher (notice how they have never bundled all three games together) - I'm not sure they would have made much, if any, money off it. Clear Sky was plagued by launch issues, while CoP didn't innovate enough to attract a new audience; both games were also heavily discounted regularly on Steam.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 14:29 space captain

stalkers dont die, they multiply  
Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 14:18 Halo

17. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 13:31 qsto

R.I.P. PC gaming
https://twitter.com/#!/joewillburn/status/145189538006966272

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo