Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website announced preloads are now underway for those who have preordered BioWare's upcoming MMORPG. The post also says early access to the game will begin next week: "Starting December 13, 2011, The Old Republic will begin emailing invitations to start your Early Game Access. Invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox!" Thanks nin.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 17:26 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 13:55:
As a very specific example, added as a spoiler, even with pretty generic info/wording, when you finish the second world (the first being the 'tutorial area'), you're given a choice of 2 worlds to continue on... As a story driven progression style, this is harder, but at this point, it's more like, go find pieces A and B of the blah-blah, so it matters not which you get first...

So really, it's an argument disputing what you said, but also supporting it... You can choose A, then B, or B, then A, but it's the same thing essentially...

However, it's up to the individual player whether this is good or bad... For over a decade, massive players have complained that massives don't have enough story, don't have enough 'effect on the world', etc... SW 'solves' one with a butt load of story, and GW2 'solves' the other, with Dynamic Events...

-Alamar

I suppose if you've decided that you have to do the story quests, then you have to follow that, but my experience showed me a great deal of side-quests and whatnot. I'm fairly certain I could have leveled up without touching the main story quests once I got my ship, if I so chose. That said, I only got to the mid 20's so there may be some point where it forces you to do the story quests to unlock something further, but I hadn't found anything like that by level 25ish.

That's more or less the sacrifice you have to make. You can play open world and do what you want, but if you want a story to go with it, you need some form of structure. That said, I chose to go to neither location A or location B in said storyline, choosing an entirely different random planet and got my ass handed to me in the process. From what I've seen there's a little bit of overlap in level ranges for planets, but not much so unless you're tooling around with friends, you're probably right in that you don't have that many different choices of where you -should- be to level up.

That's not that different from most MMO's, though. WoW had a few at the lower levels and your options thinned out to a straight line as soon as you got to a certain level.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 13:55 Alamar

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 10:51:
Teddy wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 07:37:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 02:08:

After playing the beta and reading the forum I've realized that this MMO is anything but even remotely like WoW. This is a "themepark" MMO: Your hand is held throughout the game, in this way it's absolutely useless to return to old areas and the exploration factor is hardly in there. It is true that WoW had this too, but it was heavily disguised due to the fact the game was OPEN WORLD.

I loved the beta but since I didn't wanna spoil too much for myself I played almost every class up unil the end of their starting planet. I am doubtful.

Then you missed a good bit of the freedom allowed in the game. After the newbie area (which includes the planet after the starting planet) you're free to go where you will. The game certainly didn't hold my hand when I walked into an area 6 levels above me on a random planet I chose and the enemies decimated me while I barely scratched them.

I didn't mean to imply that you won't be able to stray into a too high-level area. I meant -- and this is based on what I've read on the forum which many people agreed upon, so I can't call it a fact -- that one quest leads you to the next and eventually the quests tell you to advance to the a next area without there being the option to choose between multiple equal level areas like in WoW.

I admit that this has been contradicted by other comments, but I was stunned by the amount of members agreeing in dismay with the first.

As a very specific example, added as a spoiler, even with pretty generic info/wording, when you finish the second world (the first being the 'tutorial area'), you're given a choice of 2 worlds to continue on... As a story driven progression style, this is harder, but at this point, it's more like, go find pieces A and B of the blah-blah, so it matters not which you get first...

So really, it's an argument disputing what you said, but also supporting it... You can choose A, then B, or B, then A, but it's the same thing essentially...

However, it's up to the individual player whether this is good or bad... For over a decade, massive players have complained that massives don't have enough story, don't have enough 'effect on the world', etc... SW 'solves' one with a butt load of story, and GW2 'solves' the other, with Dynamic Events...

-Alamar

22. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 10:51 Eldaron Imotholin

Teddy wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 07:37:

After playing the beta and reading the forum I've realized that this MMO is anything but even remotely like WoW. This is a "themepark" MMO: Your hand is held throughout the game, in this way it's absolutely useless to return to old areas and the exploration factor is hardly in there. It is true that WoW had this too, but it was heavily disguised due to the fact the game was OPEN WORLD.

I loved the beta but since I didn't wanna spoil too much for myself I played almost every class up unil the end of their starting planet. I am doubtful.

Then you missed a good bit of the freedom allowed in the game. After the newbie area (which includes the planet after the starting planet) you're free to go where you will. The game certainly didn't hold my hand when I walked into an area 6 levels above me on a random planet I chose and the enemies decimated me while I barely scratched them.

I didn't mean to imply that you won't be able to stray into a too high-level area. I meant -- and this is based on what I've read on the forum which many people agreed upon, so I can't call it a fact -- that one quest leads you to the next and eventually the quests tell you to advance to the a next area without there being the option to choose between multiple equal level areas like in WoW.

I admit that this has been contradicted by other comments, but I was stunned by the amount of members agreeing in dismay with the first.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

21. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 09:23 Verno

I would call it a cooperative KOTOR with a subscription.

I'm a huge fan of the old KOTOR games but this doesn't really play like one. People are inevitably going to compare it to World of Warcraft and I think that's a fair comparison in some ways. They share a lot of the same elements in terms of camera angle, combat style and user interface. It really doesn't do much to set it apart from your average MMORPG title.

I do however agree that it plays a bit like Guild Wars, it has a lot of instanced/phased content going on. My time in the beta weekends was somewhat fun but I just didn't see anything there that made me want to go out and buy this game after years of other MMORPG games. I think I'm just done with those games in general unless they start trying to reinvent the (hamster) wheel.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

20. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 08:45 Undocumented Alien

After playing the beta and reading the forum I've realized that this MMO is anything but even remotely like WoW. This is a "themepark" MMO: Your hand is held throughout the game, in this way it's absolutely useless to return to old areas and the exploration factor is hardly in there. It is true that WoW had this too, but it was heavily disguised due to the fact the game was OPEN WORLD

From my beta experience, TOR feels more like Guild Wars (PvE part) than a traditional MMO (UO/EQ/DAoC/WOW, etc). I would call it a cooperative KOTOR with a subscription. I'll be playing it, will probably do a light and a dark side story and then move on to Guild Wars 2. Then, when Bioware adds more content, go back to TOR for a bit.

19. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 07:37 Teddy

18. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 05:28 Jonny

ASeven wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:01:
So, with this game being better than most thought it was, will this be the MMORPG to challenge WoW or is the game too flawed?

I got up to around 16 in the stress test a couple of weeks ago and surprisingly it didn't remind me of WoW at all. I don't know what the endgame might be like, but up till then it was a pure Bioware singleplayer RPG with other folk running around.

Whether that can translate well into MMO repeatability I don't know, but I got all four Empire classes off Dromund Kaas without becoming utterly sick of the quests so there's a good chance it'll be fun rolling alts at least.

17. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 02:08 Eldaron Imotholin

Dades wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:28:
So, with this game being better than most thought it was, will this be the MMORPG to challenge WoW or is the game too flawed?

It's an MMO like most before it. Great at launch, staggered midgame and probably an awful endgame assuming it has much of one at all. The game plays like WoW with a Star Wars skin, if you really like Star Wars then you might like it but I didn't really enjoy much beyond the starter area quests. By that time the nuance of voiced content and quest choices wears off leaving you with an MMO that takes no risks and has no ambition.

These launches have a honeymoon period of about 30-60 days before people flame out on them, I don't see why this will be any different. It's not bad, it's just nothing new and the formula itself is probably getting fairly stale now. The devs played it up as a KOTOR game but that's really misleading based on my beta time, don't go into it expecting anything other than the usual MMO experience.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

16. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 01:55 Longswd

I wish I had taken a screen shot, but no, it was specially broken down like this -

$55 SWTOR Digital Standard Edition
+
$5 SWTOR early access charge (provides 5 days early access)

I remember being somewhat surprised they had specially shown it as granting 5 days of early access. That's what the check out screen showed on the 5th anyway, even though the receipt doesn't show it as guaranteeing 5 days, the check out screen most certainly did.

ORDER SUMMARY
Product SKU: 71074
Product Name: STAR WARS(TM): The Old Republic(TM) Digital Standard Edition (Pre-Ordered)
Estimated Release Date: Targeting Holiday 2011
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $54.99

Product SKU: 71065
Product Name: Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order Fee
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $5.00
Serial Number: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

SubTotal: $59.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Tax: $0.00
Total: $59.99
Discount: $5.00

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

15. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 01:40 entr0py

Longswd wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 00:48:
Teddy wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:47:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:27:
No, the Access emails go OUT on the 13th, Early start is UP TO 5 days (so the 15th). Thankfully my 10 meg service gets installed tomorrow, so I don't have to spend a week downloading it

Incorrect.

Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST.

Directly from the email prompting me to preload.

Actually, the Half Elf is correct.

Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST. During this time, we will be emailing invitations to join Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code.

This means they will begin sending out the mails beginning the 13th, staggered over several days, allowing you in. What day/time you get that mail will depend on when you registered your pre-order.

Presumably you will get it by the 15th, as the early access charge of $5 when purchasing from the Origin store specifically states that it's for 5 days of early access. If they don't deliver on that they would have to issue refunds on a pro-rated basis which would be a real pain in the ass I'm sure they don't want to have to do.

It's my understanding that, while they at one point said early access would start 5 days before launch, that was just now extended to 7 (thus the news story). But no one is guaranteed 7 or even 5 days; people will be let in gradually based on how early they registered their preroder. You may only get in a day early if you preordered recently.

So, the Origin website is outdated (assuming it still says 5). Also, there's no early access charge, you have to put $5 down on Origin to keep your preorder, but that can be refunded any time before launch, and it is applied to the cost of the game. It's exactly like preordering from Gamestop in that way. And much more reasonable than Steam, which requires a 100% payment upfront to reserve preorders. I think some people misunderstood the terms, and confused the sales tax, which is likely around $5 depending on your state, with something charged by EA. At retailers like Amazon and Steam you don't usually have to pay sales tax because they have offices in only one state.

14. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 01:38 Drayth

Longswd wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 00:48:
No, the Access emails go OUT on the 13th, Early start is UP TO 5 days (so the 15th). Thankfully my 10 meg service gets installed tomorrow, so I don't have to spend a week downloading it

Incorrect.

Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST.

Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST. During this time, we will be emailing invitations to join Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code.

This means they will begin sending out the mails beginning the 13th, staggered over several days, allowing you in. What day/time you get that mail will depend on when you registered your pre-order.

Presumably you will get it by the 15th, as the early access charge of $5 when purchasing from the Origin store specifically states that it's for 5 days of early access. If they don't deliver on that they would have to issue refunds on a pro-rated basis which would be a real pain in the ass I'm sure they don't want to have to do.

Actually you're incorrect about the Half-Elf being incorrectly corrected, he's incorrect.. at the bottom of the page linked in this article...

"Early Game Access may be up to 7 days."

Hence, the 13'th.

13. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 00:48 Longswd

Incorrect.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

12. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:30 nin

Alamar wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:17:
So where will the Blues News guilds/servers be? : ) Plural because not everyone will want to play the same faction.

I'm already coordinating with a few people at work, a few online friends, and potentially some more ; )

Personally, Empire, Sith Inq (Sorc for me, Ass for the wife).

Edit: Already done downloading, and the folder states '18.4 GB (19,856,643,301 bytes)'.

-Alamar

I've been using Canderous Ordo during the beta, but have no idea if the same server names will be in the retail.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:28 Dades

It's an MMO like most before it. Great at launch, staggered midgame and probably an awful endgame assuming it has much of one at all. The game plays like WoW with a Star Wars skin, if you really like Star Wars then you might like it but I didn't really enjoy much beyond the starter area quests. By that time the nuance of voiced content and quest choices wears off leaving you with an MMO that takes no risks and has no ambition.

These launches have a honeymoon period of about 30-60 days before people flame out on them, I don't see why this will be any different. It's not bad, it's just nothing new and the formula itself is probably getting fairly stale now. The devs played it up as a KOTOR game but that's really misleading based on my beta time, don't go into it expecting anything other than the usual MMO experience.

10. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:19 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:17:
So where will the Blues News guilds/servers be? : ) Plural because not everyone will want to play the same faction.

I'm already coordinating with a few people at work, a few online friends, and potentially some more ; )

-Alamar

I don't know if it will hold to the same thing as in the beta, but in the beta you could have characters from both factions on the same server.

9. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:17 Alamar

Edit: Already done downloading, and the folder states '18.4 GB (19,856,643,301 bytes)'.

-Alamar

8. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:13 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:11:
Fion wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:06:
Early access begins in six days. They moved the early access from five days to seven. Woot

I wonder if that has to do with the game coming out on the 15th in Europe. Maybe they were complaining they wouldn't get any early access time as it was before?

Or perhaps they had enough pre-orders that they wanted a longer period to stagger in the addition of new players. Who knows? Either way, it's now 7 days potentially instead of 5, which is a nice bonus.

7. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:11 jacobvandy

Fion wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:06:
Early access begins in six days. They moved the early access from five days to seven. Woot

I wonder if that has to do with the game coming out on the 15th in Europe. Maybe they were complaining they wouldn't get any early access time as it was before?

6. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:08 nin

The big question isn't the launch (which I'm sure will be gangbusters), but where the game is in 3, 6, and 12 months.

I've certainty enjoyed my time, but I do worry a little about the future.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:01 ASeven

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo