Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 8, 2011, 16:14 Creston

Alamar wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 17:17:
Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:51:
It's such a relief to finally be able to play for hours and hours on end without randomly crashing back to the desktop.

Creston

But then, when will you know it's time to stand up and stretch your legs (and other assorted body parts)? : )

-Alamar

Usually when the pain becomes too great to bear...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 19:21 Flatline

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 12:41:
To be fair, Skyrim has been the best release they've ever done for me. I had a total of 3 crashes in 100 hours of gameplay, and ever since I started using LAA, it's been rock solid.

Not saying other people don't have issues, because I've been in their shoes myself (Oblivion crashed for me on three completely different hardware builds, and Fallout on two different ones) but Skyrim is fantastic.

It's such a relief to finally be able to play for hours and hours on end without randomly crashing back to the desktop.

Creston

From a bug perspective, it is definitely better than many other releases and I did touch on that in the post. The big "scandal" this time seems to be a combination of the PS3 problem which seems to be endemic to the ancient engine they keep insisting on using and that the latest patch at least added as many problems as it fixed.

It's not *entirely* the engine's fault though. I mean, it works well enough on an xbox or PC. The PS3's hardware architecture blows goats in just the specific way that Skyrim really, really needs it to *not* blow goats.

Still, Bethesda needs it's peepee slapped hard for releasing a game with a known death-bug that it probably can't resolve.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 17:17 Alamar

Creston

But then, when will you know it's time to stand up and stretch your legs (and other assorted body parts)? : )

-Alamar

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 16:50 Ozmodan

Lesson here, just don't play Bethesda games on a PS3. Problem solved. I fixed it long ago by giving the ps3 to my kids.  

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 16:29 Silicon Avatar

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 15:47:
Kastagir wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 14:15:
Too many people have recognized Obsidian's incompetence.

I do find it interesting that when Obsidian releases a buggy game, they're incompetent, but when Bethesda releases a buggy game, they're endearing.

I don't know about endearing, but there's a significant difference between Obsidian games and Bethesda games in my experience. Bethesda games are pretty fun out of the box for me. They might glitch and have some crashes, but the gameplay is pretty decent and they're still pretty fun. Obsidian games usually feel rushed - liked they tried to do too much with too few people.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 16:24 Bhruic

Really? There are some dissenters, but most people consider Fallout:NV to be better than Fallout 3, regardless of the bug levels. Obsidian just does better stories/characters. I'd love to see a version of TES done by Obsidian. As nice as Skyrim is, I suspect Obsidian could do it better.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 16:19 Bludd

Fallout NV is great in the same way Skyrim is great. It has the same downfalls too.  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 15:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Kastagir wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 14:15:

I do find it interesting that when Obsidian releases a buggy game, they're incompetent, but when Bethesda releases a buggy game, they're endearing.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 14:15 Kastagir

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 10:24:
Given the trashy broken state that Fallout New Vegas (and every other game Obsidian has ever touched) shipped in I don't think Obsidian is a credible source of information...

I have to agree with this. And I half expect to find out in the coming months that Obsidian won't be involved in any Skyrim DLC or spinoffs of Bethesda IP. Too many people have recognized Obsidian's incompetence.

Creation Engine has plenty of flaws, so it's hard to care too much about this one. It's designed for 7 year old hardware and 9 year old DirectX libraries!

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 13:09 Bludd

I also love the game, and I think it is their best yet. I just want them to actually have a new engine for the next game.

I've thought about this Creation Engine's newness a bit: maybe for legal reasons Bethesda HAVE to refer to it as a new engine.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 12:41 Parallax Abstraction

To be fair, Skyrim has been the best release they've ever done for me. I had a total of 3 crashes in 100 hours of gameplay, and ever since I started using LAA, it's been rock solid.

Not saying other people don't have issues, because I've been in their shoes myself (Oblivion crashed for me on three completely different hardware builds, and Fallout on two different ones) but Skyrim is fantastic.

Creston

From a bug perspective, it is definitely better than many other releases and I did touch on that in the post. The big "scandal" this time seems to be a combination of the PS3 problem which seems to be endemic to the ancient engine they keep insisting on using and that the latest patch at least added as many problems as it fixed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 12:35 Silicon Avatar

Same. I've actually had very, very few issues with Skyrim and I've got a ton of hours invested in it. For me this actually is the most bug-free Bethesda release I've ever seen.

I think the untold story is more interesting here.

If Sawyer's willing to step out and poke Bethesda either him and Hines have a really solid professional relationship or Sawyer just canned his chance to ever do another Fallout game.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 11:51 Creston

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:01:
I wrote a lengthy post on my blog yesterday about this and how Bethesda's track record for broken releases dating back to the 1990s demonstrates a fundamental lack of respect for their customers that seems to be bred into that company's culture now. They continue to use dated tech and push out broken games because they can.

Creston

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 11:49 Creston

avianflu wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:24:
I suspect Sawyer is entirely correct about the reason for the lag, but Bethesda will use its PR staff to deny deny deny.

If the issue that Sawyer's talking about is still prevalent in Skyrim, then yeah, they would deny that, because it's something they basically can't fix. To fix it they'd have to overhaul the entire underlying structure of the engine.

Creston

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 11:24 avianflu

I suspect Sawyer is entirely correct about the reason for the lag, but Bethesda will use its PR staff to deny deny deny.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 11:07 avianflu

another jumping ship on a core exclusive game -- something not good is going on behind the scenes at Sony.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 11:01 Parallax Abstraction

Bludd wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 10:53:
Nobody believes the Creation Engine is but a Gamebryo 1.2. If it isn't the same engine (updated), then Bethesda have gone to great lengths to mimic and emulate the peculiarities and horriblenessities of Gamebryo in their brand new shiny Creation Engine.

It is 100% an updated Gamebryo. It uses the same ESM file structure, same setup utility on PC and has all the same quirks with swapping out and whatnot that the Gamebryo titles did. That's why there were Skyrim mods coming out within hours, everyone knew the tech already. The makers of Gamebryo went under a while back and while the engine was picked up by a Chinese company that still makes it, Bethesda likely got ownership of the version they were using when Emergent went under and just rebadged it. That they kept referring to it as "all-new" is a damned lie. Obsidian has a bad technical track records but Bethesda's is worse and is this as much on them as anyone else.

I wrote a lengthy post on my blog yesterday about this and how Bethesda's track record for broken releases dating back to the 1990s demonstrates a fundamental lack of respect for their customers that seems to be bred into that company's culture now. They continue to use dated tech and push out broken games because they can.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 10:53 Bludd

Nobody believes the Creation Engine is but a Gamebryo 1.2. If it isn't the same engine (updated), then Bethesda have gone to great lengths to mimic and emulate the peculiarities and horriblenessities of Gamebryo in their brand new shiny Creation Engine.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 10:45 Creston

To be fair, what Sawyer said is exactly how the engine worked in Oblivion and Fallout / FO:NV. People just took that quote and automatically applied it to Skyrim. Josh never actually said anything about Skyrim, he was talking about FO:NV.

I would hope Bethesda fixed that issue for Skyrim for the PS3, but I don't exactly have a lot of faith in their ability to fix issues.

Creston

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 10:24 Silicon Avatar

Given the trashy broken state that Fallout New Vegas (and every other game Obsidian has ever touched) shipped in I don't think Obsidian is a credible source of information...

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo