Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2011, 10:08 nin

Drazula wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 10:04:
Researches find poop-throwing by chimps is a sign of intelligence.

I always thought that Hoo Flung Poo, author of "Brown Spots on the Wall", was simian. The writing style was primal.

There was a guy on the garona server in WOW that used a similar spelling of his character name. Always made me chuckle when I'd see him around.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2011, 10:04 Drazula

Researches find poop-throwing by chimps is a sign of intelligence.

I always thought that Hoo Flung Poo, author of "Brown Spots on the Wall", was simian. The writing style was primal.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2011, 09:44 nin

The most startling thing is that the ship still leaks oil every few minutes, which is clearly visible from the memorial.

I remember visiting as a kid close to 25-30 years ago and seeing that. Surprised me, too.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. The 45 Most Powerful Images Of 2011. Dec 8, 2011, 09:02 Steelcamp

# 12  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 23:56 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 18:37:
And I forgot why Tora Tora Tora was on the other night, but I always watch it anyway. Brilliant piece of cinematic history there. Anyone been to the Arizona memorial I'd like to check it out one of these days.
I've been to the AZ Memorial in Pearl Harbor. There's a nice museum and park to walk around in before you get on the boat. Then you ride out to the memorial itself. It's very somber and quiet, while at the same time being airy and bright. It's one of the most amazing memorials I've seen. It's a truly inspiring design.

Surprisingly a lot of Japanese tourists visit the memorial. The most startling thing is that the ship still leaks oil every few minutes, which is clearly visible from the memorial. The oil is rust colored, and it's as if the ship itself is still bleeding.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 20:42 zirik

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 17:10:
But phones work on the ground. Are you saying they flip a magic switch? I don't think so. Unless they have a signal killer - but I can imagine THAT would harm their equipment.

I think it is probably more a matter of being way to far away from a tower and moving too quickly to acquire one.

It is all bunk.

i didnt think of that but it seems you are correct. and yeah GPS do work in flight so there is radio transparency to the skin of aircrafts. i found this website http://www.911myths.com/html/mobiles_at_altitude.html that explains all of it. basically boils down to cell phone networks not designed for high speed transfer of call signals from one tower to the next.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 18:37 Cutter

And I forgot why Tora Tora Tora was on the other night, but I always watch it anyway. Brilliant piece of cinematic history there. Anyone been to the Arizona memorial I'd like to check it out one of these days.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 17:10 xXBatmanXx

zirik wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 16:34:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 12:01:
I have never been on a plane when the voice portion has worked. That high up, no cell service.

never tried turning on my phone during flight at 40k feet but i would guess the reason why you didnt get a signal is because of the faraday cage effect of the airplane skin/structure. same reason why a lightning strike on the airplane wont electrocute passengers. i believe once airlines decide to put cell phone repeater antennas inside the cabin we will get a signal at altitude over land. over sea might be impossible since there wont be towers to send signals.

But phones work on the ground. Are you saying they flip a magic switch? I don't think so. Unless they have a signal killer - but I can imagine THAT would harm their equipment.

I think it is probably more a matter of being way to far away from a tower and moving too quickly to acquire one.

It is all bunk.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2011, 18:19.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 16:34 zirik

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 12:01:
I have never been on a plane when the voice portion has worked. That high up, no cell service.

never tried turning on my phone during flight at 40k feet but i would guess the reason why you didnt get a signal is because of the faraday cage effect of the airplane skin/structure. same reason why a lightning strike on the airplane wont electrocute passengers. i believe once airlines decide to put cell phone repeater antennas inside the cabin we will get a signal at altitude over land. over sea might be impossible since there wont be towers to send signals.

15. Worst Wheel of Fortune guess ever. Dec 7, 2011, 15:30 jdreyer

I think that THIS is the worst Wheel of Fortune guess ever.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 14:03 Hoop

I loved Tom Hanks in the green mole.
I saw him interviewed once where he said he loved being in the green mole.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: 9 Greatest Nerd Fears Dec 7, 2011, 13:36 kanniballl

Fion wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 13:05:
Oh #1 is scary as hell. Considering it has already been done with the fantastic BBC series Being Human (and yes, the US version sucks tremendous ballage), I wouldn't doubt that some coked up executive crazy for an idea goes 'yes.. a US Doctor Who could work!'

/shivers

I don't know, that I could see myself getting wasted and watching that fake pitched show in the article . It would be the cheesiest thing on TV, while trying to be serious.

From producer Shonda Rhimes (Grey’s Anatomy) comes the story of a doctor unlike any you’ve seen before! Tim Allen stars as Doctor Who, a peculiar neurosurgeon with a few secrets of his own. Accompanying him is Mischa Barton as his companion, Nurse Rose. Join them on their sexy adventures at Tardis Memorial Hospital – and beyond! Sundays, 9/8c only on the CW.

All kidding aside, the only US-remake of a UK show I liked was "Life on Mars..." assuming you turn off the TV before the last 5-10 minutes of the series finale. Up until then, it was gold. I related very well to 70's NY compared to 70's UK so it was fun to watch.

The US Office started alright I guess... but it went on too long in my opinion.

-

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2011, 13:52.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. 9 Greatest Nerd Fears Dec 7, 2011, 13:05 Fion

Oh #1 is scary as hell. Considering it has already been done with the fantastic BBC series Being Human (and yes, the US version sucks tremendous ballage), I wouldn't doubt that some coked up executive crazy for an idea goes 'yes.. a US Doctor Who could work!'

/shivers

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 13:02 kanniballl

zirik wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:52:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 10:09:
Words with Friends Play Gets Alec Baldwin Kicked Off Plane.

Although ridiculous - and it has been proven that phones and electronics don't do shit - i saw this super idiotic headline on the US page of CNN.com

regardless of the effects on flight instruments i still believe cell phones should not be allowed on airplanes during flight. can you imagine how annoying it would be to sit through an entire flight with someone yapping when you are trying to get some sleep?

Like someone else mentioned, on the few times I've turned mine on I had no service. I usually fly over the sea, but the last time I flew from Boston -> Newark I checked at some point and there was no service.

That being said, he was playing a game on his phone... not yapping away.

I hate STANDING next to someone in line that's yapping on the cellphone... so I shudder to think what it would be like to sit next to someone for X hours. Then again, I've also sat next to overly-chatty strangers so that's almost the same thing. Headphones + iPod or Movie service takes care of that.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 12:29 Rossafur

When I read "Cheerleader POV" the first thing that comes to mind is *quite* different. Color me disappointed! Haha  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 12:01 xXBatmanXx

zirik wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:52:

Although ridiculous - and it has been proven that phones and electronics don't do shit - i saw this super idiotic headline on the US page of CNN.com

regardless of the effects on flight instruments i still believe cell phones should not be allowed on airplanes during flight. can you imagine how annoying it would be to sit through an entire flight with someone yapping when you are trying to get some sleep?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 11:52 zirik

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 11:30 kanniballl

On a side note (about the Alec Baldwin thing)...

They should do a bit on 30 Rock. Bring in Matt Damon again and have him initiate "sky law" again.

-

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 11:28 kanniballl

On one hand, I can see the passengers getting annoyed... they were an hour late due to this. But I've been on flights way more than an hour late and it was never the passenger's fault. The stuff they were saying to the news-cameras at their destination was a bit harsh.

Really, unless he was going insane in the cabin I'd probably applaud him. The plane's not moving, sitting at the terminal, and they're giving him sh** about still using the portable device. Kind of like a celebrity protest: "this is bullsh** and we're not going to take it anymore."

I'm not saying Alec is "all there" or the "calmest person" after his little voicemail reveal... but it's a principal of the thing. A little device like that isn't going to affect anything... yet they halt the flight AND kick him off for it.

Then again, it's not like this was a new post-911 regulation... they've been asking you to stop using eletronic devices for years.

-

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 10:46 Creston

That cheerleader POV is awesome. I saw a similar video from a top level gymnast a few years back, but she did so many tumbles and spins you couldn't really follow what was going on. This was really cool.

Creston

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo