Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Indie Gala Bundle

The Indie Gala is the latest bundle of indie games offered with a pick-you-own price scheme and a charitable component, which in this case is support for Save the Children and Child's Play. The bundle comprises: Zombie Shooter 2, inMomentum, Hacker Evolution: Duality, Saira, and Your Doodles Are Bugged!. Also, for the first two days customers will also receive Zombie Shooter 1, Hacker Evolution: Untold, Your Doodles Are Bugged! Bonus doodles, and the Zombie Shooter Main Theme.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 22:39 Jerykk

Fair enough. The Humble bundles seem to get significantly more sales than the Indie Royale and Indie Gala ones. It helps that a minority of buyers pay huge amounts, which doesn't seem to happen with the other bundles.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 21:06 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 20:07:
Most of the multi-developer bundles from the Humble Bundle take in about $1-1.5 million, it seems like.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. From what I've seen, it seems like most of the bundles make less than $100,000 each. The Indie Gala Bundle, for example, has only made $43709.84 thus far. Let's assume it reaches $50,000 by the time it ends. Cut out 30% for charity and that's $35,000. Split it amongst five devs and that's only $7000 each. Better than nothing but probably significantly less than they'd make at regular prices.

From Wolfire Games, the people who do the Humble Indie Bundle promotions:

Humble Bundle 1: $1,273,613.80
Humble Bundle 2: $1,826,860.51
Humble Frozenbyte Bundle: $910,495.40
Humble Bundle 3: $2,169,774.64
Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle: $1,116,117.14
Humble Voxatron Debut: $902,807.84
Humble Introversion Bundle: $778,519.50

If anything, on the multi-developer ones, I erred on the low side.

12. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 20:07 Jerykk

Most of the multi-developer bundles from the Humble Bundle take in about $1-1.5 million, it seems like.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. From what I've seen, it seems like most of the bundles make less than $100,000 each. The Indie Gala Bundle, for example, has only made $43709.84 thus far. Let's assume it reaches $50,000 by the time it ends. Cut out 30% for charity and that's $35,000. Split it amongst five devs and that's only $7000 each. Better than nothing but probably significantly less than they'd make at regular prices.

11. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 19:16 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 18:41:
I forget the default split on humble bundle, but introversion had to have pulled in at least a couple/few hundred thousand bucks.

True, but all those games were Introversion games so the profits weren't split between multiple developers. If a bundle has 5 games, each from a different dev and the average buyer spends $1, then about 30% is given to charity... that's not a lot of profit per developer.

Most of the multi-developer bundles from the Humble Bundle take in about $1-1.5 million, it seems like. Take out 30% of that, and you're in the range of $700K-1.1M. Divide among five developers, and each one gets $140-220K, just from the one bundle, to say nothing of any other sales they've gotten for their games.

Since many of the games are made by small teams over a year or so of time, it's likely that the vast majority of them could pull an accounting profit just from the Humble Indie Bundle (assuming an average "salary" of about $40K/dev/year). It's not the big money, but if it's enough to comfortably fund the next game...

10. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 18:41 Jerykk

I forget the default split on humble bundle, but introversion had to have pulled in at least a couple/few hundred thousand bucks.

True, but all those games were Introversion games so the profits weren't split between multiple developers. If a bundle has 5 games, each from a different dev and the average buyer spends $1, then about 30% is given to charity... that's not a lot of profit per developer.

9. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 07:51 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 04:30:
I wonder how profitable these bundles are for devs. Considering that the vast majority of buyers pay less than $5 and that's divided between various charities, it can't be much. I'm guessing they do this primarily for exposure, as that's the greatest obstacle any indie has to face.
But there's very little overhead. Just the steam keys basically, I dunno what steam charges for keys sold outside of steam. I think steam takes something like 30%-40% or so for sales inside steam.

Anyway, like gabe has said, when they do sales marking it down 75% or more, they actually pull in MORE money overall, even counting the fact that it takes 4 sales at 75% off to make the same amount of money.

Look at the previous humble bundle:

$778,515.00 Total payments
190,259 Purchases #:

I forget the default split on humble bundle, but introversion had to have pulled in at least a couple/few hundred thousand bucks. And wasn't introversion having financial problems recently? When you are an indie, thats a lot. When you are EA, thats petty cash of a VP.

The bundles are doing enough that this is what, the 2nd indie bundle thing to pop up in the last few months after humble bundle paved the way for a year or two? They wouldn't be doing that if there wasn't money to be made. Also, I've seen devs and products return more than once on the humble bundle, so its enough to have return customers in terms of devs.

I bought this since I only have 1 game in it (compared to the last humble bundle which was first I didn't buy since I had all but 1 game in it), but I'm starting to feel saturated from indie bundles. I liked it better when there was just humble bundle. Also, I think doing an "above average purchase bonus" like the humble bundle would benefit them, this bundle is sitting at an average of $1.42 compared to humble's normal $5 ish. And since the first 35 cents or so is taken up by paypal, its more significant than it seems to go from $1 (almost 30% paypal fees) to $5 (less than 10% paypal fees).

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2011, 08:14.

8. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 04:30 Jerykk

I wonder how profitable these bundles are for devs. Considering that the vast majority of buyers pay less than $5 and that's divided between various charities, it can't be much. I'm guessing they do this primarily for exposure, as that's the greatest obstacle any indie has to face.  

7. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 7, 2011, 03:29 jimnms

I'm going to grab this mainly for Your Doodles are Bugged. I almost it this a while back for my niece since she likes Crayon Physics Deluxe, but she's not quite old enough to have the patience to solve some of the tougher levels.

I have Saira from a previous indie bundle (where I also got Crayon Physics Deluxe) that was sold on Steam long before the indie bundles became a trend, and I really enjoyed it.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2011, 03:37.

Steam Profile

6. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 6, 2011, 23:29 jacobvandy

This is a steal! I played the original Hacker Evolution a while back and wanted the new one(s), but wasn't willing to pay full price. It'd be $85 for all of these on the Steam store, but the average payment right now is $1.40, highest is $30, lol...

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 23:00:
Hmmmm... I noticed that the default split gives very little to charity, and most to the devs

That may have something to do with how a start-up bundle is able to get the devs to go along with it.

5. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 6, 2011, 23:10 Elf Shot The Food

I have most of these, but I'm interested in inMomentum.  

4. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 6, 2011, 23:00 Kitkoan

Hmmmm... I noticed that the default split gives very little to charity, and most to the devs  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

3. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 6, 2011, 21:57 Dirwulf

How can you resist this one? I've always wanted to play the Hacker games. Bought. I'm cheap, so I will admit to only playing $1 for 7 games. Donated to Charity. Sorry devs.

2. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 6, 2011, 21:43 ochentay4

Razorclaw wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 21:24:
would be useful to point out this bundle is steam only. not only steam only, it's steam keys only.
I loved it though, keep it coming!

1. Re: Indie Gala Bundle Dec 6, 2011, 21:24 vermin

would be useful to point out this bundle is steam only. not only steam only, it's steam keys only.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo