Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today

DICE's Daniel "zh1nt0" Matros tweets that the Battlefield 3 patch promised for today will not include any changes to voice communication in the military shooter sequel (thanks joao). Here's word:

Weīre keeping the voip as it is right now. By increasing to this level of functionality we would have to make the VOIP solution a part of the game installation, which we currently donít want from a business perspective.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 7, 2011, 14:20 m0deth

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 16:19:
we would have to make the VOIP solution a part of the game installation, which we currently donít want from a business perspective.

Yeah, imagine how large the install would get!

*game with multiple 2GB patches*

Creston

I dunno if that's a concern, VOIP is generally small, size wise. Mumble's download is only 14.5mb and that includes the server for windows. It's quality beats that of just about any included VOIP solutions, no matter how much they pay for their fancy codec licensing. My big concern might be how it's handled. Usually this sort of thing is a tack on, and will stress the overhead of the server it's running on if that's the game server itself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 7, 2011, 14:12 m0deth

Far better to HAVE the option for people who need it, than to just deny it to everyone.

I'm sorry but tell that to users of Crysis, Crysis Wars and the mods that use it....trust me, shitty VOIP is still useless, and the attempt without making it useful translates to you don't give a crap about the gamers. Either do it right...like Valve(sort of), or don't bother...as even free solutions such as mumble can make you look really bad quality-wise.

42. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 7, 2011, 09:13 SXO

Basically what they mean is that EA wants people to live and breath Battlelog, therefore providing an in-game solution to VOIP goes against their business goals.  

41. Re: Commo Rose Dec 6, 2011, 21:40 eRe4s3r

The thing is the commo rose right now does nothing. In the fray of combat you can't even hear it. If they somehow made it more prominent and noticeable i am sure it would do a lot more.  

40. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 21:38 eRe4s3r

Ah.. yeah that makes even more sense. Sonar is a CLOUD voip provider. That means likely that EA has to pay per user some kind of fee.  

39. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 21:00 Nate

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 14:33:
Probably because the ones working on Origin and the ones working on BF3 and the ones working on the VOIP via battlelog (Sonar or whatever they call it) were different teams in different places.

I am guessing they want to, at some point, integrate the whole battelog style functionality directly into origin so that they can bind games to that service and create a game-spanning community functionality. If they want to add it now to BF3 they probably gonna have to change both BF3 and Battlelog fundamentally...

Origin's VOIP browser plugin, Sonar is made by a different company. DICE would probably need to pay more money to integrate it into the game.

38. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 20:09 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 19:37:
Dev wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 17:40:
I mean its not like VOIP has been standard in FPS since like original CS days or anything, right?

It took 2 years and 3 months (v1.3) to get voice chat added into CS.
Yes yes, I played the beta of the original CS. But that was what, over 10 years ago? And since then valve has put VOIP into all their multiplayer games without fail as far as I know.
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 19:47:
Get PC version, join a clan, use their ventrilo or team speak, or a public vent if you don't want to join a group.
The way it is, the way it should be.
Huh? So are you knocking companies like valve for including it built into the game? If you don't want to use a game's built in VOIP because your clan prefers something else, just turn it off, but if a game doesn't have it in the first place, then there's not even an option to use it. Far better to HAVE the option for people who need it, than to just deny it to everyone. When I play games without voip like BFBC2, I usually end up not using VOIP period.

37. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 20:07 Dev

double post  

36. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 19:47 Marvin T. Martian

Get PC version, join a clan, use their ventrilo or team speak, or a public vent if you don't want to join a group.
The way it is, the way it should be.

35. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 19:37 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 17:40:
TheEmissary wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 16:56:
How hard is it to have some type of inter-process communication between the game client/server and battlelog to arrange the chat channels when you hop in a squad/vehicle or become squad leader?
Too hard for dice. So is an integrated server browser.

They paid a 3rd party to make the Battlelog and voice chat so it only makes sense that they would stick with that instead of implementing their own in-game voice chat. But yes, they've proven multiple times that those things are too hard for them.

I mean its not like VOIP has been standard in FPS since like original CS days or anything, right?

It took 2 years and 3 months (v1.3) to get voice chat added into CS.

34. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 17:40 Dev

TheEmissary wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 16:56:
How hard is it to have some type of inter-process communication between the game client/server and battlelog to arrange the chat channels when you hop in a squad/vehicle or become squad leader?
Too hard for dice. So is an integrated server browser.

33. Commo Rose Dec 6, 2011, 17:39 KilgoreTrout

If they implemented the commo rose as promised it would alleviate the absence of ingame group VOIP somewhat.

I have never really been bothered by VOIP in BF2 or BF2142. It worked really well, with people mostly keeping the communication brief and to the point. Not like CS.

32. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 16:56 TheEmissary

Unacceptable! If I hear so much as a whisper or hint that the next game is launching without a working VoIP I might actually skip that release.

Practically every multiplayer game since 2003 has had some version of VoIP integrated in to the game. This isn't rocket science or an outrageous request but a standard feature. EA/DICE had working VOIP for BF2 and 2142 and even went as far as to give away headsets with preorders. Then they dropped the ball with BC2 and never bothered to get it working again in useful sense.

Forcing people to send friend requests so they can use the party voip is not solution. Not everyone has the luxury of joining a game with their friends and you should be able to talk to the random members of your team to organize something.

31. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 16:40 Halo

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 16:21:
Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:29:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:10:
InBlack wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:49:
Suck it up EA's bitches! Yeah!

(now back to Skyrim)

Yeah, cause Bethesda hasn't repeatedly spit in the faces of their customers either.

Only the PC players.

I think PS3 players have far, FAR bigger issues that the PC people do. Seeing as how their game simply will not play anymore after xx hours...

Creston

Just don't save.

30. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 16:21 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:29:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:10:
InBlack wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:49:
Suck it up EA's bitches! Yeah!

(now back to Skyrim)

Yeah, cause Bethesda hasn't repeatedly spit in the faces of their customers either.

Only the PC players.

I think PS3 players have far, FAR bigger issues that the PC people do. Seeing as how their game simply will not play anymore after xx hours...

Creston

29. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 16:19 Creston

we would have to make the VOIP solution a part of the game installation, which we currently donít want from a business perspective.

Yeah, imagine how large the install would get!

*game with multiple 2GB patches*

Creston

28. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 16:09 MattyC

ASeven wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:11:
Oh wow... and people keep on giving money to these guys, EA/DICE. Bf3 was done for the PC my ass, that was a convenient lie to get PC gamers to dish out for their consolized game.

Uh... just looking at screenshots would show you work was clearly done for the PC version. It has visuals far out of the PS3/360 range. The server browser is also web based. I think that was a dumb idea, but it clearly shows a PC thought process.

27. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 15:33 Fibrocyte

OldScho0l wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 14:38:
Techie714 © wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:04:
Not adding VOIP in this game was a HUGE mistake. I play for team "TAW" and without TS (Team Speak) this game would be further crippled. I still can't believe this game didn't ship with it. As far as the business decision goes my only guess on this is that EVERYTHING that goes into a game is carefully discussed & looked at from a profit standpoint, business deal, etc.

Edit Don't trust TAW. They have been caught robbing their clan members. They get you to install mods and game related apps and are actually deploying trojans and other goodies. Beware.

Just curious how you know this and if you wouldn't mind posting a link to some examples/proof.

26. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 14:41 eunichron

While VOIP would be nice, given the ubiquity of communication programs like Ventrilo, Skype, Teamspeak, and Mumble I don't think it is really needed. Usually with VOIP games I spend the first few minutes of a game muting the 12 year olds and annoying players anyway.

Most server leasers include a Ventrilo or Teamspeak server in with the cost of the server anyway, if players are that adamant about communication they can always join it.

25. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 14:38 OldScho0l

Techie714 © wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 11:04:
Not adding VOIP in this game was a HUGE mistake. I play for team "TAW" and without TS (Team Speak) this game would be further crippled. I still can't believe this game didn't ship with it. As far as the business decision goes my only guess on this is that EVERYTHING that goes into a game is carefully discussed & looked at from a profit standpoint, business deal, etc.

Edit Don't trust TAW. They have been caught robbing their clan members. They get you to install mods and game related apps and are actually deploying trojans and other goodies. Beware.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo