Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight 2 Interview

An interview on The RPG Reporter talks with Travis Baldtree of Runic Games about Torchlight 2, Runic's upcoming action/RPG. They have the audio recording of the interview, as well as a transcript. Along the way they discuss his background, Mythos, Fate, the impact of a larger team, comparisons with the Diablo series, skills, achievements, charge mechanics, balance, the end-game, and more.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 7, 2011, 15:36 avianflu

i thoroughly enjoyed TL1 with a mage character

But in a 2nd play thru at a higher difficulty with the archer? it felt like the same game all over again. The character builds actually are not all that different from each other. It all boils down to element damage.

worth the $$ but imho limited replay value.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 23:41 Bucky

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 20:33:
Doesn't matter if TL2 and D3 were exactly the same and released on the same day, one is $60 and one is what, $20? Less?

$20

15. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 22:17 ColoradoHoudini

I prefer TL2.. and I am a big Blizz fanboy.

I am probably not adding anything to this discussion. I'll show myself out

14. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 21:25 Alamar

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 18:06:
I don't consider Blizzard "the bad guy". They are just not making a game I want to play, so I'm not buying it. No activism there. I was all over Starcraft 2 but World of Warcraft is one of my top 5 most hated games ever. It's all about the game, not the publisher.

While I disagree with your opinions... I stand behind your final statement : )

It's part of my anti-celebrity'ism... I don't care if <insert big name that's currently popular> spewed it out, I have no interest in crap (<cough>Rage<cough)), and will gobble up stuff by supposedly crappy developers/companies... Though I can't think of any at the moment : )

I would mention an Ubisoft game here if I could think of a recent one I had any interest in...

-Alamar

13. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 20:33 jacobvandy

Doesn't matter if TL2 and D3 were exactly the same and released on the same day, one is $60 and one is what, $20? Less?  

12. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 19:06 Slashman

Yakubs wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 17:46:
Gotta love gaming activists. Keep fighting the good fight against big bad Blizzard, guys.

Don't worry too much. We'll always have sheep like you that will buy whatever they crap out regardless of the product!! You're a REAL hero!

11. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 18:06 Prez

I don't consider Blizzard "the bad guy". They are just not making a game I want to play, so I'm not buying it. No activism there. I was all over Starcraft 2 but World of Warcraft is one of my top 5 most hated games ever. It's all about the game, not the publisher.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 18:04 Halo

Yakubs wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 17:46:
Gotta love gaming activists. Keep fighting the good fight against big bad Blizzard, guys.

If Diablo & II is a simpler played Rogue-like and D3 is supposed to be even simpler

9. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 17:46 Yakubs

8. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 16:04 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 16:00:
IF I were project lead on TL2, I'd have cancelled the game altogether by now. D3 is around the corner.

Well, thank the heavens that you're not the project lead, because there's only Torchlight 2 for me. I'm not even interested in Diablo 3 (a.k.a. "World of Diablo", a.k.a. "Diablo Online") anymore.

'Blo-Craft?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 16:00 Prez

IF I were project lead on TL2, I'd have cancelled the game altogether by now. D3 is around the corner.

Well, thank the heavens that you're not the project lead, because there's only Torchlight 2 for me. I'm not even interested in Diablo 3 (a.k.a. "World of Diablo", a.k.a. "Diablo Online") anymore.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 14:52 Bucky

Optional nickname wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 12:29:

There's quite a bit of difference between the two games, not the least of which is the level of control each developer is imposing upon the game. D3 is going to be locked down, while Torchlight 2 will be open to modding and the like. Runic has said they aren't particularly worried about Diablo 3 given how different the two games are, not to mention that the original Torchlight had lengthy and sustained sales which I'd imagine they expect with the sequel. There's also the not-so-small issue of budget, Torchlight 2 won't have to sell nearly as many copies as Diablo 3 in order to break even.

I'm practically foaming at the mouth for either game, and both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 will be pre-order puchases. Now if only either company would give me a release date!

5. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 14:48 DrEvil

Optional nickname wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 12:29:

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here."

But seriously, I think they appeal to very different audiences, and unlike Diablo III, Torchlight 2 won't require a persistent online connection. Nor do they have silly in-game auction houses for real money and the like.

4. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 12:29 Optional nickname

3. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 11:13 Ozmodan

Might be nice when you post a link to a video you get the game right.

Torchlight is NOT a side scrolling game to start with, that should have raised a red flag right away.

2. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 11:04 Shagwood

Uhh...that vid is Trine 2...not TL 2....  

1. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 10:55 LittleMe

Here's a gameplay vid. It looks fantastic. Too bad this sort of jumpy side-scroller gameplay is so simple. These guys are very talented, except maybe at deciding exactly what sort of game to focus their energy. My opinion.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo