Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AVault for Sale

NewWorld.com announces that Angel Munoz has resigned after 15 years as the company's CEO. The board of directors says they will not replace Munoz, but rather will look to sell off the company's assets, including the newworld.com domain and The Adrenaline Vault website. "Angel is a strong leader who managed our company for fifteen years," says NewWorld.comís Chairman of the Board, Joe Garagiola, Jr. "He spearheaded a number of innovative projects and even managed to create an entire new industry. We understand his desire to seek new challenges and wish him well on his new venture."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 14:33 Ant

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 14:25:
Hard to believe that it's almost been 6 years since Billy Wicked Wilson died.

Wow, it has really been that long? VE was usually where I went for my news. Quote of the day, interesting humor, great crowd and then all the sudden they sold out to IGN and I've never been back.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050316045914/http://ve3d.ign.com/ has the original article posted by Apache in regards to the death of Billy Wilson towards the bottom. Feels like I just read it yesterday.
Wow, I forgot about that. It seems longer than six years too.

Speaking of other web sites, I miss Stomped.com, old Shacknews, etc. I stopped going to those other gaming web sites since I don't play games and have time. I just use Blue's News, Reddit, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 14:25 Wallshadows

Hard to believe that it's almost been 6 years since Billy Wicked Wilson died.

Wow, it has really been that long? VE was usually where I went for my news. Quote of the day, interesting humor, great crowd and then all the sudden they sold out to IGN and I've never been back.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050316045914/http://ve3d.ign.com/ has the original article posted by Apache in regards to the death of Billy Wilson towards the bottom. Feels like I just read it yesterday.

24. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 14:16 gilly775

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 09:19:
Are there any other good gaming news sites beside this one?

I like reading RockPaperShotgun.

23. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 13:17 Verno

Forgot about Rock Paper Shotgun, its a good site.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

22. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 11:34 Cutter

I still like RPGwatch and Desslock is still around. Game Banshee they're still a quality site and always have been.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. PCRL! Dec 6, 2011, 10:44 Ant

Halo wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:39:
I remember Avault I used to get all my demos there!
As of now I think all my gaming news is here, Rockpapershotgun, and
indiegames.com

Pretty much any other site was bought up by some other site and changed into a format that I reallllly did not like. Kotaku is okay It's kind of cool to have all the articles shrunk so that they can be skimmed quicker.
Me too. Remember http://avault.com/pcrl , its scroller (Java I think?), Duke Nuke 3D (Duke3D) shareware release, etc.? Good times! I used to e-mail that guy, Rex Mendoza(?) since I was a big computer game back then. I wonder what's he up to. Or maybe he hangs out on BN too.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20050801000000/http://avault.com/pcrl/ for an old archive from 2005! I couldn't get older one.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2011, 14:28.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 10:39 Halo

I remember Avault I used to get all my demos there!
As of now I think all my gaming news is here, Rockpapershotgun, and
indiegames.com

Pretty much any other site was bought up by some other site and changed into a format that I reallllly did not like. Kotaku is okay It's kind of cool to have all the articles shrunk so that they can be skimmed quicker.

19. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 09:27 Icewind

I used to read Kotaku but then they redesigned it and now it sort of sucks. I still read VE3D sometimes, but it doesn't cover that much. Slashdot has sort of gone downhill (not that it was a gaming site). Some of the old game sites are just gone or hardly do anything anymore.

Anandtech is still around and kicking (and pretty good) if anyone remembers them.

Not the way it used to be. I got online in 96, and through the rest of the 90s you had sites like the Gaming Intelligence Agency, RPGdot, Desslock's old Gamespot blog and a crap-ton more.

The only places I go to anymore are RPGwatch, Magic Box, and sometimes Giant Bomb. It's not the same anymore. Most of the gaming sites nowadays are 4chan infected, so you get offshoots of that site like Kotaku and Destructoid, which portray troll posts as official site articles.

18. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 09:23 Verno

Not really Arstechnica can be alright sometimes but it tends to be very opinionated. There isn't as much need as there used to be, gaming is a very social activity now and many people get by with Steam news + message boards alone. Blues is my go to for PC stuff and I visit other sites for console stuff.

ftp.avault.com used to be so great, they always hosted awesome game servers too.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

17. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 09:19 Silicon Avatar

I used to read Kotaku but then they redesigned it and now it sort of sucks. I still read VE3D sometimes, but it doesn't cover that much. Slashdot has sort of gone downhill (not that it was a gaming site). Some of the old game sites are just gone or hardly do anything anymore.

Anandtech is still around and kicking (and pretty good) if anyone remembers them.

16. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 08:58 gilly775

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 02:31:
If I recall correctly Rich from Gone Gold was a cop and GG was always just a part-time thing.

Rich was medically discharged, iirc. I remember reading a post where he mentioned some complications and how he devoted his time to GG.

15. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 08:52 Quboid

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 22:41:
Oh wow I remember that site. I can't remember why I quit going there now.

I used to go there, until a redesign about 10 years ago killed it for me. I don't usually mind sites redesigning and even if it's a downgrade, I can live with it. But their new design was so abhorrent that every visit annoyed and confused me.

- Quboid

14. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 05:16 Ventura

If I recall correctly Rich from Gone Gold was a cop and GG was always just a part-time thing

If I remember correctly, Rich was experiencing a lot of pain, and that's when he had Bill Harris show up to start writing. Rich then basically disappeared completely not long afterwards, and then a little bit later, Bill left to start his Dubious Quality blog.

It's a real shame what happened to Rich. He used to write some truly amazing stuff.

13. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 04:36 FalconerHG

And we still miss him. He was such a character. (Billy)  

12. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 03:15 FalconerHG

It's amazing how long Avault held out with virtually no content at all. I loved the old Avault. It was THE site for me and it inspired me to start my own (hookedgamers.com). I'm not surprised the reboot a couple of years ago did not pan out, there's too much competition and the new Avault offered little over other offerings. Personally, I though Angel had already left and it surprises me he was apparently still leading the company.  

11. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 02:31 Cutter

If I recall correctly Rich from Gone Gold was a cop and GG was always just a part-time thing. Man, time flies. Hard to believe that it's almost been 6 years since Billy Wicked Wilson died. Always had some laughs with him over at VE. But yeah, there was that short period when Avault was one of the best, if not the best sites out there. I bet Angel wishes he sold long ao.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 02:05 Dmitri_M

I remember Avault suddenly going offline and being..perplexed.  

9. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 00:40 Rigs

Wow, they're finally going to let it rest in peace now? 'Bout frakin' time. You guys pretty much listed all the must-go-to sites ('cept for this one, of course ) in the mid to late 1990's. Sharkey's, GoneGold, Avault, ShackNews, NextGen/DailyRadar/MorningWoodNews (or whatever the hell they tried to call it), ATFW (A Time For War - spacesim news), Tom's Hardware and HardOCP (before they became an institution)...all sites that were 'need to read' back in the day. I'm sure there were others that I've glanced over. Now, really, the only one left that hasn't become a shell or an 'all-in-one' news/reviews/interviews/'entertainment'/mens health/sex advice/recipes/gaming-related smart comedy/blahblahblah, is the one your visiting right now and I can't emphasise enough how absolutely happy I am that Blue hasn't sold-out after all these years! I mean, all these other sites that constantly changed to get the most revenue possible and failed yet Blues gets by on just light advertising...If Blue ever put a 'Donate' button on the front page, I'd click that thing multiple times a month!

On a side note, whatever happened to Gone Gold? I used to adore that site! Then it was just...gone... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

8. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 5, 2011, 23:57 Nate

Me too! Used to be one of my favorite sites.  

7. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 5, 2011, 23:05 gilly775

This and Gone Gold were the two sites I often visited starting in the late 90s. Rich LaPorte dropped out of GG and then Avault went down one day and stayed offline for a long time. Sorry to see it being dissolved.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo