Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yeah, I was right about the ominous turn of the calendar that brought December upon us. MrsBlue informed me that we are braving the crowds to do some holiday shopping today. Okay, where's the eggnog?

Noggy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Random Heroes.
Outpost Combat 2.
Links: 5 Photoshop Disasters to astound and amuse.
4 Celebrity Workout Videos That Should Not Have Been.
Stories: Mass. Boy Faces Harassment Inquiry for Groin Punch. Thanks brother19.
"Starship Troopers" Remake On The Way. Why?
Science: Two Elements Named: Livermorium and Flerovium. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Ghosts 'n Goblins Blacksmith.
Fire Alarm Interrupts NBC Nightly News, Brian Williams.
How To Lose $2,400 In 24 Seconds.
House of the Rising Sun.
The Funnies: Magical Game Time: Skyrim VS Real Life.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2011, 16:45 xXBatmanXx

Bought the 4 pack of Dungeon Defenders today if anyone is interested. Glad I waited. Cheaper than the Turkey day sale.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2011, 16:42 xXBatmanXx

*poke  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2011, 12:35 xXBatmanXx

hahah that GnG video is awesome. Dorkly does some really funny stuff.
And yea, that House of the Rising Sun is sweet as hell!

Skyrim is awesome, I must get it - so many sweet videos:
Cheese Rollin - Skyrim Style

24. Re: House of the Rising Sun Dec 4, 2011, 12:02 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 20:07:
Oh come on! Say what you want but it was an entertaining flick.

Agreed

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: House of the Rising Sun Dec 3, 2011, 20:07 Cutter

Oh come on! Say what you want but it was an entertaining flick.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: House of the Rising Sun Dec 3, 2011, 19:47 Agent.X7

That was amazing. His Robot Band version of The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson is incredible as well.

Also, agree on the Starship Troopers remake. The original movie really had little to do with the book other than the Facist regime themes. The book features other aliens as well as power armor clad soldiers. Also, any movie starring Casper Van Dien couldn't possibly have been done right in the first place.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Blink Dec 3, 2011, 18:52 Hoop

nin wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 17:45:
House of the Rising Sun.

OK, that's fucking awesome!

That HP Scanjet 3P has had a hard life, you can sense the dues paid by the blues conveyed. Probably had people scanning their arse on it's flatbed, my god who knows what else.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2011, 23:00.

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Blink Dec 3, 2011, 18:30 nin

On the surface, it really looked like a fun game, and I think I logged around 10 hours before I quit. The implementation just ending up sucking...it was delayed once, and I can't help but wonder if delaying it again might have given them the extra time to polish things a bit more. But post launch support seemed to be pretty minimal.

Thanks for pointing that out as I missed it. That was pretty fucking awesome.

I missed it at first also. I've always loved that song, and it's hard not to howl along with it sometimes.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Blink Dec 3, 2011, 18:29 Cutter

nin wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 17:45:
House of the Rising Sun.

Thanks for pointing that out as I missed it. That was pretty fucking awesome.

18. Re: Blink Dec 3, 2011, 18:12 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 17:23:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 17:14:
Anyone been playing Blink this weekend? While I like the premise, I am finding the gameplay kind of crappy. I die all the time, and have no idea how, then spend 30s on my back waiting for some medic to revive me. Even for $5, I think it's a pass. Has anyone else had a more positive experience?

One of my biggest gripes with the game was the offense would capture points, but you couldn't respawn there. So you either laid there waiting on a medic, or you respawned all the way back at the beginning, and had to run back. This, combined with some obvious choke points on maps, really killed the game, I thought.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for elucidating exactly what I was experiencing.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Blink Dec 3, 2011, 17:45 nin

House of the Rising Sun.

16. Re: Blink Dec 3, 2011, 17:23 nin

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 17:14:
Anyone been playing Blink this weekend? While I like the premise, I am finding the gameplay kind of crappy. I die all the time, and have no idea how, then spend 30s on my back waiting for some medic to revive me. Even for $5, I think it's a pass. Has anyone else had a more positive experience?

One of my biggest gripes with the game was the offense would capture points, but you couldn't respawn there. So you either laid there waiting on a medic, or you respawned all the way back at the beginning, and had to run back. This, combined with some obvious choke points on maps, really killed the game, I thought.

15. Blink Dec 3, 2011, 17:14 jdreyer

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2011, 16:59 Hoop

Centre yourself Blue, use the beard.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Starship Troopers Dec 3, 2011, 16:57 jdreyer

Today you could make a more faithful adaptation of the book than Verhoeven's movie, especially considering how much more CG could be used. You could actually have the powered armor, and film the scenes the way Heinlein actually wrote them.

That being said, I think Verhoeven took the right approach to the material. The book is pretty overtly Fascist, and given the lack of success of that political system, satire of said system is the only approach to avoid a critical backlash. Just look at the critical reception of Atlas Shrugged earlier this year, when a totally serious approach to ideology was tried.

As for the camp factor of the 1997 film, the book itself is campy with fake bombs that say "bang" and silliness like that. Verhoeven didn't have to stretch things too far.

I think the original movie holds up very well today, and doesn't NEED a remake, but I think someone like Michael Bay could make a pretty awesome action film from the material. But I'm more interested in seeing Prometheus and Looper.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2011, 16:50 Cutter

Well, the Romans had that sort of scorched earth policy. Harm a Roamn citizen and you and your people would be punished big time. Every great empire that lasted had the same sort of policy. Get on board with us, pay your tribute/taxes, be cool and things will go well for you. Don't and you're up shit creek.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2011, 16:21 PHJF

And some other book with incest being fine.

Considering incest was perfectly normal until recent years, why would that be "crazy"?

If a homeless person was taken off the streets of America and put in North Korean prison

How about if the person imprisoned were, say, Steve Carell?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2011, 14:59 Charlie_Six

I find Heinlein's works to be somewhat disturbing in premise... as a sci-fi author he is supposed to have a crazy imagination.. but there are times where I wonder about the author's mind..

There's that one book where the whole premise is black people take over the world and white people are eaten by them, I think. And some other book with incest being fine.

In Starship Troopers, I believe one of the teachers suggests that if just one citizen of a country's population is taken hostage by some other country, it's perfectly fine to have a war which kills off millions of people on both sides, just to save that one hostage. It's totally worth it, in the teacher's mind. Ummm... yeah I dunno.
It's a weird way of seeing things, for one. If a homeless person was taken off the streets of America and put in North Korean prison... trust me, no one in America is going to give a crap. Millions will not die and no one will care. But I guess Heinlein, who seemed to be talking through that teacher, thinks it's worth it? EHhh....

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2011, 14:51 xXBatmanXx

Test from kindle fire.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2011, 14:26 Rossafur

Of course, we're still hoping that a re-make will actually be a faithful adaptation of the novel, because the first movie was a satire on fascism/patriotism, and in the process, basically a parody of the novel. That said, I still really enjoyed the (first) movie for its action scenes, and have been continually disappointed by the dismal video game adaptations and straight-to-dvd sequels. Maybe, just MAYBE this reboot can get it heading towards a better legacy? I don't want to get my hopes up, though. Hollywood has a far longer track record of re-heating turds and ending up with... a re-heated turd (or crapping all over classics), than producing something like the Batman reboot.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo