Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch

The Word of Notch announces that Markus 'Notch' Persson is stepping down as lead developer on Minecraft:

As of yesterday, Jens Bergensten is the new lead developer on Minecraft. He will have the final say in all design decisions, so he will kinda sorta become my boss, I guess. Ive promised him to not pull rank. ;)

Weve been working together on Minecraft for a year now, and Im amazed at how much in synch we two are when it comes to how to design the game. And when we dont agree, we discuss it and something much better comes out at a result. Hes truly a great person to work with, and I feel very confident handing over the leadership of Minecraft to him.

If you want to contact Jens, hes on twitter as @jeb_, or you can email him at jeb@mojang.com

Personally, I will now rest for a while, then get back to work refreshed and eager. Ill be helping out with Minecraft, of course, but also starting work on some new project.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 3, 2011, 16:16 Sepharo

Sounds like he invited some internet trolls and then was upset when they trolled. I don't see how anyone can turn this around on Notch when the guys admit in their own responses that they speak in a "trollish" way.

"Oh don't worry! You were just joking/trolling? Your asshattery is forgiven!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 3, 2011, 15:15 nin

If anyone cared to really read everything

I read the first two links in your post...I'm not going to sit through a 5 minute video over it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 3, 2011, 14:24 Rigs

End of story.

Actually, far from it. If anyone cared to really read everything, Notch, in his infinite wisdom, came out to be the asshat. 'The Yogs' were apparently floored when they were asked about what happened. They thought it had gone well but Notch opened his mouth and promptly tried to squeeze both feet in as 'The Yogs' were on their way back to their native England. So, yeah, not really the most important piece of drama in the world, but I'd rather read about that than watch idiots on the tv take turns telling whoever will listen what they think Mr. Herman Cain is gonna do or why they think the Penn State coach shoulda not been fired over Mr. Butterfingers...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

30. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 3, 2011, 13:45 nin

Sooo, I'm guessing everyone either missed this or forgot about it?

Or didn't care. Sounds like the yogs were asshats. End of story.

29. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 3, 2011, 08:50 Rigs

Sooo, I'm guessing everyone either missed this or forgot about it?

(http://www.bluesnews.com/s/127812/etc)
etc. [Nov 23, 2011, 11:26 am ET] - 1 Comment

Help from Hell - Assassin's Creed- Revelations FAQ/Walkthrough
Official Minecon drama discussion thread and My Experience with the Yogscast team at MineCon and About Yogscast & Notch. Attempts to capture some of the drama of Minecon. Thanks Rigs

When I read the announcement he was 'stepping down', I immediately thought it had to do with this little 'open mouth, insert foot' disaster at Minecon a few weeks ago...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 3, 2011, 02:40 Razumen

Mead wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 23:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 15:25:
Not sure where the "mods need support" line comes from, given that theres like 6 billion huge mods that work just fine without.. ehm, dedicated support...

Granted you gotta edit the game files directly but i'd rather do that than suffer any limitations in their planned mod-support. Also theres already mod-support in a sense, given that theres mod-loaders abound that even allow access to different api's (so already superior to anything an official mod support could even do).
The only reason there are big successful mods right now is because a group of people (The Minecraft Coder Pack team) is dedicated to de-obfuscating and generally unfucking the obfuscated code. If that wasn't happening, you wouldn't see nearly as many people bothering with it. Support would come in the context of them not having to expend so much effort just to get things workable for modders.

^^^ This. Every time there's a major update to MC most modders have to wait until the Coder Pack team go in and update their tools. Obviously this results in a lot of wasted time when IF mod support was in the game people go in and update their mods right away. Also, with support you make it easier for users to instal mods and possibly for servers to share mods they are running.

27. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 23:48 Mead

Not sure where the "mods need support" line comes from, given that theres like 6 billion huge mods that work just fine without.. ehm, dedicated support...

Granted you gotta edit the game files directly but i'd rather do that than suffer any limitations in their planned mod-support. Also theres already mod-support in a sense, given that theres mod-loaders abound that even allow access to different api's (so already superior to anything an official mod support could even do).
The only reason there are big successful mods right now is because a group of people (The Minecraft Coder Pack team) is dedicated to de-obfuscating and generally unfucking the obfuscated code. If that wasn't happening, you wouldn't see nearly as many people bothering with it. Support would come in the context of them not having to expend so much effort just to get things workable for modders.

26. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 22:45 Alamar

nin wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 15:29:
Talutha wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 15:27:
space captain wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 15:18:
Tavil wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 10:58:
space captain wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 10:55:
thanks for all the money, see ya

Thats a bit uncalled for.

except it isnt

I believe it is. You pre-ordered a product which was then finished and delivered. His end of the contract is completed, what more do you feel you deserve?

By replying to him, you're giving him the attention he so deeply craves.

Perhaps, but I agree with 'sc', or more accurately, what I perceive his very-much-lacking detail comment meant.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with being a one-shot-wonder and cashing out. In many ways, and not being into 'celebrityism', I think it's better...

-Alamar

25. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 22:42 tuddies

MOD SUPPORT as in source code availability and possibly increasing the sprite and block limits which are a real problem with multiple mods.

yes, forge does deal with this, but it is a kludge and another prerequisite to install

24. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 20:19 Sepharo

The only change here is that he's letting Jeb have the final say. Hasn't the majority of development over the past year been from Jeb anyway?  

23. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 19:30 Lorcin

Quick Jens, he gave you a torch, BURN IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN.  

22. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 19:15 Korrd

Donkey_Punch wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 17:55:
They announced they would do this before Minecon and then promptly broke that promise with every single Beta release.
As a developer, Mojang is incredibly disorganized. Better not take an inventory of promises or plans made and then forgotten about/broken/poorly implemented; it's a depressing list. Maybe Jens will fare better at the helm, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

21. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 19:05 Ventura

From a certain point of view, this happened months ago. Notch's heart hasn't been in it for a while.

That said, the bit about him taking a rest for a while is a little amusing. Most people work, and every so often, they take a holiday. This year, Notch has been on holiday, and every so often, he's done a little work.

Granted, he can now afford to live his life this way, so good for him.

20. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 17:55 Donkey_Punch

I suspect this is actually good news. For the last year or so it seems Notch lost his steam for the project.

I really wish they would stick to their promise of focusing on bug fixes first before adding new features. They announced they would do this before Minecon and then promptly broke that promise with every single Beta release.

19. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 16:00 CommunistHamster

Minecraft should end up as 3d terraria.  

18. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 15:35 space captain

I believe it is. You pre-ordered a product which was then finished and delivered. His end of the contract is completed, what more do you feel you deserve?

i believe it isnt

where did you get the idea that i feel that i deserve something more?

fuckin thought police over here with the self-righteous bullshit... get over yourselves damn

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 15:32 saluk

Anyone who didn't see this coming months ago wasn't paying attention. Notch is a starter, he needs to be free to go start stuff.  

16. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 15:29 nin

except it isnt

By replying to him, you're giving him the attention he so deeply craves.

15. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 15:27 Talutha

except it isnt

14. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 15:25 eRe4s3r

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo