Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates

The Battlefield Blog has release dates for the Back to Karkand expansion for Battlefield 3. Word is the add-on will come for the PlayStation 3 on December 6th, and on December 13th for Windows PC and Xbox 360. Word is: "If you pre-ordered Battlefield 3: Limited Edition, you will receive this expansion pack at no extra charge. Anyone else can buy it through the in-game store (on consoles), PlayStation Store (PS3), Xbox Live Marketplace (Xbox 360), or on Origin (PC). Come back next week for more epic gameplay footage from Back to Karkand, and have a great gaming weekend!"

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 3, 2011, 13:48 RoTide

I can't wait for Wake Island! I've had so much fun on that map in the past!

That being said, I am a server admin and I probably won't put it in my rotation. Why? I don't feel like having the server die out when, eventually, 50% of the playerbase doesn't have that "expansion".

Map switches to Wake, the normal attrition rate of 15-20% kicks in due to people having IRL stuff to do and then blammo, half the server drops due to not having the map. 70% of the server just emptied and now the rest don't see a point in sticking around. Empty server.

There is that issue, plus just the idea of even going along with their plan of monetizing maps is just.. ughhhhh.. Back in the day this would have been a "point release" and they would have been free, oh, and the release itself wouldn't have cost a dime.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: The real change-log; Client R3 + Server R11 on 6DEC Dec 3, 2011, 11:40 Sphinx

Bucky wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 00:45:
Once this patch lands, I'll be playing BF3 again. Lots of excellent balance work in there.

I think so too. Especially the tweaks to SOFLAM and fixing guided shells hitting fast targets

-Sphinx

27. Re: The real change-log; Client R3 + Server R11 on 6DEC Dec 3, 2011, 00:45 Bucky

Once this patch lands, I'll be playing BF3 again. Lots of excellent balance work in there.  

26. The real change-log; Client R3 + Server R11 on 6DEC Dec 2, 2011, 23:08 Kevlar

CHANGELOG OF UPCOMING CHANGES:
FROM THIS FORUM TACTICAL GAMER

From MikaelKalms

Hi all,

We will release an update to the PC version of BF3 on Dec 6th -- that is, Tuesday morning around 8AM GMT next week. This coincides with an upgrade of many of our central systems which will be down for some hours starting around that time.

It will be both a client update -- approximately 2GB in size -- and a server update.

The client/server combination will be incompatible with older clients/servers. All players will be prompted to download the update once it has been released. All RSP companies will begin upgrading their servers at the same time.

The client update is large because it contains most of the content for Back to Karkand. This is not ideal, so we aim to make potential DLC content in the future as optional downloads.

Bugfixes:
Fixed a problem with spawn timer now showing blue border on startup and lost spawn point
Fixed a problem where player who joined queuing on End of round got spawn screen stuck on screen, but unable to do anything with it untill next round loaded
Fixed a problem where camera would change to 3rd person on killcam when killcam was turned off in server settings
Fixed stat references on several dogtags
Fixed for surveillance ribbon not counting TUGS
Fixed a missing combat area lines on the minimap for Grand Bazaar conquest small
Moved a tank spawn in US base on Caspian Border so it would not be destroyed by a falling tree
Fixed a problem where placing C4 with the russians soldier was playing US faction VO
Fixed a problem where TV guided missiles could be shot into its own helicopter and destroy it
Fixed a problem when attempting to fire lock on weapons without a target
Tweaked the chat, it should now be a bit easier to read
Fixed several vehicles that did not properly shoot rockets and guns towards their predictive sights
Fixed the G17 Supressed Laser not working properly
Added alternate HUD colors to help colorblinds
Added a network interpolation setting. This allows users with good bandwidth reduce latency, but might increase some stuttering. The user can find what works best for his connection by tweaking the slider.
Increased the Spawn protection radius on TDM
Fixed a problem with smoke on land vehicles, Missiles should now miss more often
Fixed a problem where users could end up with IRNV scope in any vehicle
Fixed a problem where player dies if vaulting over a ledge and into water while sprinting
Fixed several crashes and increased general stability
Fixed a problem where the user was unable to revive two players that have the bodies one over the other
Fixed so you can assign an axis and use as a digital input. This makes it possible for the player (on pc) to assign one of the sticks on a gameped to be used for throttle/brake.
Fixed a problem with the Kill camera acting up when suiciding from parachute
Fixed air radar was showing to much. now lasertagged, heatsignature above threshold, enemy missiles and capture points are only visible on air radar
Fixed a problem where the game would enter a technical hang if the user pressed pause menu and tilde at the same time
Fixed a problem where you could get green flashes on screen
You can now reassign cycle weapons
Fixed so the weapon zooms automatically after bipod deploy is gone when using zoom toggle
Fixed a problem where the parachute would stay stuck in air if the owner was killed

Balance Tweaks:
Fixed several weapons so they are properly suppressed and hide the player on the minimap when fired.
Tweaked Tactical Light so it is not as blinding over longer ranges.
Tweaked the IRNV scope so it is limited to usage only at close range.
Reduced heat masking effectiveness of Spec Ops Camo.
Fixed a bug where Ammo spec would give additional 40mm grenades instead of Frag spec.
Increased the number of additional 40mm grenades from Frag spec.
Fixed so AT mines only live for 20 seconds after a player dies to prevent infinite mines. (We want to make a different fix in the future, itís in JIRA).
Increased the Time to Live on sniper caliber rounds to allow extreme distance shots.
Fixed several weapon descriptions, calibers, and fire rates. The weapons themselves have not changed.
Fixed so the M9 and MP443 pistol can be equipped by the opposing faction when it is unlocked at 100 kills.
Fixed Laser Guided Missiles missing their targets if the target is moving too fast.
Reduced the effectiveness of Stealth on Air Vehicles.
Reduced the effectiveness of Beam Scanning for Jets.
Reduced the damage done to Armored Vehicles and Infantry from AA guns.
Increased the damage RPGs and Tank shells do to AA vehicles.
Slightly decreased the accuracy for all weapons on fully automatic, burst fire is now preferable at mid to long range.
Increased the effective accuracy of long bursts for LMGs when using a bipod.
Slightly increased the range of the 44magnum bullets.
Increased the close range damage of 4.6x30mm and 5.7x28mm bullets.
Increased the reload time of the Mortar from 3.5sec to 4.8sec and increased the time it takes before a shell hits the ground.
Reduced the aimed accuracy bonus given by a Suppressor for the MP7, P90, PP2000, PP-19, and UMP45.
Increased the range and FOV for designating targets with the SOFLAM and vehicle Laser Designators.
Decreased the effectiveness of 12g FRAG ammo when equipped on semi-automatic and automatic shotguns.
Slightly Increased the power of Fighter Jet Cannons against all vehicle targets, especially Helicopters.
Decreased the power of Miniguns against Jets and Helicopters.
Increased the power of Stingers against Jets.
Flares reload times for Jets and Helicopter Gunners have been increased.
Tweaked the AN94 so its burst fire better conveys the real world advantage offered by this weapon.
Added Single Shot to the AN94 as an available fire mode.
Slightly increased the recoil on the M416 and removed the Burst Fire mode (this weapon incorrectly had burst fire, which was not authentic).
Tweaked the spawns for TDM on Kharg Island, Grand Bazaar, Caspian Border, Seine Crossing, Operation Firestorm, Damavand Peak and Noshahar Canals
Moved a tank spawn in US base on Caspian Border so it would not be destroyed by a falling tree
Tweaked the Gas station Capture area on Conquest on Caspian Border
Tweaked the max vehicle height on Noshahar Canals

Also, it will once again be possible to reduce the number of players required to start a round to 1 both in ranked and unranked mode. We changed it back after getting a lot of negative feedback from both individuals and the RSP companies.

Our plan is to introduce a warm-up mode, where players can move about and play the game, but with scoring disabled; then, when the number of players goes above the threshold -- that's when the real round starts.

25. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 16:29 Verno

There's all kinds of cosmetic things they could've monetized, and all of that is preferable to monetizing maps IMHO.

I'm in total agreement with you there and I really wanted to see more MP maps at release. I think my opinion is colored a bit by the general dislike I have for several of them though. If they were all well designed I'd probably be fine with the initial release.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

24. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 16:15 SXO

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 15:57:
Also I'd like to reiterate the hypocrisy of EA claiming to be against map packs because the division it creates in the online community, then releasing one and trying to mask it by calling it something else. And I say that as someone who owns the Limited Edition and will be getting the maps for free.

All of the publishers are full of shit unfortunately, that's pretty much par for the course. In the end however the community gets to decide the server rotations, not EA/Dice and I'm not sure I want that "playlist" style experience from Xbox Live/Actision/etc. Any time you have post-release content at all you will get community division, I don't think it's unreasonable for either Activision or EA to produce content after the fact. I think it's fair to say the game should have shipped with more multiplayer maps and less of a focus on the SP campaign however.
So we're on the same page, just not on the same paragraph it seems. We're largely in agreement, but I would've liked to see them release the maps for free and found other ways to monetize additional content, much like Valve has done with TF2. For instance, most of the camo unlocks in the game could've easily been sold as optional content. I know I would've definitely paid for the Multi-cam (known as Paratrooper camo for U.S. side) if I had to, and honestly aside from the Spec Ops camo under the IRNV sight, none of them give anyone a serious advantage. There's all kinds of cosmetic things they could've monetized, and all of that is preferable to monetizing maps IMHO.

23. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 16:06 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:17:
The game is pretty well balanced imo, except that OP USAS shotgun with the frag rounds that is crazy.

Eh I don't know, the game feels very poorly balanced right now between some overpowered attachments/unlocks and some glaring map design issues. They really need to take another balance pass at both the maps and attachments. Some of the unlocks are really unfair too, I have guided shell in the tank and its basically a win button versus any tank driver who lacks it unless he has 2 pocket engineers. Damavand Peak CQ needs a revisit, Firestorm needs its points spread out and so on. The Recon kit in general is so situational and the gadgets so limited that it's almost useless. It's all fixable stuff for sure but Dice needs to actually start doing something about it.

BtK will bring back a lot of players but they'll just be gone again afterward if they don't start addressing issues.

Yes, there is more to it than just autoshotty+frag. LMGs shouldn't have zoom, silencers, or extended mags(they don't use mags, certain guns may be appropriate for larger drums based on real world use). Thermal vision shouldn't even be in the game. There shouldn't be a fully automatic(or de facto) handgun that is as powerful as the current one is. etc

And yes, some of the maps are too poorly thought out and favor one team, or essentially ends the map prematurely once a particular point is reached(losing all the CPs in metro as the subway spawn, for instance).

22. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 15:58 bhcompy

spindoctor wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 15:43:
SXO wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 14:49:
That being said, I think everybody needs to take a step back and look at what EA is actually doing.

Everybody can see it. It's just that because it's Battlefield, they give it a free pass. Or more accurately, because it's not Call of Duty, they give it a free pass.

If people found out that Activision was creating a map pack 6 months before release and it would have 4 old maps in it, they would be screaming bloody murder. But when Battlefield does it, hypocrisy kicks in and everyone is okay with it. Everyone complains about how Call of Duty costs 60$, but BF3 is a 75$ game on release day unless you pre-ordered it and everyone is cool with it.

Problem is you're not looking hard enough. Gamestop, Best Buy, etc still have pre-release copies(aka Limited Edition) that come with the expansion bundled in. I went to Gamestop on Black Friday and bought the game(with Karkand) for $40. Best Buy had it for $30, but they had no PC copies in store(not unexpected).

21. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 15:57 Verno

I'd like to respond to one thing you said about expansion packs being part of the FPS genre for a long time. I completely agree, but my arguement is whether the volume of content in "Back to Karkand" should really be considered an expansion when in fact it more closely rsembles the size of the "Booster Packs" we've seen for the older BF games.

Ignoring the lame blah blah read my post blah blah.. We won't really know for sure until we see it drop IMO, the number of maps alone isn't always the barometer for the amount of content. The quality, what new/old vehicles are there and so on all matter. I think the quality of what is delivered matters more than the silly label they give it. I will say that I'm not a fan of them continually rehashing so many old maps instead of providing genuinely new content but there isn't much I can do about it on a personal level. I played the glorified demo of the game and decided it was worth the money regardless of the post-release content.

Activision does the rehash routine with their popular maps but not on the same scale that EA has so far.

Also I'd like to reiterate the hypocrisy of EA claiming to be against map packs because the division it creates in the online community, then releasing one and trying to mask it by calling it something else. And I say that as someone who owns the Limited Edition and will be getting the maps for free.

All of the publishers are full of shit unfortunately, that's pretty much par for the course. In the end however the community gets to decide the server rotations, not EA/Dice and I'm not sure I want that "playlist" style experience from Xbox Live/Actision/etc. Any time you have post-release content at all you will get community division, I don't think it's unreasonable for either Activision or EA to produce content after the fact. I think it's fair to say the game should have shipped with more multiplayer maps and less of a focus on the SP campaign however.

20. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 15:45 Vitalious

Is this real?!  

19. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 15:44 Vitalious

Is this for real?!  

18. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 15:43 spindoctor

That being said, I think everybody needs to take a step back and look at what EA is actually doing.

Everybody can see it. It's just that because it's Battlefield, they give it a free pass. Or more accurately, because it's not Call of Duty, they give it a free pass.

If people found out that Activision was creating a map pack 6 months before release and it would have 4 old maps in it, they would be screaming bloody murder. But when Battlefield does it, hypocrisy kicks in and everyone is okay with it. Everyone complains about how Call of Duty costs 60$, but BF3 is a 75$ game on release day unless you pre-ordered it and everyone is cool with it.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

17. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 15:41 SXO

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 15:22:
Stuff about maps

I can't disagree with most of your statement but just a few points:

- this game only has 9 maps, some of them not so great. It needs more.
- Expansion packs have been an FPS thing for a long time, even before the BF series itself. Heck even BF1942 had expansions for example.
- Server admins can decide how to structure their rotation to allow for people to get an uninterrupted experience. Dice shouldn't be the ones making that decision, there are pros and cons to both approaches.

I sympathize with your position but in this case EA was upfront from the beginning about the BtK stuff being a bonus for preorders. It sucks if you waited for after release but it's the modern publisher method of making money in a world filled with cheap regional keys and used sales on the console side of things.
Please if you plan to quote me, at least read my entire post. I'd like to respond to one thing you said about expansion packs being part of the FPS genre for a long time. I completely agree, but my arguement is whether the volume of content in "Back to Karkand" should really be considered an expansion when in fact it more closely rsembles the size of the "Booster Packs" we've seen for the older BF games.

16. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 15:22 Verno

Stuff about maps

I can't disagree with most of your statement but just a few points:

- this game only has 9 maps, some of them not so great. It needs more.
- Expansion packs have been an FPS thing for a long time, even before the BF series itself. Heck even BF1942 had expansions for example.
- Server admins can decide how to structure their rotation to allow for people to get an uninterrupted experience. Dice shouldn't be the ones making that decision, there are pros and cons to both approaches.

I sympathize with your position but in this case EA was upfront from the beginning about the BtK stuff being a bonus for preorders. It sucks if you waited for after release but it's the modern publisher method of making money in a world filled with cheap regional keys and used sales on the console side of things.

15. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 14:50 tuddies

BF3 is the bomb! I am sure I will be playing it 5 years from now as I did with BF2.

Now, PLEASE add local servers and bots! That would be so very, very cool!

14. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 14:49 SXO

So EA's cleverly disguised Map Pack really is garnering lots of positive attention. So sad how sheep-like the playing audience is these days.

I guess I should've prefaced this by saying that I love Battlefield 3, and I did pre-order and will be recieving the Back to Karkand "expansion" for free.

That being said, I think everybody needs to take a step back and look at what EA is actually doing. I vividly recall them condemning Activision over charging people for "Map Packs" back when they were still promoting Bad Company 2. They specifically stated how map packs are bad for the community because it divides the playerbase, among other things, and that they were committed to releasing free maps. Ofcourse the "free maps" for Bad Company 2 all turned out to be existing maps with alternate modes, and the only DLC they charged for was a texture which was already in the game.

They did eventually release an expansion in the form of BC2: Vietnam, which included 5 maps along with all new weapons and vehicles (which I enjoyed and found much value in). This expansion was successful, so now EA believes the magic word is "expansion." So for BF3, even before the game launched they set DICE about making a map pack, a remake of some of the best BF2 maps ever. But this map pack would not and could not be free, they needed something to promote pre-orders and dissuade used game sales. So they added some garnishment in the form of 10 redundant weapons, and 3 vehicles that were being made for the base game and didn't make the cut. Next they slap the word "expansion" on it and charge $15 for it.

Most of my friends pre-ordered the game. Most, not all, some actually waited for reviews, others still had never even played a BF game until we recommended it to them. The few who hadn't gotten the "Limited Edition" now have to spend another $15 on top of their original $60 in order to ensure they won't be plucked out of a server we're all playing on together if the map rotation includes any of the new maps. Way to go EA, you managed to split the gaming community not even 3 months into the game's release.

This almost reminds me of another BF games with a similar fate. Oh yes, Battlefield 2142, except the acronym "DLC" hadn't been coined yet, and back then "Expansion" could not be used on such meagher content, so they stuck to their "Booster Pack" term. Northern Strike succeeded in splitting the 2142 community into haves and have nots, and was about the same size as this "Expansion" DLC known as Back to Karkand.

13. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 14:45 Verno

Finally, here we are gents:

Actual patchnotes, release date supposedly Dec. 6.

My highlights, lots of awesome shit in here that should make the game awesome again:

- Increased stinger effectiveness vs Jets (I swear this is reverting a change from a week ago)
- Slight mortar nerf
- Raised flight ceiling on Canals
- Tweaked Gas Station capture on Caspian
- Jet main gun damage increased
- CTD/blackscreen fixes
- AT mines only persist for 20 seconds after death
- Frag ammo nerfed when used in shotguns
- IRNV nerf
- Taclight Nerf
- AA vehicle nerf
- Fixes to TV/Laser guided missiles
- SOFLAM range/FOV increased

Also, it will once again be possible to reduce the number of players required to start a round to 1 both in ranked and unranked mode. We changed it back after getting a lot of negative feedback from both individuals and the RSP companies.

12. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 13:42 Bucky

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 12:33:
Matshock wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:33:
I pre-ordered so I'll be happy to play Karkand while waiting for them to improve the other maps.

Some balance fixes on the unlocks have been blogged about by DICE- flashlight and IRNV nerfs are on deck. I haven't heard anything about frag rounds or guided tank rounds yet though.

Guided tank rounds by themselves are fine, it's the fact that they're a fairly deep in MBT unlock that's kind of shitty. Just an example of the types of balance problems present in the unlock system. They managed to get most of the guns close together in terms of performance but the attachments/unlocks are where the problem lies IMO.

I hate to say it, but CoD:Black Ops had one of the best unlocking systems, in my opinion. At a certain level the weapon would unlock, then you spent cash for whichever weapon attachments you wanted. Allowing for some level of discretionary unlocking on the players part is still the best way to go, I think.

11. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 12:33 Verno

Matshock wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:33:
I pre-ordered so I'll be happy to play Karkand while waiting for them to improve the other maps.

Some balance fixes on the unlocks have been blogged about by DICE- flashlight and IRNV nerfs are on deck. I haven't heard anything about frag rounds or guided tank rounds yet though.

Guided tank rounds by themselves are fine, it's the fact that they're a fairly deep in MBT unlock that's kind of shitty. Just an example of the types of balance problems present in the unlock system. They managed to get most of the guns close together in terms of performance but the attachments/unlocks are where the problem lies IMO.

10. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 11:55 Fibrocyte

You don't need to pay more than $19 for BF3. I got it from here: http://online.1c.ru/games/game/11403507/ - then converted it to English. Works perfectly and thousands of others have done the same with no issue.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo