Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BRINK Free Weekend

The Steam Website is now offering a 75% off sale on BRINK, kicking off a free play weekend for Splash Damage's first-person shooter. Here's a refresher on the game:

Brink is an immersive first-person shooter that blends single-player, co-op, and multiplayer gameplay into one seamless experience, allowing you to develop your character whether playing alone, with your friends, or against others online. You decide the combat role you want to assume in the world of Brink as you fight to save yourself and mankindís last refuge. Brink offers a compelling mix of dynamic battlefields, extensive customization options, and an innovative control system that will keep you coming back for more.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 00:25 Teddy

Gunz wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 00:22:
So... when I first saw dev diary shorts on Xbox Live (when the game was mid development)they talked a LOT about the context-sensitive, one-button-activated, vault/slide/wall walk maneuvers you could pull off using nothing but the game geometry -- ala run up to a laser trip wire, hit the magic button, and you do a cool move like leap and tumble over it... or slide under it. Did they keep that rather cool looking feature in the game or did they dump it and pretend it never existed?

It's there. Sadly, for some reason they decided to make you unlock the other body types, with lightweight being the last, so you didn't really get to experience it in it's fullest unless you bothered to play the game enough to unlock that (which wasn't all that far in, but still felt like a chore getting there to me).

It has issues, but when you get the hang of it, it's a pretty damn cool idea if you ask me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 00:22 Gunz

So... when I first saw dev diary shorts on Xbox Live (when the game was mid development)they talked a LOT about the context-sensitive, one-button-activated, vault/slide/wall walk maneuvers you could pull off using nothing but the game geometry -- ala run up to a laser trip wire, hit the magic button, and you do a cool move like leap and tumble over it... or slide under it. Did they keep that rather cool looking feature in the game or did they dump it and pretend it never existed?  

7. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 00:21 Teddy

Bucky wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 23:49:
The only good thing about Brink is that it has made me much more cautious when it comes to pre-orders.

I haven't been so disappointed by a game in a long, long time.

Don't know about it being the only good thing... I think the fluid movement system in Brink is a step in the right direction and something the FPS genre in general desperately needs. Just about everything else in the game fell flat on it's face, but playing the levels as a lightweight with the ability to climb over high walls and fences, wall jump/walk to get to otherwise unreachable areas...

That's the sort of freedom that could help the genre break away from the overly restrictive feel of movement in most shooters these days. Battlefield 3 took a note from it with it's fluid vaulting, which while it behaves oddly on occasion is a very nice step forward from the old walk up to item, stop, press ACTION key to mantle, watch animation, stop, then go.

Between Brink and Mirror's Edge, they brought a lot of new ideas to movement in general in first person games. I just pray that innovation like that doesn't get overlooked just because the games sold poorly thanks mostly to other faults.

6. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 1, 2011, 23:49 Bucky

The only good thing about Brink is that it has made me much more cautious when it comes to pre-orders.

I haven't been so disappointed by a game in a long, long time.

5. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 1, 2011, 22:34 Brumbek

Worst FPS I've played in ages. I mean maybe Extreme Paintbrawl from 1995 was worse. But seriously, Brink was COMPLETE RUBBISH.  

4. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 1, 2011, 22:04 |oR|jonvall

I have zero expectations...in fact I didn't hear one thing about it leading up to it's release. I played it on one of the free weekends they had....it wasn't a bad game....I wasn't motivated enough to buy it though....only because nobody else I knew played it and I was way deep in APB..

It's a shame...it wasn't a bad game....

3. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 1, 2011, 21:29 xXBatmanXx

Sacrifex wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 21:09:
Unfortunately, even at a cost of zero dollars, you're being cruelly cheated out of the time you spend on it.

The game may possibly have stood a chance had Splash Damage responded to critics early, fixed the tech issues/bugs, and released more content in month one/two. Instead, they still have a buggy pile months later, released extra content way too late to stop players from jumping ship, and just now got to coding in some of their promised improvements from a long time ago.

At this point, the game can never even crack the Steam top 100 - which, for essentially a Multiplayer only game (the AI is amongst the worst I've seen in recent times), is a very, very bad thing.

It's a shame, because I badly wanted it to live up to even a portion of the hype it generated.

I had a lot of hope for this game. I was utterly disappointed. I feel the same way you do. It could have been really damn cool....and they dropped the ball. My game never did recover from the "crouch and shoot BSOD".

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 1, 2011, 21:15 panbient

But Team Fortress 2 is free EVERY weekend (and has way more players).  

1. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 1, 2011, 21:09 Sacrifex

Unfortunately, even at a cost of zero dollars, you're being cruelly cheated out of the time you spend on it.

The game may possibly have stood a chance had Splash Damage responded to critics early, fixed the tech issues/bugs, and released more content in month one/two. Instead, they still have a buggy pile months later, released extra content way too late to stop players from jumping ship, and just now got to coding in some of their promised improvements from a long time ago.

At this point, the game can never even crack the Steam top 100 - which, for essentially a Multiplayer only game (the AI is amongst the worst I've seen in recent times), is a very, very bad thing.

It's a shame, because I badly wanted it to live up to even a portion of the hype it generated.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo