Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

South Park: The Game Announced

THQ and South Park Digital Studios announce South Park: The Game, which is coming to Windows PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 in the second half of next year. Word is this is "an epic role-playing adventure that will allow the user to befriend Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny and explore the quiet little mountain town like never before." More details are promised in the January issue of Game Informer magazine, and in the meantime they have an online tease saying the game's developer is Obsidian Entertainment.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 3, 2011, 19:16 Ant

PHJF wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 20:52:
I actually got South Park for N64. Yeah, I was young and South Park was really taking off... at least I had the sense even then to realize after the fact what a horrible decision that had been.
Wow, your parents bought it for you and allowed you to play it?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 3, 2011, 19:14 Ant

Beamer wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:49:
Blue wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:06:
StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 10:58:
Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 08:49:
South Park is just stupid and generally very immature (more so than the MacFarlane shows).

This is like bizarro world to me. In my experience South Park is clever satire masked by silly humor while the MacFarlane shows are just empty silly humor with no real intelligence.

^^^^ This.

^^^^ This.
/me farts.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 12:29 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 04:10:
No one's done a decent comic adventure since Grim Fandango, this could be fucking awesome if done right.
Agreed. As someone that doesn't really like modern RPGs (especially post-apoc and sword & board), I think a South Park RPG could be a blast.

23. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 11:49 Beamer

Blue wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:06:
South Park is just stupid and generally very immature (more so than the MacFarlane shows).

This is like bizarro world to me. In my experience South Park is clever satire masked by silly humor while the MacFarlane shows are just empty silly humor with no real intelligence.

^^^^ This.

^^^^ This.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 11:06  Blue 

^^^^ This.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

21. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 10:58 StingingVelvet

20. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 09:24 Verno

That's kind of the point of the show. They underscore the absurdity of things by forcing people to look at it in a juvenile perspective. I thought that was pretty evident in the format and setting its presented in. It allows them to go after issues that Family Guy and American Dad wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

My only comment with something like South Park or Family Guy is that criticism is a lot easier than solution. It's only entertainment though so I don't expect the creators to feel a sense of social responsibility.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

19. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 08:49 Fibrocyte

InBlack wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 08:09:
Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 07:13:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 00:26:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 23:47:
Recent SP episodes have kind of sucked as they have kind of lost interest in SP

Disagree. They've been just as hilarious and smart as ever.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Over the years the guys from South Park poked fun at a lot of people. So under which category are you Fibrocyte?

White Supremacist? Black Supremacist? Religious (fanatical) NUT? Richard Dawkins? Babara Streisand? (I could go on, but the list is basically without end)

Common own up, and be a man about it.

You were close but you missed me: Religious Supremacist.

I think it is fine to poke fun at anyone and anything with no limit - Family Guy and American Dad do a great job of that.

18. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 08:33 Fauxcused

I love South Park. I love the idea of playing a South Park game.

There is ZERO chance I will purchase this. Why?

Obsidian Entertainment.

They do not understand quality control. I have been suckered into buying Obsidian games too many times in the past and I always, ALWAYS, end up kicking myself that I wasted money on a buggy POS.

Never again.

17. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 08:09 InBlack

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 07:13:

Over the years the guys from South Park poked fun at a lot of people. So under which category are you Fibrocyte?

White Supremacist? Black Supremacist? Religious (fanatical) NUT? Richard Dawkins? Babara Streisand? (I could go on, but the list is basically without end)

Common own up, and be a man about it.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 07:37 Drayth

Thinking I'm going to be able to crank the graphic settings up pretty high on this one....  

15. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 07:13 Fibrocyte

14. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 07:12 Fibrocyte

Sepharo wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 21:38:
Figured this woulda been mentioned in the summary.

"Parker and Stone are writing the script, performing the dialogue, and overseeing the development of South Park: The Game."

Maybe they left it out because it's a bad thing?

13. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 04:10 InBlack

With Obsidian at the helm, this game might end up being quite a lot of fun. Hell Fallout:NV turned out pretty great.

No one's done a decent comic adventure since Grim Fandango, this could be fucking awesome if done right.

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 03:07 Cutter

I'm guessing the game should be both pretty raunchy and funny. And I agree, South Park - for the most part - has gotten better with age.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 01:08 killer_roach

I'd say Season 11 is still my personal favorite, but 12-15 have had more quality episodes than most seasons (and certainly more than the first four, which haven't held up particularly well at all).

10. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 00:56 Fion

This season so far has been average with some seriously funny episodes here and there. I swear only south park gets BETTER as the years roll on.

The game may be the most awesome funny thing ever (especially if Matt * Trey are involved) or the worst game in years (if they aren't).

9. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 00:26 Sepharo

8. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 1, 2011, 23:47 jdreyer

Beavis and Butthead Virtual Stupidity was supposedly a pretty good game, although I never played it. But the reviews of it were mostly favorable, so I think that a good SP game could be made.

I think that a lot of it depends on Matt and Trey's level of passion. Recent SP episodes have kind of sucked as they have kind of lost interest in SP, where as the Book of Mormon was awesome. Maybe a game will rekindle their interest, being a new medium for them to work in. And we know they are big WoW fans.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 1, 2011, 23:30 killer_roach

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 21:40:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 21:38:
Figured this woulda been mentioned in the summary.

"Parker and Stone are writing the script, performing the dialogue, and overseeing the development of South Park: The Game."

With someone else writing the script Obsidian's strong suit goes right out the window though.

But without Trey and Matt the strong suit of the IP goes out the window. Wouldn't be surprised if people from Obsidian help South Park Studios flesh out the script and provide ideas, but it wouldn't be the same if it was just Obsidian.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo