Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers

AMD Support now offers new version 11.11c Catalyst performance drivers for AMD/ATI graphics cards. There seems to be just one new item in the patch notes: "Delivers AMD CrossFire performance scaling for the AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series" for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 3, 2011, 20:09 Ant

Overon wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 15:53:
These beta drivers have been coming fast and furious recently. If AMD and Nvidia did this for the whole year instead of just for the holiday buying season... all nvidia and amd consumers would be so happy.
I wouldn't be happy if I was gaming. Good thing I don't play computer games these days. I still use old drivers because they work and are stable.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 19:13 swaaye

DedEye wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 23:54:
Seems to work pretty good in Skyrim, so far at least.

I tried Skyrim on a X1950XTX and it worked 95% fine on the last drivers available for the card, Catalyst 10.2. There were some flickering textures but it was pretty minor really. Skyrim is essentially a hopped up Oblivion Gamebryo engine so this isn't too surprising.

RAGE, on the other hand, well they just got that game working well last week AFAIK. More than a month long crusade of embarrassment there.

22. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 13:58 Bludd

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 09:33:
Can you give us some examples of their poor developer relations Bludd? I'm not sure what AMD releasing drivers to fix bugs has to do with that either, AMD has a team that works with developers and publishers already. That doesn't mean publishers test against their hardware as thoroughly as they do for Nvidia, particularly in this day and age of console ports where the PC platform in general takes a backseat.

Still not impressed with AMD recently. My card requires Crossfire to perform properly and with games like RAGE and Skyrim it has taken weeks to months to support Crossfire and to perform well. I completed RAGE before they even supported Crossfire, though apparently SLI still isn't possible and likely won't be supported.

Crossfire and SLI will always be a niche thing unfortunately, I used to have just as many problems when I ran SLI cards. You're better off with a single card in most scenarios even if it is the highest priced SKU they offer.
Example is they have released 4 hotfixes in a month, they screwed up the Rage launch. Last year about this time they also released many hotfixes.

They seem to be on the back foot all the time and they do have devrel, but it isn't as good as nvidia's devrel and they need to get on top of that.

21. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 09:33 Verno

Can you give us some examples of their poor developer relations Bludd? I'm not sure what AMD releasing drivers to fix bugs has to do with that either, AMD has a team that works with developers and publishers already. That doesn't mean publishers test against their hardware as thoroughly as they do for Nvidia, particularly in this day and age of console ports where the PC platform in general takes a backseat.

Still not impressed with AMD recently. My card requires Crossfire to perform properly and with games like RAGE and Skyrim it has taken weeks to months to support Crossfire and to perform well. I completed RAGE before they even supported Crossfire, though apparently SLI still isn't possible and likely won't be supported.

Crossfire and SLI will always be a niche thing unfortunately, I used to have just as many problems when I ran SLI cards. You're better off with a single card in most scenarios even if it is the highest priced SKU they offer.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

20. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 07:42 Bludd

Dades wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 22:58:
Bludd wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 19:37:
AMD needs better devrel.

Let's call it what it is, sacks full of money.
You seem to think nvidia has unlimited money.

19. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 05:55 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 22:24:
Sadly, proper Crossfire support isn't going to change the fact that Skyrim is poorly optimized and requires a 4+ GHz CPU to run well in cities.
I dunno what it is but the game doesn't seem smooth, despite having a 4.6GHz processor and these drivers which add Crossfire support for my HD5970. Still, at least it's better than release as I had missing textures, missing body parts, could see through some walls and had a large number of crashes.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

18. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 04:06 Eldaron Imotholin

Offtopic

Anyone somehow have any news about when to expect the dx11 fix for Batman: AC? It looked much better. I wanna play in dx11 before I get into it too much.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

17. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 01:53 KilrathiAce

Anyone here got 6990 and try the drivers?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 23:54 DedEye

Seems to work pretty good in Skyrim, so far at least.

BF3 otoh, I still have to disable it.

15. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 22:58 Dades

Bludd wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 19:37:
AMD needs better devrel.

Let's call it what it is, sacks full of money.

14. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 22:24 Jerykk

Sadly, proper Crossfire support isn't going to change the fact that Skyrim is poorly optimized and requires a 4+ GHz CPU to run well in cities.  

13. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 19:37 Bludd

AMD needs better devrel.  

12. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 19:23 Silicon Avatar

I like all the driver updates.  

11. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 19:16 DedEye

As Finga noted, this is for Crossfire.

In my experience at least, all of the recent new games work just fine with any of the recent driver revisions from AMD....on a single GPU. It's when I try to use crossfire that I run into trouble.

I hadn't had a multi-GPU set up since the Voodoo 2 days. I was reluctant to try Crossfire but I had some extra dough kickin around last year so bought another card. I doubt that I will go with multi-gpu solutions in the future, as in my experience it is just not worth the headaches and expense.

10. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 18:44 finga

bozu wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 18:37:
There are certainly times when drivers are buggy and need fixed, but these minor revisions are just there to help their position on the charts. To be fair, though, I owned a Voodoo Rush, so I'm pretty happy with driver quality these days
Hi, before you make posts like this, you should probably learn the first thing about Crossfire, the failures this tech has had with the lack of driver updates in the newest games, or the concerns of those who have spent the money to double down (literally) on AMD technology.

9. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 18:37 bozu

Keep in mind that these are not mandatory updates. Skyrim ran fine with my manufacturer-installed drivers (no idea what rev they were, BootCamp handled it), it ran fine with the 11.11a, it ran fine with 11.11b.

I suspect that the primary reason for these driver updates is to perform as well as possible on the benchmarks that tech blogs are presenting to the enthusiast crowd. You can't fault them for this, and if you really are the sort who doesn't like installing drivers (doubtful if you're the sort who likes taking time to post on the internet about not liking to install drivers), just wait until the 11.12 or 12.1 or whatever revision number suits your fancy get released.

There are certainly times when drivers are buggy and need fixed, but these minor revisions are just there to help their position on the charts. To be fair, though, I owned a Voodoo Rush, so I'm pretty happy with driver quality these days

8. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 17:54 LittleMe

eunichron wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 17:46:
Then there seems to be a disconnect in GPU design and game coding then, because it is pretty ridiculous that new drivers are required for individual game releases. It calls into question why there are even standardized APIs if none of them work on the hardware that supposedly meets, and supports, those standards.

I completely agree. It's a very inconvenient thing to do. I'm not sure it's ATI's or nV's fault. It might be the DirectX driver/API model that is to blame. In other words, it could be Microsoft's fault due to poor design of DirectX.

When both ATI and nVidia are having these problems, I tend to think it's not entirely their fault for this situation. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of gamers who avoid PC gaming for this one issue.

I also think it's too easy to blame ATI for these problems. It looks to me like they are trying to keep people happy with new drivers. Hopefully one day we can ditch this constant driver updating.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 17:46 eunichron

LittleMe wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 17:11:
Bludd wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 17:07:
I'd rather have higher quality drivers than many updates in a short amount of time.

The new game releases are forcing them to. The quality is fine.

Then there seems to be a disconnect in GPU design and game coding then, because it is pretty ridiculous that new drivers are required for individual game releases. It calls into question why there are even standardized APIs if none of them work on the hardware that supposedly meets, and supports, those standards.

At least from a consumer standpoint, the last round of GPUs I decided to go with ATI. My first foray out of Nvidia hardware since I replaced my Voodoo3 with a GeForce2, and I can say with certainty that with the next generation I'll be going back to Nvidia.

6. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 17:45 Bumpy

LittleMe wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 17:11:
I'd rather have higher quality drivers than many updates in a short amount of time.

BS. Drivers should be worked out and tested before a games release, not 2 weeks after.

I find ATI pathetic and will not be buying their products next hardware update.

5. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 17:11 LittleMe

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo