Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Patched

Steam News announces that the promised patch is now live in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, updating Bethesda's RPG to version 1.2. Here are the patch notes:

• Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz
  • Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
  • Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the playerís wedding dead
  • Dragon corpses now clean up properly
  • Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
  • Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
  • Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
  • Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
  • Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
  • Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
  • ESC button can now be used to exit menus
  • Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues
  • General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

56. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 12:57 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 11:17:
At home I never have any framerate issues, so I couldn't really speculate how it would work there. I probably wouldn't really notice a difference.

Your framerate doesn't drop in cities or fluctuate at all? Because with this engine that would be a miracle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 11:23 Creston

wonkawonka wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 03:58:
I haven't played Master, but my little thief is ridiculous.
I pushed stealth and smithing to 100, and got a couple of tricked out 15x stealth damage epic glass daggers.
Regular guys get their throat cut after a sneak from behind.
Boss guys get hit for 40% of health. Then they turn around. I stand up, crouch, stealth hit. Repeat, dead. That 100 stealth skill you can get is a game changer. I used to have to do the sniper thing that was just taking too long

Really? I never bother with daggers because it's too much hassle. Everything dies in max 3 arrows when stealthed. Of course, with all items and perks included, my bow does (IIRC) 130 damage, plus 40 from all the extras, then another 50 from decent poisons, and then x3 for the stealth crit.

Not to many things have (130+40)x3 + 50 = 560 hitpoints.

It's a shame that while they boosted thieves and archery, however, they nerfed mages. Mages are just pieces of shit now. I have to cast 600 mana's worth of spells to kill one fucking high level bandit. After which I can either suck down 8 potions, or die.

High level conjuration balances it out, but it's kind of boring watching your dremora lords kill everything.

Creston

54. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 11:20 Verno

Resistances are definitely fucked, I almost got wasted by a frost dragon last night despite being at the resistance cap.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

53. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 11:17 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 03:09:
Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 01:07:
I found the mouse worked better in 1.1. Now my Y axis is faster than my X axis and it's weird. (at work, anyway.)

Sure you're not confusing the patches here? Before today's patch the vertical speed was based on framerate, so inside it would be super fast and outside it would be slower. In cities mine barely moved up and down because my framerate was significantly lower. It annoyed me to the point I was playing with an Xbox controller half the time out of frustration.

After the 1.2 patch the vertical is no longer based on framerate and both vertical and horizontal control at the same speed. Feels lovely, I can't go back.

No, I'm pretty sure. Of course, I only tested 1.2 on my work system where the frame rate staggered every now and then (not really in the cities though, but then again it's a dual Xeon, so I've got 8 cores. That might have something to do with it.) and now it seems to me that my Y axis is faster than my X axis, and it's weird. But it could just be that I'm not used to Y being slower the way it was in the previous patch.

At home I never have any framerate issues, so I couldn't really speculate how it would work there. I probably wouldn't really notice a difference.

Creston

52. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 10:26 Darks

wonkawonka wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 10:14:
Darks wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 09:55:
Do you remember the AI in the Thief series? Now that AI would search you out if they heard something or found a body. Programmers these days are getting lazy about how they write their code.

You can't compare, for at least a couple of reasons:

1- In Thief, you can only be a thief. In Skyrim you can be anything, including a mage dabbling in a bit of hiding. Making stealth be so challenging will stop anyone from dabbling in stealth. It'll be an either/or situation and you'll have to fully commit to stealth to make it worthwhile.

2- You ain't got much space to hide in in dungeons. In Thief the environments were highly, highly customized to stealth-based gaming. You just can't do that systematically with such a huge game as Skyrim.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think the point we were making here is that the AI gives up way to easily. There should be a bit more effort on their part then just looking for 5 seconds then giving up in their search. And letís be honest now, if you have the perk for stealth then it should work as advertised. If you are just squatted down and make a lot of noise or get to close and are spotted and are of a low level. Then I have no pity on you when the AI pummels you into next week.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

51. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 10:14 wonkawonka

Darks wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 09:55:
Do you remember the AI in the Thief series? Now that AI would search you out if they heard something or found a body. Programmers these days are getting lazy about how they write their code.

You can't compare, for at least a couple of reasons:

1- In Thief, you can only be a thief. In Skyrim you can be anything, including a mage dabbling in a bit of hiding. Making stealth be so challenging will stop anyone from dabbling in stealth. It'll be an either/or situation and you'll have to fully commit to stealth to make it worthwhile.

2- You ain't got much space to hide in in dungeons. In Thief the environments were highly, highly customized to stealth-based gaming. You just can't do that systematically with such a huge game as Skyrim.

50. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:55 Darks

Jerykk wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 02:10:
Off Topic - Jerykk or anyone else, what do you think of the a.i. in Batman?

It's definitely better than the AI in Skyrim.

It's okay, I guess. It does what it needs to do. If you attack someone without using stealth, they'll call out for help and any nearby enemies will rush to aid him. During combat, they'll pickup weapons and throw stuff at you. If you're in a stealth segment, enemies will tend to stick together after finding a body. This is better than Skyrim, where enemies will search a 5 foot radius for about 5 seconds, then give up and say "I guess I was just imagining things" even though they're standing right next to the corpse of their buddy.

49. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:54 InBlack

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 09:01:
It still amazes me that even though they're now working with an almost 6 year old engine (this game is still 100% based on GameBryo despite Todd Howard's blatant lie that this was an "all-new engine"), they still make fundamental stupid mistakes like this with patches. Every new Bethesda title is structured like it's the first time they're working with this tech.

I wonder if anyone in the so called "gaming" press will have the balls to call them out on this. Somehow I seriously doubt this, those fucking shills eat Todd's excrement like its icecream...

Oh well, its always nice to dream. Its a great game, Bethesda really know their sandbox RPBgs, its a shame that its biggest drawback is the damn engine.

I have a nifty blue line!

48. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:51 Burrito of Peace

I found the mouse worked better in 1.1. Now my Y axis is faster than my X axis and it's weird. (at work, anyway.)

And you'll quickly think differently when you die for the 20th time from a mage who kills you within 0.00001 seconds of seeing you.

My orc is stuck in a dungeon with mages and no way out, basically.

Creston

Ward + Destruction spell = crazy delicious.

47. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:48 Darks

Domgrief wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 09:37:
InBlack wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 07:21:
2. The UI seems to be even more FUBAR now than before, it randomly drops me back ingame and this is especially frequent when talking to people now. (fuck consoles, fuck em hard)

Oh, I love this part of the update. Having remapped my controls before the patch, several non-3D commands have changed keys (lockpicking, inventory, etc.), but the key mappings shown on screen are still wrong.

So everything's still wrong, but it's wrong in a different way to before, so it's made me have to find the right keys all over again.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with the update. I'm still an early mage, and I get killed by just about everything unless I have a meat shield, so I wouldn't understand the resistance issues everyone's been talking about.

Did you all not believe me when I started this post with donít do it, it will make it worse? I guess you all are glutens for punishment. I tried to tell you guys this patch was bad.

Personally, Iím not touching this patch. I have not had any issues at all with my game running or mouse issues. I have installed a bunch of mods that have made my game even better. Iím just not going to screw it up with patches that I know are going to break it.

46. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:41 Eldaron Imotholin

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 02:58:
Thats nothing, vertical mouse speed was set to 0.0001 by the patch and didn't get re-set until i deleted all command and ini files.

And on game load magical resistance was reset to 1 even if you wear magical resistance equipment (you have re-equip and save/reload) to get proper resistance

Also you can now get stuck on arcane enchanters with a complete control dead-lock

Anyway, this patch really is breaking a lot, and thats just what i noticed from 10 second testing

The enchanter bug was already in there. It has something to do with scrolling in and out while you mean to scroll through your items instead. The fix? Patience. About 10 to 15 secs of patience and maybe some clicking and scrolling and whatever other buttons I click within reasonable context (such as E and F and scrolling). Its a minor nuisance.

As for difficulty setting: I play on Expert. Master could anger me when I was in a nice flow of battles when suddenly I bumped into some random god that one-shotted me.

Apart from that the game is very easy due to the many options to push/ice enemies to the ground and kill or nearly kill them. I also have a companion with me. Not because I want to, but there's no packmule I could hire...

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

45. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:37 Domgrief

InBlack wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 07:21:
2. The UI seems to be even more FUBAR now than before, it randomly drops me back ingame and this is especially frequent when talking to people now. (fuck consoles, fuck em hard)

Oh, I love this part of the update. Having remapped my controls before the patch, several non-3D commands have changed keys (lockpicking, inventory, etc.), but the key mappings shown on screen are still wrong.

So everything's still wrong, but it's wrong in a different way to before, so it's made me have to find the right keys all over again.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with the update. I'm still an early mage, and I get killed by just about everything unless I have a meat shield, so I wouldn't understand the resistance issues everyone's been talking about.

44. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:01 Parallax Abstraction

It still amazes me that even though they're now working with an almost 6 year old engine (this game is still 100% based on GameBryo despite Todd Howard's blatant lie that this was an "all-new engine"), they still make fundamental stupid mistakes like this with patches. Every new Bethesda title is structured like it's the first time they're working with this tech.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

43. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 08:57 jomisab

Theo wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 05:09:
You dont have to have steam auto patch games, its a option on a per game basis (in the properties, under update). i tend to do this for all bethesda games i buy - cause i am totally sick of putting a fire extinguisher next to my PC every time they patch one of there games.

As many people have posted, and as I've seen myself on many games, Steam will just randomly stop honoring your specific selection and update the game anyway.

And with the Skyrim 1.1 patch, I think they basically trumped everyone intentionally because that was a critical fix for their DRM.

42. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 08:36 Mangrove

And you'll quickly think differently when you die for the 20th time from a mage who kills you within 0.00001 seconds of seeing you.

The most insulting one is when you fight the dragon voice undead. They shout you across the level, you slowly stumble back onto your feet, and just as you're about to take control the fucker pops one arrow into you and it's game over

41. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 08:27 Shineyguy

venomhed wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 21:30:
I havent had any major or really even minor problems with this game, so since this patch really doesn't fix anything for me I will pass.

Wonder why so many people always patch up no matter what? This happens in the I.T. industry all the time. I work with junior IT service guys and they are doing a BIOS update on a server that has no issues, but because the BIOS update is new, gotta patch! This happens on applications too and they never seem to read what the problems are or corrections made with the patch.

Lame.

They're updating firmwares, not BIOS. There's a big difference there.

Also, they update the firmware regularly because it's RECOMMENDED by the HARDWARE MANUFACTURER (such as HP in our I.T. shops' case.) We update the firmware because they have found performance/stability enhancements, or found extremely rare bugs that could put you in a lurch should something happen. Entirely different than an in-house developed application or patch Tuesday from Microsoft.

40. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 07:40 Theo

everyone wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 06:38:
You dont have to have steam auto patch games, its a option on a per game basis (in the properties, under update). i tend to do this for all bethesda games i buy - cause i am totally sick of putting a fire extinguisher next to my PC every time they patch one of there games.
All that stops is updates for games you aren't playing. If you play them, they will update.

really? ohh heck.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

39. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 07:21 InBlack

After updating i started a new character. (Figured on starting a new one anyway, no way that a dark brotherhood asssasin is going to be saving the world any-time soon)

So far Ive noticed:

1. The game runs much better with little or no micro-stuttering (this could also be due to the latest AMD gfx driver), it also seems to look better.

3. The Y interface seems to be much slower than X.

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 06:38 everyone

All that stops is updates for games you aren't playing. If you play them, they will update.

37. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 05:19 jacobvandy

I've been adjusting the difficulty between Adept, Expert, and a little bit of Master throughout my playthrough as a pure mage (right after you get a new tier of spells, you can be a bit overpowered). I don't want to one-shot everything, but I also think it's really dumb and tedious to have to chug a dozen magicka potions so I can zap a boss about 50 times just to get his health down half-way, then repeat... playing like THAT is a joke. When I come across a boss that is either that tough or kills me too easily, I turn it down for a while.

I do like that you get a skill increase bonus on higher difficulties, though, so that's why I've been trying to keep it on Expert most of the time. I think a major thing this time around is that I've not been using smithing at all, 'cause I don't use any equipment that can be upgraded. I don't have my enchanting very high, either, but I am starting to work on that. I've spent the bulk of my money upgrading to better robes and jewelry whenever I can.

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo