Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GamePro Magazine Ending

IndustryGamers has word that GamePro magazine is ceasing publication after a brief run as a quarterly. Further, the GamePro Website has a message indicating its content will be folded into PC World: "Thank you for your loyalty, support, and participation in the GamePro.com community. At noon on December 5, 2011, the U.S. version of GamePro online will shut down as an independent site. GamePro will become part of PCWorld.com (http://www.pcworld.com/gamepro) offering gaming news, reviews, and how-tos from the PCWorld team. Thank you to the entire GamePro staff for their hard work and dedication." IndustryGamers has statements from parent company IDG (who sell ads for this site) which do not indicate how many jobs will be lost as a result.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Dec 1, 2011, 09:26 Ant

Alamar wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 20:55:
Gaming magazines ended with the death of CGW (Computer Gaming World).

-Alamar
Too bad the archive is gone from http://kotaku.com/207655/100-issues-of-computer-gaming-world-free ...

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Dec 1, 2011, 00:47 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 20:47:
IMO the PC Gamer rag isn't completely without value. The Desslock and Mahood columns are routinely excellent, and Dan Stapleton is still a member of the old guard when it comes to PC Gaming. I generally agree with his reviews as well.

Dan Stapleton quit to run Gamespy and the Desslock columns have started appearing on pcgamer.com, so any reason to read the magazine is quickly dying.

I got a sub for $5 a while back, but once that ends I don't see why I would renew.

16. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 20:55 Alamar

Gaming magazines ended with the death of CGW (Computer Gaming World).

-Alamar

15. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 20:47 Prez

TurdFergasun wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 19:25:
what are the retail issues up to now $11? do they still come with the awesome bloatware cd? probably the same fantastic bargain it always was. if i want to listen to shills defend shitty products and try to dress up pigs for the ball i can read kotaku for free.

Wow - tell us how you really feel!

I think they did away with the DVD's to save money. I never subscribed to the DVD edition anyway. It's 30 bucks a year; no idea what the per mag price is. IMO the PC Gamer rag isn't completely without value. The Desslock and Mahood columns are routinely excellent, and Dan Stapleton is still a member of the old guard when it comes to PC Gaming. I generally agree with his reviews as well.

As to why I still subscribe - I don't know, actually. There's just something about holding something tangible in my hands that I prefer to reading everything digitally for one thing.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

14. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 19:25 TurdFergasun

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 18:26:
PC Gamer is at least embracing the digital medium by releasing "episodes" on Steam. So far they've been hit or miss, but for a buck, I'm willing to give each one a read. They wisely backed off the initial 2-dollar price.

I still get the old-fashioned PC Gamer mag, though I think I renew it out of habit more than anything else. I also have a subscription to Wired (came with my laptop) and GuitarPlayer, which came with my guitar.

what are the retail issues up to now $11? do they still come with the awesome bloatware cd? probably the same fantastic bargain it always was. if i want to listen to shills defend shitty products and try to dress up pigs for the ball i can read kotaku for free.

13. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 19:16 born2expire

Good riddance, and this even coming from a paper town!  

12. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 18:46 Jay

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 18:24:
Why is it sad when magazine dies? Obviously most people don't think so or it'd be viable.

Of course. if there were more people who thought my way, CGW would've never died. Despite the fact that CGW provided much better writing and much more interesting features than gaming websites, for average gamers it provided very poor value proposition (because it's very hard to compete with free, plus all they ever want out of gaming press is news & reviews).

11. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 18:26 Prez

PC Gamer is at least embracing the digital medium by releasing "episodes" on Steam. So far they've been hit or miss, but for a buck, I'm willing to give each one a read. They wisely backed off the initial 2-dollar price.

I still get the old-fashioned PC Gamer mag, though I think I renew it out of habit more than anything else. I also have a subscription to Wired (came with my laptop) and GuitarPlayer, which came with my guitar.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

10. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 18:24 Cutter

Why is it sad when magazine dies? Obviously most people don't think so or it'd be viable. Yeah, honestly, I have to agree that the last time I even looked at a game magazine must have been sometime in the early 90s. If there were ever two things that don't need to be combined it's gaming and magazines.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 17:50 Rossafur

And the ONLY reason Game Informer continues to exist as a printed magazine is due to Gamestop employees having to shove its subscription down every customer's throat as a discount card...  

8. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 17:49 Jay

I never read GamePro, but it's always sad when magazines die. I think CGW crew said it best: print magazines tend to have better editorial content and unique and interesting features because publishers can't tie pageviews to articles. With online medium the numbers are plainly accessible, so even if they start a gaming website or whatever with best intentions, it inevitably gravitates toward content that has the highest pageviews (eg latest call of duty coverage and top-10 lists).

CGW did the same thing as GamePro when its subscriber base started dwindling. More editorial content, transform reviews into retrospectives, less emphasis on news, etc. I really appreciated all these changes in CGW and it was truly the best gaming magazine out there, but unfortunately quality != success.

7. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 17:47 StingingVelvet

I got one of these not too long ago for a plane flight. It was probably the worst gaming magazine I had seen, which is saying something.

That said, sorry to those losing their jobs. Best of luck.

6. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 17:43 TurdFergasun

GamePro wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 16:38:
"Thank you for your loyalty, support, and participation

if you had any, or anyone to thank for that you'd still have a magazine, there is the other little snag of being a total joke of a publication without an ounce of credibility.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 19:28.

5. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 17:42 loomy

going on record to say that we're losing another good soldier. hopefully they leverage their existing content. the domain, designs, videos and writing can all be into a gamepro.com and pcworld.com/gamepro mirror, if they choose...  

4. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 17:21 Fion

Yea the last time I bought a gaming mag was PC Gamer when the staff was almost entirely fired and replaced by would be sixteen year olds who headed a complete failure of a magazine. Before that I got that magazine every year since it had come out (Where I worked back then I could get the mag a solid week early too which was nice). After that travesty I never picked up another game magazine even once since then.  

3. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 16:42 Mashiki Amiketo

I think the last time I bought a gaming magazine was in oh...1996, maybe 1997.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 16:41 elefunk

Sad. When John Davison took over just over two years ago, he transformed it into an amazing magazine fully self-aware of the limitations of the media, which allowed them to write some amazing features and put far less focus on time-sensitive news and reviews. Their reviews section instead became a much-appreciated retrospective and summary of other outlets' reviews, which made it a great magazine even for people who already got their news and reviews from online.

I knew it couldn't have been good when he left the magazine last year, only a year later, since the magazine went downhill right after that. A more commercialized, standard format came back. Then they announced just 5 months ago that they were going quarterly, and the writing was on the wall.

Oh well, I guess, it had a good run. Hopefully the writers on those great features from when Davison was there land on their feet like they deserve to do so.

1. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 16:38 Dr. D. Schreber

And nothing of value was lost.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo