Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned?

Multiplayer support is coming to the Dragon Age franchise, according to an "insider" report on Kotaku. Their source was not clear on whether this would be part of the next full standalone Dragon Age game or as some sort of separate downloadable component, but they did indicate the ability to play as a Dragon would be part of the process. Their efforts at getting a comment on this from Electronic Arts have so far not met with success.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Dec 1, 2011, 07:55 Bob

If I remember correctly most of the blues crowd did not really like Fable III so this might be irrelevant.

But the thing I enjoyed most about it was the way coop play was handled.
I liked being able to take my current character and join in one of my friend's game, and then returning to my game with whatever loot/money I received in their game.

Plus the interaction was pretty cool, with the business partnership or marriage, co-owning houses/shops/kids/etc.

And of course there were a few challanges that required two players to solve it.

I know it is not a true co-op since the main player made all the quest choices and so on but it was a decent hybrid co-op I suppose.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 19:38 EricFate

The furries and otherkin communities will be SO THRILLED!  

29. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 19:37 Nate

Could be fun if done well. Don't really care about the IP.  

28. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 18:29 Prez

I got DA2 from Direct2Drive for 15 bucks, and I still feel dirty for buying it. It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't call itself a sequel to my favorite PCRPG ever. But as a follow-up to Dragon Age, DA2 is nothing short of a disaster. Holy moly has EA screwed up Bioware. There's going to have to be a drastic change in the way they operate for me to care much about DA3.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 17:56 HorrorScope

If it's for coop I am all for it. Never understood how it got lost from it's NWN's roots. I play with people I know so if there is an asshole factor with it, it's a "he's our asshole" factor.

To those wanting a TES CooP. I'm thinking TW's 3 might be the closest thing. I fully expect coop campaign next time around and their world is the closest to a TES game. The coop mission they have are fun but not quite campaign quality. But all the HOOKS are there already.

To those against coop. Face it you'll never be happy really. This is always a nice feature to add.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 18:15.

26. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 17:11 RollinThundr

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:37:
I never thought I'd see a day where Bethesda makes more compelling role playing games than Bioware, but here we are. Thanks EA.

To be fair Bioware was already going down this route in general before the acquisition. EA just sped the process along. Read any interview with the Docs over the past few years, they've had the whole "streamline into generic me too rpg's" in mind for quite a while now.

25. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 16:52 Tumbler

Multiplayer support is coming to the Dragon Age franchise, according to an "insider" report on Kotaku....the ability to play as a Dragon would be part of the process.

Eh heh hehehh, hahahahah HAHAAHA AH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

24. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 16:31 Halo

dheer wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 16:00:
I never thought I'd see a day where Bethesda makes more compelling role playing games than Bioware, but here we are. Thanks EA.
Yikes. A few years ago I would have laughed at such a ridiculous statement.

It's a new age, where RPGs are simple adventure games and FPSs are nothing more than point and click games.

23. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 16:10 Flatline

I'm at the point where I'm not even very hopeful for ME3, which pisses me off because I've followed that damn game series faithfully through the entire life of the 360.

Rail shooter levels, multiplayer, I'm just saddened by Bioware's direction.

EA can go eat a bag of dicks.

22. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 16:00 Mashiki Amiketo

I've long since come to the conclusion that people who like DA2 have no soul. I think the game ate it.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 16:00 dheer

Yikes. A few years ago I would have laughed at such a ridiculous statement.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

20. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 15:56 justice7

I liked Dragon Age
I liked Dragon Age 2

I would love a multiplayer portion to play with my fiancee, who is a huge DA fan.

I've really enjoyed the series, not as much as Mass Effect, but they really hit it with Dragon Age and its amazing use of interesting characters

I welcome this news!

19. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 14:30 Fion

QFT!

18. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 14:28 Shok

/tinfoilhat
Adding multiplayer lets them justify always on DRM and stop the pirates!
/tinfoilhat

17. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 14:21 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:21:
All I want from the Dragon Age franchise is the same deep, high quality experience that the first game offered. Why fuck with a working formula?

Because to EA:

14 months of dev time with 2 million sales >>>>>>> 3-4 years of dev time with 4 million sales.

"EA has no effect on the kind of games we make!"

- Ray 'straight-faced liar' Muzyka.

Creston

16. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 14:19 Creston

Oh wow, a 2012 release date AND multiplayer. My excitement just skyrocketed.

Creston

15. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 14:11 LittleMe

The new Lord of the Rings game is supposedly much better coop than it is alone. I don't see why MP can't enhance the experience, especially for those who like to game with friends. Oh yeah, this is Bioware, nevermind.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

14. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 14:05 Alamar

Gnolt wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:37:
both DA and Skyrim have companions - would it be that hard to have a friend play as yours in your game and vice versa - wouldn't seem that hard to me and wouldn't even change the game any

Except, this is what Dungeon Siege III basically did, and I can still hear the ringing in my ears from the bitching...

And I guess that's a bit vague... Part of the complaint is that if you're not the 'main' controller, you get nothing 'tangible' out of it... Which is what I thought you implied, but it doesn't have to be that way... Especially in a game like Skyrim, where your level doesn't actually matter...

-Alamar

13. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 13:30 Dev

There's NO WAY they will add it to existing games considering the amount of resources doing something like this takes.
Drezden wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:22:
I don't see why any game like this shouldn't have the option there, you don't have to tailor make it for multi, but let me and a friend play it.

Because adding multiplayer always adds lots of additional work to the game. You have to add the functionality in the first place, beth games don't have anything like it, you have to add some sorta matchmaking, or server system. You have to add balancing to the monsters (do you double the HP? What if there's player mismatch in levels?). You have to add XP and loot balancing. Do you have first person to grab get the loot (diablo 2 style) or everyone get own loot (diablo 3 style)? Is it all balanced now? Have to test it tons more to make sure it all still works and can be finished with and without having a friend. How many friends do you let play? 2? 3? More? Now thats more testing needed.

If it was easy or at least doable, you would have seen mods do it in previous beth games.

12. Re: Dragon Age Multiplayer Planned? Nov 30, 2011, 13:23 nin

That depends, can they go back and add it to Origins?

I suspect that ship has long since sailed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo