Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Sells 8M

Electronic Arts CFO Eric Brown announced Battlefield 3 has sold 8 million copies to date during today's Baird Technology Conference in San Francisco, reports GameInformer. They say he went on to tell the assembly that they have now shipped 12 million copies of the military shooter sequel, though per-platform breakdowns were not provided.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 15:51 Verno

I don't know for sure that those are the patchnotes, I should have corrected my earlier post. Those are things Dice has proposed to go into a balance patch (as per the forum URL I linked earlier) and they want "feedback" on them. Some of the other balance stuff they posted previously (IRNV) are already in the PS3 version but not the 360/PC for some reason. As usual it's a total clusterfuck in terms of information from Dice with several of their own team unaware of what's going into the patch but also disagreeing with what other people posted.

edit: here's a video that supposedly shows the nerfed IRNV which doesn't look tremendously nerfed to me

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 15:59.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 15:38 Elessar

Verno wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 11:36:
I saw a video on youtube of the IRNV nerf (PS3 somehow got it early), it looks useless now and I've never been so happy about a nerf.

Also here's some patch notes they said are coming:
Thanks dude, I was looking all over for those when I heard a patch came down today. I'm glad about the IRNV nerf. A little bummed about the RPG nerfs, but it will make the game better and less Quakey with rockets killing everyone. I'm very disappointed not to see a nerf to the frag rounds. How they can nerf the RPGs (which take several seconds between shots) and not address what is essentially a handheld automatic rocket launcher is beyond me.

Side note regarding weapon damage. Did anyone look at the damage chart pulled from the game data? What I don't understand is nearly all the weapons in a particular category have the same damage stats. The only thing that differentiates them is recoil/spread for the most part, in which case why wouldn't you just use the one that has the least of both? You're not trading damage apparently.

Damage Chart (scroll down to see it)

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 15:45.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 12:03 Ruffiana

I think I'll go out and buy a copy for the 360, and then not play it at all.

Just be-fucking-cause.

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 11:36 Verno

I saw a video on youtube of the IRNV nerf (PS3 somehow got it early), it looks useless now and I've never been so happy about a nerf.

Also here's some patch notes they said are coming:

Vehicles:
Increased the locking distance for Jets when locking on laser designated targets.
Increased the damage the MBT's primary weapon does to other main battle tanks.
AA Missiles should no longer kill the pilot instead of the vehicle.
Tank rounds will now instantly destroy Jets, Attack Helicopters, and Scout Helicopters.
Using flares too early will no longer distract missiles fired at long range. The missile must be approaching the vehicle in order to reliably be distracted by flares.
Attack Helicopter Guided Rockets will now only track ground targets, as originally intended.
Reduced the direct damage done by helicopter gunners vs armor.
Slightly increased the blast radius of the rounds fired by helicopter gunners vs infantry.
Vehicle weapons should now suppress correctly.
Increased the direct hit damage of the APFSDS rounds for the IFVs.
Miniguns and Helicopter Gunners now more quickly destroy parked cars.

Weapons:
Significantly increased the damage of Laser Guided Top Attack missiles.
Javelin missiles fired without laser targeting now do more damage to the side and rear of MBTs.
Slightly reduced the repair speed of the repair tool.
Fixed a problem when locking on to two nearby targets, the locking should no longer jump rapidly between multiple targets.
Reduced the total number of RPG and SMAW missiles carried from 5 to 4.
Slightly reduced the locking time of all weapons vs Laser Designated targets.
Slightly reduced the effective blast radius of the RPG and SMAW projectiles against infantry.
Reduced the recoil of the SKS rifle and slightly increased its power at close range.
Semiautomatic sniper rifles, Assault Rifles, and LMGs now have more consistent damage over long range.
Increased the close range damage maximum range of 9x39mm ammo.

Soldiers:
Increased the spawn protection time from 1sec to 2sec. The protection will still be immediately canceled as soon as the player moves or shoots.
Spawn protection will no longer be canceled by the player looking around.
Slightly increased the speed at which a player can shoot again after sprinting.

No map changes but oh well, the rest sounds decent.

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 11:32 Rattlehead

Shataan wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 11:25:
"Metro & Crossing are meat grinder/spam fests with more than 32."

Speaks the truth. I never thought I`d experience quake/Unreal Tourney in a BF game. But I have seen a ton of pure rocket/nade spamfests. And until they get the weap balance right, and the maps, we are prolly gonna see more.

Sounds like you never played a previous Battlefield game(Bad company excluded).

Any urban map with more than 32 players was a complete nadefest. Especially Karkand.

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 11:25 Shataan

"Metro & Crossing are meat grinder/spam fests with more than 32."

Speaks the truth. I never thought I`d experience quake/Unreal Tourney in a BF game. But I have seen a ton of pure rocket/nade spamfests. And until they get the weap balance right, and the maps, we are prolly gonna see more.

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 11:14 Elessar

Drezden wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 10:09:
Every single one of you who bought this game on 360 or PS3 instead of the PC should be hung, honestly.

64 Player, Max Graphics on PC > Sitting in front of a TV

If you bought it on a console you're missing half the experience.
Agreed. There are some games that are better suited for console, BF3 is definitely not one of them. I'd be ashamed to even admit I got it for a console on these forums if I were you.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 11:01 MajorD

Why someone would purchase this to play on a console is beyond me; this isn't Call of Duty! I am playing it full-tilt-boogie on my PC, and I am with what Dmitri_M said, I too have not been addicted to an on-line MP FPS since BF2.

I took the stance of saying I wasn't going to purchase it because it wasn't on Steam, but after having issues with Steam, which have now since been corrected, I reevaluated my thinking, decided to purchased it, have been addicted since, and haven't looked back. Origin is nothing compared to Steam I just use it to get BF3 launched and it gets forgotten from there. Yes, BF3 has its bugs here and there, which are slowly being worked out, but I have to say DICE has developed an awesome game with so many life like subtleties, it is quite amazing.

No regrets, THE GAME IS AN ABSOLUTE BLAST!!!

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 10:58 Trevellian

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 10:19:
Every single one of you who bou

Ight this game on 360 or PS3 instead of the PC should be hung, honestly.

I love it on PC, but some of the maps are not good for 64 players. Metro & Crossing are meat grinder/spam fests with more than 32. (Actually, metro sucks for anything but rush) They needed to open up some of the other maps like they did with Caspian.

Metro definitely needs some work, it's absolutely a one sided map on Conquest. I don't now what they could do to even it out though.

I did notice while playing Caspian on Rush yesterday that they moved a Shipping Container in front of one of... I can't remember if it's A or B, the one not in the small warehouse at the first 2 Rush pounts. Definitely helps so that it can actually be defused now. In the past all someone had to do was plant it and the team could sail tank rounds at it from across the map.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 10:19 Agent.X7

Every single one of you who bou

Ight this game on 360 or PS3 instead of the PC should be hung, honestly.

I love it on PC, but some of the maps are not good for 64 players. Metro & Crossing are meat grinder/spam fests with more than 32. (Actually, metro sucks for anything but rush) They needed to open up some of the other maps like they did with Caspian.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 10:09 Trevellian

Every single one of you who bought this game on 360 or PS3 instead of the PC should be hung, honestly.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 09:56 Verno

venomhed wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 07:06:
Not sure if you are implying this is a good thing. The game companies want churn n' burn, because over the long haul the server maintenance and bandwidth eat into profits. If anything they want people to buy the game, play 3-6 months, shove out a DLC or two, play another 1-6 months then kill/destroy the game to make room for the next one (In this case Bad Company 3, BF4 etc).

In this case EA doesn't want churn, they are using BF3 as a vehicle to launch Origin as a premier DD service. They can't kill the servers early and the BC games usually sell pretty decently no matter what. They also want to sell a lot of DLC for BF3 at some point, they've been clamoring about it for awhile and I suspect that's the real reason patches are so slow coming out now.

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 08:34 LittleMe

"Here's what will likely happen... The PC online count will remain much more steady than the dwindling console numbers. All platforms will level off after several months, but PC will remain higher than both consoles combined, and then some."

Not sure if you are implying this is a good thing. The game companies want churn n' burn, because over the long haul the server maintenance and bandwidth eat into profits. If anything they want people to buy the game, play 3-6 months, shove out a DLC or two, play another 1-6 months then kill/destroy the game to make room for the next one (In this case Bad Company 3, BF4 etc).

I don't think it's so cut & dry as you put it. For example, a successful online game builds a reputation for the franchise and for subsequent sequels. Also, ongoing sales *do* make a difference. Okay, sure, some suits might be as narrow minded as you put it but I don't think that's often the case.

Wish I could say that game companies wanted and favored the PC because that pushes the industry while these 6 year old consoles keep holding out games back due to their legacy hardware. Sad times.

PC games are detaching from console games. Batman has DX11, BF3 has DX11, etc etc.. We will be getting higher production value games from multiplatform games. Not always, but as things move on and people buy PC games, we will be getting games that exploit new tech.

BF3 is a blast, even though there is zero ability for squad/team communication this severely hurting this games potential, whereas BF2 had this is spared (Waypoints, Commander etc).

Sigh....

Yeah the BF3 squad system is fail. BF2's was good/very good, especially in Project Reality where it was perfected.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 08:33 JayDeath

Sepharo wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 01:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 01:44:
Sad to say I bought it on 360;....but I got it on super sale for turkey day for 5.00.

Not very impressed. Just BFBC2 2.0. Which is fine.

Play it on a PC 64 player conquest with the graphics cranked up, then take your copy of MW3 and smash it.

What he said.
And to all of the ppl not playing this masterpiece of a game because of Origin, you are truly missing out on a wonderful gaming experience.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 10:34.

Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 08:14 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 08:03:
This is the major difference between the PC audience and the console audience. On the consoles YOU HAVE TO sell a maximum of units in the first two or three weeks. The majority of console revenue is made in this time period, dwarfing every number from the PC platform. But in the long run ... just look at Crysis 1. Deeply dissapointing sales in the first month, over the course of a year Crysis 1 becomes one of the most sucessful PC exclusives of the entire EA history.

Well Whopdeedoo lucky us PC gamers eh? Especially considering how that asshat Yerli after that decided that Crysis 2 would be developed for consoles first and PC's second.*

*this wasnt necessarily a bad thing IMO Crysis was one of the most overhyped games of all time and the second one was well...even worse.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 08:03 Kajetan

LittleMe wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 05:06:
Here's what will likely happen... The PC online count will remain much more steady than the dwindling console numbers. All platforms will level off after several months, but PC will remain higher than both consoles combined, and then some.
This is the major difference between the PC audience and the console audience. On the consoles YOU HAVE TO sell a maximum of units in the first two or three weeks. The majority of console revenue is made in this time period, dwarfing every number from the PC platform. But in the long run ... just look at Crysis 1. Deeply dissapointing sales in the first month, over the course of a year Crysis 1 becomes one of the most sucessful PC exclusives of the entire EA history.

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 07:39 venomhed

Skyrim - Very true. I loved BF3, but when Skyrim came out I didn't play BF3 for 10 days straight.... I only tried bf3 again after the recent patch. Love both games, totally diff, but Skyrim owns my soul currently.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 07:29 Dades

Check it again during the daylight hours and the PC counts rise to about 80,000 (that's over nine thousand!). When the game first game out, the 360 had 250k online. But that quickly dropped, showing how fickle is that audience.

Everyone is playing Skyrim, I wouldn't read too much into those numbers.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 07:06 venomhed

"Here's what will likely happen... The PC online count will remain much more steady than the dwindling console numbers. All platforms will level off after several months, but PC will remain higher than both consoles combined, and then some."

Wish I could say that game companies wanted and favored the PC because that pushes the industry while these 6 year old consoles keep holding out games back due to their legacy hardware. Sad times.

BF3 is a blast, even though there is zero ability for squad/team communication this severely hurting this games potential, whereas BF2 had this is spared (Waypoints, Commander etc).

Sigh....

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 05:21 Fibrocyte

ELITE wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 05:00:
Bought them both

Bf3 good game even with the console elements showing.

MW3 console piece of shit to the extreme - black ops is much better

I think most people would strongly disagree w/ your Black Ops vs MW3 comment.

Lots of disappointment around Black Ops whereas the majority seem happy w/ MW3.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo