Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Beta Drivers

GeForce.com now offers new beta version 290.36 drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards. Here's an overview:

The new NVIDIA GeForce 290.36 beta drivers are now available to download. Recommended for gamers diving into Batman: Arkham City, the drivers also add official support for Ambient Occlusion in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Furthermore, a Battlefield 3 fix is included to combat the random appearance of triangular artifacts, a SLI shadow bug is stamped out in Crysis 2, and Settlers 7 corruption is eliminated.

On the tech side, the 290.36 beta drivers enable NVIDIA Surround on newly-released X79 SLI-certified motherboards, and native 3D Vision DisplayPort 1.1 connections are now possible on BenQ XL2420T and BenQ XL2420TX monitors.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2011, 14:05 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 11:43:
That being said some people have the disposable income and just don't care, they want that extra 5% no matter what is involved in terms of profile headaches and bugs.

Sure, and more power to 'em.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2011, 11:43 Verno

I have to agree with StingingVelvet, SLI only makes sense for gaming at very high resolutions or for driving multi-monitor setups. A single card is just plain less hassle and at typical resolutions gets more than playable performance with bells and whistles in the vast majority software titles on the market.

That being said some people have the disposable income and just don't care, they want that extra 5% no matter what is involved in terms of profile headaches and bugs.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

44. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2011, 02:24 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 00:40:
You can run Metro 2033 at 1920x1080, 8xAA, max settings, at a constant 60+ FPS? If so, I salute your videocard.

I did run it on max DX11 settings actually, yes, but with FXAA. Not a big deal to me at all, and probably one of 2 or 3 examples you could find in total.

43. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2011, 00:40 Jerykk

You can run Metro 2033 at 1920x1080, 8xAA, max settings, at a constant 60+ FPS? If so, I salute your videocard.  

42. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2011, 00:34 StingingVelvet

I'm not sure why I would get SLI going when my single card maxes out every damn game out there. I guess if I was running at a way higher resolution, like for multi-monitors, but other than that I don't see much point to it. I would rather upgrade my single GPU more often.  

41. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 22:29 Dev

Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 22:01:
Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 20:10:
Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 18:52:
With SLI, do you get twice the VRAM? Or does each card need it's own copy of stuff, causing it all to be duplicated?

The latter. However, I'm not sure how it works on an X2 card. I don't know if they're considered to be an SLI setup...

Creston

Thanks.

So the main reason to upgrade, more VRAM, doesn't work with SLI. So much for that then.
It does, you just have to remember with an x2 card, the VRAM is divided into 2 parts. So if it says its a 2 gb x2 card, its 1gb per chip.

For instance, here's a review on the dual GTX 580:
Text for your Link
It has a total of 3gb ram, which means 1.5gb per chip. And at high enough detail and resolutions (such as 5760x1200 on a triple monitor setup) to stress that high end $1500 card, it needs MORE than 1.5gb per card. The ATI 6990 dual GPU card has 2gb per chip for a total of 4gb ram, and its NOT as memory limited in those ultra high resolutions and detail.

On the other hand, if you are running resolutions more like 1080p (1920x1080) then 1 gb video ram is more than enough for almost anything, and so is a $100-$200 card. Consoles have been holding back gaming graphics development (see skyrim at DX9) since they have obsolete hardware, so nowadays its mostly not needed to get a $400+ video card to get good detail if you play at normal HD resolutions like 1080p.

40. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 22:01 Quboid

With SLI, do you get twice the VRAM? Or does each card need it's own copy of stuff, causing it all to be duplicated?

The latter. However, I'm not sure how it works on an X2 card. I don't know if they're considered to be an SLI setup...

Creston

Thanks.

So the main reason to upgrade, more VRAM, doesn't work with SLI. So much for that then.

- Quboid

39. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 20:29 Dev

Creston
Internally its SLI each having own ram.

Externally its treated like a single card. You can put 2 in a computer for quad SLI (need a 1300+ watt PSU though for quad GTX 580)

38. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 20:10 Creston

Creston

37. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 19:30 Mashiki Amiketo

Texture packs are limited by vram, so the more you can get the better. And even the regular 560's are coming in 3gb flavors now.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

36. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 18:52 Quboid

Which is better, a 560 or 2x460? My Geforce 460 is holding up fairly well but a bit more performance would be nice. I only have 768MB of VRAM which is probably the biggest bottleneck for things like 3rd party texture packs for Skyrim (the Whiterun retexture on SkyrimNexus killed my performance!). With SLI, do you get twice the VRAM? Or does each card need it's own copy of stuff, causing it all to be duplicated?  

- Quboid

35. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 18:30 Tim Collins

for 500, 560 ti sli /w stock oc is a decent buy.....NVIDEA drivers are FAR superior.....the biggest gripe with AMD is their drivers.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2011, 09:59.

34. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 18:23 Prez

The 560ti is an awesome card. It's been called this gen's 8800gt. Anyone who had one of those, or even still uses it now, knows that that means it's a GREAT card that will last a while.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

33. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 18:15 scratz

As long as we're all talking video cards, I may as well drop this question:

I'm a couple years out of the loop on video cards (currently running a 260 GTX that has held up astonishingly well). What's the best bang for a buck these days?

I've been told to eyeball the 560 TI, and that's about my price range. Opinions?

32. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 18:10 Prez

So I guess I'm doing it wrong when I automatically update my Geforce 560 Ti's drivers to the latest version?

I used to do before and after benchmarks with 3DMark and PC Mark with my driver updates, but I don't anymore. I just take a leap of faith and install the newest ones. I haven't updated to these latest ones yet; should I avoid these new drivers?

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

31. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 17:18 Agent.X7

Rossafur wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 14:37:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 14:31:
Did they yank these? They're not appearing on the beta driver page.

Edit: Ah. This beta driver is only for 32-bit Windows, apparently. Doesn't show up when you select 64 bit.

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40030

Strangely they didn't show up the first time I rechecked, then I searched again and the link was there again.

Thanks for the link.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 16:49 HorrorScope

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 16:38:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 15:58:
I wouldn't call this one major since they likely had a week or less to compile the fixes before sending it out for verification on the various distribution networks. I'll bet the next patch is larger, with technical, performance and quest fixes, but those take longer. I wouldn't expect the next update until around Xmas.

Bethesda have never really boosted performance in patches. I think expecting that is a bit naive.

Nor have they re-worked their UI's.

It's up to the gamers to fix it. If there was something I would tell them it would be to hire the person that setup the WoW interface. Make it so it's all modifiable and when you want to force a crappy console UI on pc gamers, we have the ability to simply correct it ourselves.

29. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 16:38 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 15:58:
I wouldn't call this one major since they likely had a week or less to compile the fixes before sending it out for verification on the various distribution networks. I'll bet the next patch is larger, with technical, performance and quest fixes, but those take longer. I wouldn't expect the next update until around Xmas.

Bethesda have never really boosted performance in patches. I think expecting that is a bit naive.

28. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 16:28 Mashiki Amiketo

Kastagir wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 16:14:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 16:09:
... The UI, I wouldn't expect squat, though last I heard DARN is making good progress at unfucking it.

There is an effort being made by several individuals, including DarN, and their progress can be monitored ...
Double facepalm, when a single one isn't enough.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 16:14 Kastagir

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 16:09:
Verno wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 15:43:
Thanks for the correction Mashiki, shame no notes about unfucking the UI on there but oh well.
Nah no biggie, seems like the patching thing is a giant clusterfuck anyway. I've read no less than 4 articles on 4 different sites saying a variety of different things including that the PS3 patch hasn't been released, has been released, and only been released in europe. The UI, I wouldn't expect squat, though last I heard DARN is making good progress at unfucking it.

There is an effort being made by several individuals, including DarN, and their progress can be monitored here.

As he has admitted, flash is not DarN's strong suit like XML was for Oblivion/FO3/FNV, but many others have stepped in to offer their experience with flash/scaleform development.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo