Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the ten bestselling games for the past week on Steam:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  2. Portal 2
  3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  4. Dead Island
  5. Batman: Arkham City
  6. L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
  7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  8. Orcs Must Die!
  9. Fallout: New Vegas
  10. Anno 2070

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2011, 09:44 Beamer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 19:51:
Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 14:13:
Man, that video.
I understand that for some people being a pilot is a dream, same with people in Japan buying that train simulator, but for me that crosses the line into "work, not game," with the likes of Animal Crossing and WoW.

It's actually quite fun if you don't insist on instant gratification. Much of what makes complex flight simulators so enjoyable is the sense of learning, and immediately putting into practice, a skill. If you like helicopters and learning more about them, then learning the work flow behind starting one up is immensely gratifying. And that's the other thing: just watching the video without any narration makes it look like you're flipping switches without rhyme or reason. What's actually going on is an organized process that follows the same general outline but allows for individual customization. The uploader's start-up procedure is quite different from mine, but knowing the general outline allowed me to follow what he was doing and predict what he was going to do next.

If you're curious the basic outline is as follows:
turn on battery or external power so you can start up the APU
turn on APU to power engine start up
start up engines
shut down APU
turn on electrically powered systems now that the engines are generating electrical power
configure systems/turn on miscellaneous systems
take off

No, I get all that. Like I said, if your dream is being a pilot I'm sure this is great. It looks miserable to me, though. I love running complex Excel models that take hours to understand and have their own switches that can be flipped to flex the model that I'm sure people think are random. I'm sure that those models look miserable to them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 29, 2011, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 14:13:
Man, that video.
I understand that for some people being a pilot is a dream, same with people in Japan buying that train simulator, but for me that crosses the line into "work, not game," with the likes of Animal Crossing and WoW.

It's actually quite fun if you don't insist on instant gratification. Much of what makes complex flight simulators so enjoyable is the sense of learning, and immediately putting into practice, a skill. If you like helicopters and learning more about them, then learning the work flow behind starting one up is immensely gratifying. And that's the other thing: just watching the video without any narration makes it look like you're flipping switches without rhyme or reason. What's actually going on is an organized process that follows the same general outline but allows for individual customization. The uploader's start-up procedure is quite different from mine, but knowing the general outline allowed me to follow what he was doing and predict what he was going to do next.

If you're curious the basic outline is as follows:
turn on battery or external power so you can start up the APU
turn on APU to power engine start up
start up engines
shut down APU
turn on electrically powered systems now that the engines are generating electrical power
configure systems/turn on miscellaneous systems
take off

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 29, 2011, 14:13 Beamer

Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 01:26:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 00:17:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 15:00:
I did get DCS:A10 though & its AWESOME!!

Thumbsup

Best flight simulator ever, imo.

Better than the IL-2 series?

They have different goals. IL-2 has a breadth of aircraft available. DCS have modelled two aircraft so far, but have done so with ridiculous depth. Every button, switch, and display is present and operational, the flight mechanics are as close as anything, and the manuals are ridiculously deep.

From this review:
Want to fire a Maverick at a target in Simulation Mode?

1. Make the HUD the Sensor of Interest (SOI ) by tapping the coolie hat up once.
2. Press the Master Mode Control Button until CCIP mode is set.
3. Tap the DMS left or right to call up the Maverick weapon profile.
4. Tap coolie right until the Maverick screen is displayed on the right MFCD.
(Alternatively, press the OSB button labeled “MAV”)
5. Press and hold coolie right to make the Maverick screen SOI.
(Alternatively, press the “MAV” OSB button a second time)
6. Use the slew control on the throttle to point the Maverick screen at the target.
7. No lock? Keep trying. Stabilize the Maverick sensor with respect to the ground by tapping the TMS key aft.
8. Once the target is locked (indicated by a flashing cross on the Maverick display), press and hold the weapons release button for at least 2 seconds to launch the missile.
9. Wait for the big gooey explosion.

And here's a video of someone starting up and taking off in DCS:Black Shark. That's a 6 minute long video right there.

Man, that video.

It did make me long for a new Comanche: Maximum Overkill game, though.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 29, 2011, 12:00 Mordecai Walfish

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 09:44:
Renegade Ops for $4 was probably the best $4 I've spent on games in 2011. Have an absolute blast with that game. Started playing it last night and it was 1am before I realized what time it is.

I picked up renegade ops in a 4pack when it was released, it is a very fun game =) Playing on Co-Op is far too easy though unless you set the difficulty to hard at least, as it seems the game does not scale to the additional players.

If you ever want to play some Co-Op, my steam name is "Mordecai Walfish" (or xdevnullx, dont know which one it asks for when adding)

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 18:21 hb3d

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 09:44:
Renegade Ops for $4 was probably the best $4 I've spent on games in 2011.
How did you get it so cheaply? The best price I found anywhere was $7.50. Gamersgate had a buy 2 get 2 multiplack for $15, but you still had to spend $15 for the 4 copies.

I suppose you could have sold the extra copies, but that will get your Steam account and the recipient account banned according to this.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 09:44 SpectralMeat

Renegade Ops for $4 was probably the best $4 I've spent on games in 2011. Have an absolute blast with that game. Started playing it last night and it was 1am before I realized what time it is.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 09:43 Prez

I'd pay a thousand bucks for Blackshark and DCS-A10 if they came bundled with the time I need to learn and play them. God I used to love sims. I still do, but I don't have the time I need to dedicate to them to get the full enjoyment out of them.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 01:56 Sepharo

So I just hold 'w' ?  

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 01:41 Scottish Martial Arts

1. Make the HUD the Sensor of Interest (SOI ) by tapping the coolie hat up once.
6. Use the slew control on the throttle to point the Maverick screen at the target.
7. No lock? Keep trying. Stabilize the Maverick sensor with respect to the ground by tapping the TMS key aft.
8. Once the target is locked (indicated by a flashing cross on the Maverick display), press and hold the weapons release button for at least 2 seconds to launch the missile.

The review makes it sound a lot more complicated than it is. Those steps are accurate, but it's all part of an intuitive workflow that you quickly pick up on. I use a checklist for startup and shutdown so I don't forget anything, but otherwise flying an A-10C is pretty straightforward. Learning all of the CDU functionality takes a little bit of time though, I'll give you that.

Edit: And yes, I'd say that DCS is superior to IL-2.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 01:26 Crustacean Soup

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 00:17:

Thumbsup

They have different goals. IL-2 has a breadth of aircraft available. DCS have modelled two aircraft so far, but have done so with ridiculous depth. Every button, switch, and display is present and operational, the flight mechanics are as close as anything, and the manuals are ridiculously deep.

From this review:

And here's a video of someone starting up and taking off in DCS:Black Shark. That's a 6 minute long video right there.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 01:05 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 20:20:
FYI: Download is just under 14.0GB!!

Not counting MMOs, I think DA:O still holds the record, as the complete version on Steam is something like a 24 gig download.

Rage is 25. And not even 1/10th the game that DA:O is.

Creston

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 00:27 Jerykk

That could be because of the way this game was built. I know Rockstar used some pretty new & advanced tech to build this game. Not sure, just a thought?

Apparently the facial animation has to be kept at 30 FPS in order to remain in-sync with voice overs. However, there's no reason why they couldn't have just had a 30 FPS cap during cinematics and 60 FPS during gameplay.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 00:17 ForgedReality

Thumbsup

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 22:41 Enahs

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 21:55:
Enahs wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 18:16:
I would also like a list of top selling games by # of sales, not revenue.
Do we know for sure the list is by revenue? (I have no idea if this is known or not)

Yes, that is what it says at the steam feed page:
http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 22:32 nin

Finished the main SR3 story tonight - playtime shows 27 hours. Now onto picking up the pieces I missed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 21:55 Mr. Tact

Enahs wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 18:16:
I would also like a list of top selling games by # of sales, not revenue.
Do we know for sure the list is by revenue? (I have no idea if this is known or not)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 20:45 Slashman

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 20:20:

Not counting MMOs, I think DA:O still holds the record, as the complete version on Steam is something like a 24 gig download.

Thanks for reminding me that I really need to back my copy up. No way I'm looking forward to downloading all that again.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 20:20 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 20:19 DangerDog

Good info on Amazon download service, I'll have to look closer at games that use it in the future.  

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 20:04 Techie714 ©

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 19:16:
LA Noire is locked at 30 FPS.

That could be because of the way this game was built. I know Rockstar used some pretty new & advanced tech to build this game. Not sure, just a thought?

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo