Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

VG247 - RIP, PC: How Ubisoft managed to be wrong and right.
At this point, hardcore PC gamers need to be convinced that games releasing under these new business models are worthwhile just as much as publishers need to be convinced that PC’s worth developing for. But if publishers won’t give it their all, consumers won’t pay attention. Instead, PC gamers will continue to feel like they’re getting sloppy seconds while console players enjoy big-budget feasts served up on silver platters. And then we’ll be right back at square one, with companies like Ubisoft saying, “Well, clearly PC gamers don’t want to spend money on these games” when, in reality, the content they’ve been offered hasn’t been worth the asking price.

Obviously, Ubisoft’s hardly the only guilty party here. PC gaming’s transforming in a big way, but many hardcore PC gamers still pine for the past, back when big-budget retail games were made – nay, forged – with their beefy rigs in mind. So it’s time for big publishers to put up or shut up. Bring out the big guns. Give us something with the impact, scope, and craftsmanship of a Battlefield 3 and the business model of a Ghost Recon Online.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 12:48 Prez

I totally dug Crysis, aliens and all.

BTW, Crysis 2 is 10 bucks on Amazon.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 10:22 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 08:15:
Sometimes I see things like people claiming Crysis was consolidized and feel like some of you need to go back and play some of the FPS games that weren't from id, Epic or Valve.

Go fire up Chasm and remember the glories of the 90s.

Crysis wasnt consolized. It was just shit. Shit is shit. Regardless of platform.

I have a nifty blue line!

36. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 09:44 necrosis

Give us something with the impact, scope, and craftsmanship of a Battlefield 3 and the business model of a Ghost Recon Online.
No thank you. I do not want anything like Ghost Recon Online and its F2P model.

I want games that are not shovelware. I want games that WORK AT LAUNCH. I want games that are not delayed for months just to please console sales. I want games where we are not nickle and dimed with DLC that should come with the game and having to pay for dedicated servers when we already have the hardware and bandwidth to host games ourselves. I want the ability to modify my game how I see fit.

35. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 09:16 Verno

Ventura wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 00:33:
That higher profit margin doesn't count for much when your average game might sell 2.5 million copies on the 360 and 150,000 on PC.

Some games sell exceedingly well on the PC and others do very poorly, the PC platform isn't something you can just ram titles into and hope for the best which is what many publishers are used to with the console market. I don't agree with your figures either given that you haven't specified which platform and games they are for, digital sales frequently are not counted towards totals and they are so sizable these days that it seems silly talking about success without taking them into account. The PC rarely outsells both consoles but it can keep pace with individual platforms depending on the genre.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2011, 09:24.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

34. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 09:14 Lobster

I know this is heresy, but I kind of like UPlay. I like being able to earn points in one game and spend them on more content for another. Of course at this point, I've earned so many more than I actually care to spend I can buy everything I want the moment I load up the game, then use the points from that game on the next.  

33. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 08:15 Beamer

Sometimes I see things like people claiming Crysis was consolidized and feel like some of you need to go back and play some of the FPS games that weren't from id, Epic or Valve.

Go fire up Chasm and remember the glories of the 90s.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 08:03 InBlack

I read the article and it only marginally touches the point, because I assume the author of the article doesnt really want to lose his job but still wants to write something that smells like truth.

To the said author (for some reason I believe he reads Blues): Grow a pair of balls or please, please dont write about PC gaming again...

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 07:02 Kajetan

Asmo wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 06:43:
The whole move to consoles is purely greed motivated, Ubi and co. know it and we know it. Meanwhile, there are still people putting out good PC games and making money (ask Notch, for example...)
If i would be a major publisher, who moves to the consoles, realizing that this is a cramped market which requires high production budgets and much higher marketing costs, but also with the possibility of VERY HIGH revenues, much higher than one can achieve with PC games ... i would abandon the PC market for good and concentrate everything on making profits with console games.

But because ALL majors dont do this last step, is just proof enough that you can make very good money with multiplattform games. Neither of them wants to live without these profits, some of them, especially Ubisoft, still have some very sucessfull PC exclusives.

That said ... nobody wants to abandon the PC plattform. Some publishers only have a shitty publicity management or are just used to lie to the public, because they usually lie to their investors.

30. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 06:43 Asmo

Kajetan wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 16:58:
Wasn't Edios very dissapointed in the sales of "Kane & Lynch" worldwide of "only" 1.5 mio? Wasnt CD Project very pleased with the sales of TW1 of "only" several hundred thousand?

I say something similar every time some fucktard starts going on about a new MMO being a Wow-killer... If they can make enough money to cover the cost of making the game and providing it such that their investors are happy, who fucking cares if a) it kills wow or b) it sells more on the console or the PC...

The whole move to consoles is purely greed motivated, Ubi and co. know it and we know it. Meanwhile, there are still people putting out good PC games and making money (ask Notch, for example...)

29. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 00:37 Jerykk

Teddy wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 19:43:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 19:25:
You exhibited BF3 as a proper PC game and yet its console versions far eclipsed the sales numbers of the PC version.

Do you have an actual source for these numbers?

Xbox Sales top PC and PS3 combined.

Granted that doesn't take into account Origin sales since they refuse to report that number, but when you also take into account the player count and take note that PC players are, on average, outnumbered 3:1 by console players, then you can fairly easily extrapolate the difference in sales.

The gap is narrower than it is in many other games (MW3 for example) but it's still quite obvious that the console versions significantly outsold the PC version.

Unfortunately, that site doesn't list sources either. Were those numbers taken from the NPD or do they include international sales as well? And like you mentioned, Origin sales weren't included. I'd like to get official numbers from DICE or EA before passing any judgment.

I'm all for more effort paid to our PC games, but when's the last time a game sold anywhere nearly as much on the PC as it did on either the 360 or PS3?

Super Meat Boy sold more on PC than on X360. I think Metro 2033 did as well. I think BF:BC2 may have as well, which is why they decided to use PC as lead SKU for BF3. Valve said that Portal 2 PC outsold the console versions. I'm pretty sure Risen and Divinity 2 sold better on PC than on consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if DX:HR sold better on PC, especially considering that the bulk of sales came from Europe.

It all depends on the genre and brand name. If it's a mindless pseudorealistic military shooter sequel designed for consoles, it will probably sell better on consoles. If it's a hardcore, lesser known shooter designed for PC, it will probably sell better on PC. Unsurprisingly, games designed for the PC tend to sell better on PC.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2011, 00:47.

28. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 00:33 Ventura

Dades wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 22:22:
I don't see any evidence to support that. The bulk of development is multiplatform work and it depends on the game in question whether PC exclusive features make sense or not. Battlefield 3 worked out well for EA and didn't compromise the console versions at all. It gave me a flagship title to launch Origin and PC games tend to have higher profit margins than console titles.

You don't see any evidence to support it? What, console titles like Call of Duty smashing sales records each and every year not conclusive enough for you?

I'm all for more effort paid to our PC games, but when's the last time a game sold anywhere nearly as much on the PC as it did on either the 360 or PS3?

That higher profit margin doesn't count for much when your average game might sell 2.5 million copies on the 360 and 150,000 on PC.

27. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 23:24 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 16:53:
But if you play to the PC's strengths (again, Battlefield 3 is the best current example), then the PC version can do quite well in comparison.

Dollars to donuts says the PS3/360 versions of BF3 collectively did at least 5x that of the PC.

Dwarfed.

WoW has sold what 30 or 40 million copies of WoW and its subsequent expansions plus monthly fees for several years to 12 million'ish people? Yeah, I can see where the PC market just isn't at all profitable.

Because one game is the sum of the market?

It proves that the PC market is more than viable with a product people want and in fact can crush the console market.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

26. oh noooooooooooo!!!! Nov 27, 2011, 23:09 space captain

quick! someone tell videogames that "muscular beaver" doesnt care about them anymore!  
Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 22:34 Slashman

What's wrong with BF3 that's got Muscular Beaver's panties in a knot?

I haven't played it so I'm curious.

24. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 22:22 Dades

Ventura wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 21:33:
The problem is that, as far as effort vs reward is concerned, it's just not there.

I don't see any evidence to support that. The bulk of development is multiplatform work and it depends on the game in question whether PC exclusive features make sense or not. Battlefield 3 worked out well for EA and didn't compromise the console versions at all. It gave me a flagship title to launch Origin and PC games tend to have higher profit margins than console titles.

23. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 21:33 Ventura

it just takes some effort specifically directed at the PC stage of development for it to be pulled off successfully.

The problem is that, as far as effort vs reward is concerned, it's just not there. They're clearly much better off just catering to the console crowd and porting half-arsed crap across.

Granted, it doesn't give them any right to complain about sales numbers on the PC though.

22. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 20:58 Muscular Beaver

I really dont care anymore. There is no use to it anyway since mainstream will always be stronger than quality. They are so dumbed down by consoles already, they are even calling BF3 a real PC game... It has come that far...

Anyway, I am pretty much done with my gaming hobby. I have 1 or 2 games running on my PC. Sometimes a MMO, sometimes a real PC game (like ArmA 2 for example) that I play regularly. I might be buying Mass Effect 3 when it comes out, just too see how it all ends, and I am still curious about Natural Selection 2, but thats about it. PC games are now only shitty console ports that all play the same way and are extremely dumbed down. Complexity seems to be a new taboo. Consoles and people who supported bullshit platforms like Steam and thus encouraged other publishers to do the same shit, only worse, are to blame. But I really dont care anymore. Im putting more effort into my other hobbies now.

I will miss the days when you could play Tribes without hassle with some bloatware and spyware running in the background, explored nice worlds in Bioware and Black Isle games, laughing out loud in TFC because of funny gameplay situations, not funny graphics, or enjoyed Spacesims. But I know Im just lying to myself when I keep hoping everyday for a proper X-Wing remake announcement or a proper AvP2 sequel, or Bioware making real RPGs again.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2011, 21:06.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

21. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 20:40 Tanto Edge

Maybe if PCs were as accessible in hardware, then we wouldn't have this issue.
Given a console is effectively a computer, just with a predetermined hardware/software spec.
Make a modular console and everybody would be happy.
Square one? No, square 1.1
We've been following the same fucking concept in terms of hardware model since the nineteen seventies when atari, coleco, intellivision and the rest were duking it out.
But fuck that, let's rewind a little further and watch as Apple, IBM, Xerox and a fuck load of other assholes all develop their own standards and bend the market over.

People need to realize that arguing over DRM is fucking idiotic.
Piracy never killed PC gaming. Accessibility is all it has ever been about.
There are more 360 torrents now than PC. PS3 is creeping and will eventually outdo PC altogether as well. Just a matter of how many people give a shit about the online service.
Games still work after all.

The whole conversation is moot until somebody addresses the real issue, and it's never been piracy, never been DRM, never been whether or not all consumers can afford the hardware to run it well.
It's always been about accessibility. (People tone back graphics, or upgrade hardware, because PC games are scalable. Always have been.)
With every little failure that PC suffered, up to and including the recent Rage debacle, the platform has been backed into a corner and kicked in the nuts.

Until the accessibility of the PC platform is properly addressed (online services is kind of a step in the right direction) nothing is going to evolve. Origin and Steam and the billion other services, are doing it 'right', but we as a consumer base cannot be expected to suffer multiple fucking spyware networks (I speak of Origin specifically) crammed into our hard drive.

What if these companies developed better solutions in accessibility?
Steam's driver auto updates are a great idea.. if they work properly.

I know hardware companies aren't going to start playing nice with each other. That would be ludicrous I suppose. However, there's nothing stopping a company like Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo from developing the console to accept multiple upgrade modules. What a concept. Like a PC, but not.
What if software was ubiquitous because developers or operating systems supported wrappers? Play your console title on the PC for a better experience, or play it on your special custom console..

Ugh, whatever.
Skyrim is great. Here's hoping the next one doesn't whittle even more. Strangely, I refuse to patch because then I'd have to run the Steam service in the background. Fuck achievements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

20. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 19:54 TurdFergasun

PHJF wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 15:35:
We got Crysis and it underperformed. The PC market is just too dwarfed by that of the consoles.

missed the point completely. crysis was a game, seemingly designed for the wishes of a console demographic, but with the capabilities of pc hardware. pc gaming doesn't need this level of development to succeed.

PHJF wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 19:12:
The point is you're a dumbass. You exhibited BF3 as a proper PC game and yet its console versions far eclipsed the sales numbers of the PC version. In what retarded fucking universe does that SUPPORT your little theory?

the point, dickhole, is that a game can be made that appeases the pc audience without pissing off one group over the other, it just takes some effort specifically directed at the PC stage of development for it to be pulled off successfully. your avatar is correctly chosen as you're about as skilled at reason as your character of choice. goof.

19. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 19:43 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 19:25:
You exhibited BF3 as a proper PC game and yet its console versions far eclipsed the sales numbers of the PC version.

Do you have an actual source for these numbers?

Xbox Sales top PC and PS3 combined.

Granted that doesn't take into account Origin sales since they refuse to report that number, but when you also take into account the player count and take note that PC players are, on average, outnumbered 3:1 by console players, then you can fairly easily extrapolate the difference in sales.

The gap is narrower than it is in many other games (MW3 for example) but it's still quite obvious that the console versions significantly outsold the PC version.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo