Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On ManiaPlanet and ShootMania

An article on GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) recaps a presentation at Ubisoft's Digital Day in London by Thomas Paincon where Ubisoft's online brand marketing group manager talks about Nadeo's ManiaPlanet portal, the upcoming first-person shooter ShootMania, and user-created content. "It will give the freedom to the FPS community to build their own games, to build their own modes," said Paincon. "Because right now ManiaPlanet is just Trackmania 2 Canyon, we can't see the different bridges between both titles. Now it is a concept, but when ShootMania releases next year it will be more understandable to players, how they can benefit from one to the other." He also discusses shooter business models: "And because its not free-to-play there will not be any 'I buy this weapon so I'm more powerful.' It's a concept, it's a gamble, because its new, but this is the strength of Ubisoft - we have a different mindset," he explained. "We have Ghost Recon Online at the other end, which is more realistic, team-play, strategy, free-to-play. It's our strength to be able to test the different business models."

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. removed Nov 27, 2011, 05:40 chenghan

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 27, 2011, 05:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: On ManiaPlanet and ShootMania Nov 26, 2011, 16:47 Hump

Maybe Ubisoft can take a minute from patting itself on the back about the business model Nadeo invented and actually credit Nadeo with taking the initial risks.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: On ManiaPlanet and ShootMania Nov 26, 2011, 11:45  Hylis 

Making solo modes by players is going to arrive with Maniaplanet 2.0. We still have work to do on this. But for puzzle mode, I don't know since it requires specific works. The time of play and the number of puzzle created by players have always been low. So, I feel that we have done it with TrackMania 1, for many releases, where the blocs and gameplay where also probably more adapted for it, and I have other priorities at the moment. So, it is a maybe.

Selling the company to Ubisoft is a way to establish new strategy. Maniaplanet is a long term one. This way, maybe we can bring positive things to the publisher as well. I feel that the goal is not to throw away all games in the same bag, but to comment on each one and say what you like or not. This is what make publisher move, much more than global, and undistinctive deny, in my oppinion. Even more when there are positive things. Then, they can compare internally the success of such and such design, or such and such model, like Thomas explained.

And thank you for your consideration for our team I hope you will be able to see how well we were able to go on the right path with them. Just some months to wait. \o/

4. Re: On ManiaPlanet and ShootMania Nov 26, 2011, 09:21 Shadowcat

Hylis: What's the status of Puzzle mode for TM2? (It is going to happen at some point, right?)

Also, I'm sure there's plenty of creativity among Ubisoft employees, but for anyone who cares about DRM, Ubisoft is pretty much the most hated big publisher there is, and Nadeo selling itself to Ubisoft was one of the saddest items of gaming news ever.

3. Re: On ManiaPlanet and ShootMania Nov 26, 2011, 06:56  Hylis 

Paketep, it has been a long time. I hope you are not the Paketep posting instructions on Pirate Bay on how to run a TrackMania crack one month ago

Anyway, as you know already, on our side, we are working hard since 10 years exclusively on PC.

Meanwhile, in addition to TrackMania 2 Canyon, Ubisoft just released Anno 2070 and Might and Magic Heroes VI. As PC exclusives solid released over the last three months, it is something positive for the platform, even if there are things to be improved.

If you consider Ubisoft looking for only one model, one game, one idea, then you would make it a pretty sad company to work for. Testing diversity, exploring various ways, enabling differents projects to go in their own direction is for me the greatest strength of Ubisoft.

Rocksmith, From Dust and Rayman Origins recent releases are also creative in their own way. If Just Dance and Assassin's Creed are sequels, millions of players are enjoying them a lot at the moment, and I find it natural to work on it for them. And by the way, these titles are originally made by Ubisoft more than they are borrowed from other success.

All of this to say that there is creativity and diversity at Ubisoft, and that the players are here to express what they like and dislike, case by case, in order to help it to evolve the way they would enjoy it more.

As Thomas said, there are different models. It is as obvious as having differents games and different people with different views of the PC gaming environment. At Nadeo, inside Ubisoft, we believe it is the best place for enjoying online creativity, by players. And I really hope that ShootMania will demonstrate how powerful it is.

2. Re: On ManiaPlanet and ShootMania Nov 25, 2011, 21:31 Paketep

He's saying exactly that.

Fucking Ubi. After this week of idiocy, I can't buy even from Nadeo anymore. Damn it, Nadeo, why did you have to sell your soul to the demon?.

1. Re: On ManiaPlanet and ShootMania Nov 25, 2011, 20:29 Dev

So are you saying that since ghost recon online IS that way, that its going to be pay to win?  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo